My Graduation Project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Fokker Graduation Project

So I finally reached my last year of college and I have decided to make an animated short for my graduation project. Seeing as I've always had a connection with airplanes and my father worked for Fokker for over 20 years, I thought it would be interesting to make a video about the evolution of Fokker, particularly the wing and engine designs.

I will be modeling, animating, texturing, lighting, rendering, and compositing the short myself. The 4 airplanes I will be modeling are the Fokker Spin , Fokker F.VII , Fokker F-27 Friendship , and the new Rekkof 100NG (A newer version of the Fokker 100)

I will be posting updates here, as well as on my Tumblr account as often as possible.

Here is the latest update:

Full Size

Last edited by Snipes-nl : 01 January 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Update:

Full Size

To do:
Door
Ailerons
Cockpit
Bottom half of wing skin

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Finished the F.VII

Next plane on the list: Fokker Spin

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Old 12 December 2012   #4
With Christmas and other obligations, I haven't had too much time to work on the project unfortunately. Here is what I got done so far on the Fokker Spin:

For Full Size Click Here

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Looking good! which 3D app do you use?

Jonathan

[unnecessary URL advertising removed by admin]

Last edited by leigh : 12 December 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Hey, I really like the visual style, sortof like a 3d blueprint.. very simple but i like it.
Looking forward to the animation.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Hey, thanks for the replies.

@Jonathan
I use Maya for the modeling (and animation/lighting when I get to it) and After Effects for the compositing.

Old 01 January 2013   #8

Click for Full Size

- Most of the wiring is done now.
- Spent a lot of time on the propeller to get the right shape.
- Tail section completed as well.

To Do:
- Engine
- Small adjustments to make welds more realistic
- Wiring
- Seating

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Excellent model. I particularly like how you reinforced the wings and fuselage skin manifolds with what appears to be an accurate underlying skeletal structure.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Very good modeling so far. I also like you idea for the demo-reel. If you can get it done to the level you set up with your first plane, I am sure it will be your hiring ticket. A little suggestion: I think the background color is a bit too saturated, desaturate it a bit or make it as a realistic sky (perhaps upper atmosphere look with stars). Good luck, and Happy New Year!

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post is your composition needs a bit of adjusting if your final shots will be anything like the ones you have shown. Your model seems at war with the canvas edges. Either give the plane more room , or zoom in closer. You don't have to fit in the whole thing every time.

Last edited by AlexSarakapudaff : 01 January 2013 at 11:07 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
@Luxxeon
Thank you for the kind words. I'm working with reference I found online of the production line so I'm trying to stick as close as possible to the real thing. I talked with my teacher and he's requesting me to place the actual wiring of the plane as well, which makes sense seeing as I will be focusing on the wings and engine during the animation so they should be getting as much detail as possible. I hope to have some time left at the end of the modeling phase to add in this detail.

@AlexSarakapudaff
Thanks for the tips on the composition. Though the background and composition that I am using now are just for showcase purposes. In the animation I have planned, the airplanes will be flying through the air, possibly with 3D clouds, but most likely with 2D clouds or maybe even just a skybox (time being the main factor here as both 3D cloud systems as well as 2D painting aren't my strong points, will have the girlfriend probably make me a nice 2D backdrop :P)

Old 01 January 2013   #13
"Finished" the Fokker Spin/Spider. Some of the cables are black due to normal errors, these will be fixed before the animation of course. Also, the wires are thicker than in reality to make them pop a bit more but will also be scaled down for the animation. Here are some screenshots:

Click for Full Size

Click for Full Size

Click for Full Size

Click for Full Size

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Forgot to upload the tail render. Not that impressive or interesting, but seeing as it's one of the main features of the plane, I thought I'd upload it.

Click for Full Size

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Started work on the F27 Friendship. The engine cases are just box models for now and will be replaced as soon as I get started on them.

Click for Full Size

Thread Closed share thread