On The Summer Dew

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
On The Summer Dew

Hi guys!

Few days ago I submitted the following image to Showcase Gallery, but received this message:
" Your image currently does not meet the general quality level of the Showcase Gallery. There could be a number of different reasons, but generally, images are rejected due to artistic or technical problems. "

What do you think about the image? Any c&c?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Riccardo

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Looks great! I totally cannot understand by this is rejected.

The auto reply are rather poor in my view, reject due either to artistic or technical reasons, as opposed to? & what do you mean by technical reasons?

In any case, I hope someone could help. At the same time, you may considered posting to other sites.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
i think it lacks environment and looks too real. i would recommend to make it look a bit unrealistic.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Well it's an autoreply so it has to cover all possible eventualities. What kind of autoreply would you like to see? And sadly yes, it has to be an autoreply, we get hundreds of submissions every week and don't get paid to process them. And for certain other more basic errors we do have other replies we use.

This image is very beautiful, I didn't vote on it myself so I have no knowledge of why it was voted down. If the purpose of the image was to show a macroscopic shot of beautiful nature with high realism, I think you have succeeded, and I have no crits to give, except the spider web is too thin, and maybe experiment with some more contrasty more dramatic lighting. See reference here:
http://www.123rf.com/photo_9153297_...n-a-meadow.html
http://www.123rf.com/photo_8177906_...n-a-flower.html
http://www.colourbox.com/image/blos...s-image-2548333

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: Well it's an autoreply so it has to cover all possible eventualities. What kind of autoreply would you like to see? And sadly yes, it has to be an autoreply, we get hundreds of submissions every week and don't get paid to process them. And for certain other more basic errors we do have other replies we use.

This image is very beautiful, I didn't vote on it myself so I have no knowledge of why it was voted down. If the purpose of the image was to show a macroscopic shot of beautiful nature with high realism, I think you have succeeded, and I have no crits to give, except the spider web is too thin, and maybe experiment with some more contrasty more dramatic lighting. See reference here:
http://www.123rf.com/photo_9153297_...n-a-meadow.html
http://www.123rf.com/photo_8177906_...n-a-flower.html
http://www.colourbox.com/image/blos...s-image-2548333

I understand autoreply rational, but the point is, the autoreply isn't helpful in a meaningful way. Maybe a simple checkbox system (where you can check more than one item). Surely it shouldn't take too long.
say.

1) Incomplete (one or few areas feel incomplete)
2) Poor render quality, please improve render quality & try resummit
3) Composition can be improve, suggest make WIP thread to seek critics
4) Description does not convey the image well enough. Please revise description.
5) Posture (character specific), need improvement, either too simplify, unnatural, or just have no posture.
6) Suspicious of photo manipulation. Please summit with links to prove your work.

Keep it simple & have max 10 check-box. At least people have some ideas where to improve.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
I can not say why it was rejected. I did not reject it either.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Thanks guys for you replies!

@Stahlberg:
Thank you for your kind comment, I am really glad you liked the image.
Regarding spiderweb, I'm not joking when I say it was the hardest part to visualize best in the globality of the image.
First it was thinner compared to the final version, because of photo references and - more than this - because it is a side detail: it has to be "soft looking" but it's a necessary element for me.
Finally I decided to make web thicker because it was really next to invisible (and - aesthetically speaking - I did not want to fill it with a lot of small drops).

Regarding lights, you did an useful chritic. I could work a bit more on postproduction for making it more dramatic.

(these are the references I used for "small" spiderwebs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7DuBsAsF2...r+web+dew+2.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/m...the-gardens.jpg

http://s5.favim.com/orig/51/flower-....com-484053.jpg

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...9-ECDR-0005.jpg)

@Putterfish:
Thank you for your clarification.

I hope lildragon will share his point too!

Thank you all again for your time

Last edited by ramonesFAN : 12 December 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
one question. how many judges are here to vote for the showcase gallery?

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Hi guys,
I worked a bit more on colours and lighting - like Stahlberg suggested me - but the image was rejected again.
Is it possible to know who is the admin that voted it,and the reason why he rejected the image again?

thanks

edit: you can see the updated image in my portfolio

Old 12 December 2012   #10
From a technical level, there is no reason to reject at all. I think maybe the judges thought this is photo manipulation.

Its always a good idea to pose (or have a link) to wires or clay renders as well etc. to proved that the work is done by you and not a photo manipulation. Maybe as well as a short description on the tools used.

Old 12 December 2012   #11

I can show you all the wires you want, maybe you are right.
Do you think I should reupload the image with wires?

It's not possible to be rejected two times only because you did not attached wires in your description, it's a personal decision. And if judges are doubtful - also because it's the second rejection - they should ask you to show them some wires before rejecting again.

Old 12 December 2012   #12
I didn't vote on that image, but if I were to give you a critique for it that would help make it stronger, I'd say I agree with Steven--it could use stronger modeling of form from the lighting, so that it's not as flat looking. The composition could also be better--the overall visual design isn't very interesting in terms of contrast of focal area vs. supporting area. I don't know if you've studied composition seriously before, but if you haven't, it'll definitely help if you studied composition, as analyze really great compositions and deconstruct what makes them brilliant in their visual design of overall arrangement of shapes, values, colors, edges, focal points, eye-leading, contrasting elements, etc.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Thank you for your reply Lunatique.
I agree with your point, but does this image seriously deserve a rejection?

I mean, composition could not be at its best - it's really subjective - but it's not casual, I worked on.
In my opinion, colors, elements position and DoF are working well together, they are well merged and balanced. And the system butterfly/lilly are obviously the focal point of the image.

I cannot believe this is the reason for the rejection, because the composition is not Orrible, neither bad. I can absolutely assert the same for the technical part of it.

Don't you think the same? Do you think composition is so bad for being the cause of the double rejection?

I'm Absolutely Not safeguarding or protecting my image.
I'm only trying to understand.

Thank you again, and please feel free to suggest me the title of the best composition book/s on which you have studied/worked on.

Last edited by ramonesFAN : 12 December 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #14
I probably would have accepted the image if I got to vote on it. Like I have mentioned in the past, the judges do not agree with each other all the time, so even if I would have accepted it, it doesn't mean whoever rejected it would agree.

I have openly expressed my disagreement with the current gallery voting system--it is problematic and needs to be revamped, and CGS is working on it right now as we speak. I've had many discussions with them about the need to improve it, and they're finally taking action to revamp the system. The change that's coming will do away with the voting/acceptance/rejection system altogether, and use a editor's choice/spotlight system instead. No more rejections. Your images in your portfolio will simply get chosen to be featured if they are excellent.

Old 12 December 2012   #15
Ok, I think the images should be voted by more admins (for ex. three), and not by only one.
But I can understand it could be hard for you because you have a big amount of work to do.

Quote: I have openly expressed my disagreement with the current gallery voting system--it is problematic and needs to be revamped, and CGS is working on it right now as we speak. I've had many discussions with them about the need to improve it, and they're finally taking action to revamp the system. The change that's coming will do away with the voting/acceptance/rejection system altogether, and use a editor's choice/spotlight system instead. No more rejections. Your images in your portfolio will simply get chosen to be featured if they are excellent.

Does this mean Showcase Gallery will disappear?
I find it quite useful and really interesting, there are a lot of good images in here.

Thank you again for your reply

Thread Closed share thread