Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #16
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

@WChestnutt
Thanks for you input, although I don't agree with your comment about the lamp lighting. I use to have a 80's lamp in my bedroom and the lighting was strong, but then again quite soft. Even when it was pointing down it easily lit my whole room without there being any defining shadows. It maybe a different case with newer lamps however, especially ones that use an LED.
As for the composition, you've truly left me with something to think about. The overall plan originally was to have a standard viewpoint, but evoke an emotional response by the moody lighting, particular objects in the scene and of course nostalgia. I don't have a timeline for completion on this though and I have a 6 hour drive tomorrow which I will use for thinking!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Here is my updated scene. This will be the last update until new years as I have to travel north to spend time with the family for Christmas.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Happy Holidays

Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
Happy Holidays

You too!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

The biggest problem, conceptually, with your scene is that it looks too contrived. Everything is too carefully and sparsely placed. You need more chaos, more clutter. Have heaps of dirty coffee mugs and saucers, Chinese takeout boxes and Big Gulp cups strewn about. Add 80s nerdy pop culture posters to the walls, like Heavy Metal (the comic) and Tron. Stick an old cassette stereo in there somewhere along with heaps of cassettes. Add stacks of disks, an ashtray with a burning cigarette in it, and some a plate with a half eaten burrito. Sprinkle some crumbs around. Since you don't have a character in your scene, you need to rely on the objects creating a sense of story and context in order for your image to be compelling, which is why you should get a little crazy with them, to create the environment of a workaholic geek.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
The biggest problem, conceptually, with your scene is that it looks too contrived. Everything is too carefully and sparsely placed. You need more chaos, more clutter. Have heaps of dirty coffee mugs and saucers, Chinese takeout boxes and Big Gulp cups strewn about. Add 80s nerdy pop culture posters to the walls, like Heavy Metal (the comic) and Tron. Stick an old cassette stereo in there somewhere along with heaps of cassettes. Add stacks of disks, an ashtray with a burning cigarette in it, and some a plate with a half eaten burrito. Sprinkle some crumbs around. Since you don't have a character in your scene, you need to rely on the objects creating a sense of story and context in order for your image to be compelling, which is why you should get a little crazy with them, to create the environment of a workaholic geek.

Great lot of ideas! Thanks.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I think it needs a Rubiks Cube on the desk, apparently everyone had a cube back then. Otherwise it's good work, well done.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #23
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
I think it needs a Rubiks Cube on the desk, apparently everyone had a cube back then. Otherwise it's good work, well done.

Consider it done, haha.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Today's progress.
The biggest issue that's worrying me at the moment is how the left side is lighted. Should I just let it fade off into darkness, or brighten is up somehow?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
WChestnutt
Lord of the posts

portfolio
William Chestnutt
Director
Lymington, United Kingdom

Nice progress I think once you sort the screen out (green or gray) it will even out the brightness of the scene and you might not have to add many more lights etc. Just wondering if you will put a different chair in?... If the idea is that he is a computer geek/programmer then I reckon a comfy chair of the time uld have been top of the list?...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #26
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WChestnutt
Nice progress I think once you sort the screen out (green or gray) it will even out the brightness of the scene and you might not have to add many more lights etc. Just wondering if you will put a different chair in?... If the idea is that he is a computer geek/programmer then I reckon a comfy chair of the time uld have been top of the list?...

The problem with putting in a huge, plush chair (which is what I originally wanted to do) is that it blocks my whole scene. This is why I decided on a stool, as it's better than no seating at all. Maybe I could create a plush stool instead though...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #27
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

It could look nice to have a chair with a back in the scene. It might help to add a little depth, and if you pull the chair out and angle it to the side, it could help stage the scene a little.

I goggle image searched "vintage desk chair", and got some nice results you could use as reference. It doesn't have to be something with a full back or arm rest.

-AJ

Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #28
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
I goggle image searched "vintage desk chair", and got some nice results you could use as reference. It doesn't have to be something with a full back or arm rest.

Maybe something like this?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

More progress! C&C appreciated.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan Meharry
Perth, Australia

I haven't really done too much since my last post; just some tweaking. Here is a what it looks like at a higher resolution than normal.

I would like to think it's just about finished. Thoughts?

Thread Closed share thread