Willem Dafoe -_- Sci-Fi

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
astu11 - Thanks! It's nice to hear.

xtrm3d - HAHA! You're so right! Maybe I should add the Shrek ears just for fun... nahhhh!

I've started getting this weird bug in ZBrush with one of my layers. It's like there's noise in the mesh but I never used any surface noise on it. I Had this bug before on another project where I would simply turn on and off a layer many times and it would get worse and worse.

This time I don't get where the noise comes from. The only hint I have is it's happening on the layer where I'm sculpting the pose. Also, I imported the low res pose from a 3dsmax rig.

has this happened to anybody before? It's very frustrating.

And here's a small update.

Old 02 February 2013   #32
I did some work on the other character.

Old 02 February 2013   #33
totally love that thread always make my day seeing an update here keep going

Old 02 February 2013   #34
thebest - Thanks man! A comment like that is very much appreciated.

Old 02 February 2013   #35
I can't imagine him bleeding into his eye without wiping it off with the back of his hand

Old 02 February 2013   #36
tobbew - The idea is that it just happened. Also, none of it is in the eye. It goes from the eyebrow to the cheek.

Here's where I'm going with the composition.

Old 02 February 2013   #37
Compositionally, I don't know if its working with both of them facing the same direction (them both being roughly humanoid shaped 'people'.

I always took it as he was lunging forward, in a desperate 'last strike' attempt.

Im sure that another more experienced artist could give a better crit than that tho! Really like his head gash.

Old 02 February 2013   #38
Pyke - Thanks. I have to admit, I don't have much experience with making compositions.

I managed to make the main character point to the monster's head with both his hands and I'll lower him so the main guy's head is more in the "point of interest" zone.

What do you mean by "'last strike attempt" thing? Are you talking about the monster or did you mean you saw the space-suit man as being the attacker?

Old 02 February 2013   #39
yeah i agree that so far the composition is not working. it would be nice to have more direct angle, and see the whole long spooky corridor, with the monster in it with some strong silhouette.
defoe can then run in some other corridor perpendicular to the main one (i quess it would be a wide angle shot)

also, since he will be running from the monster i would suggest you indicate where (putting a sign on the wall or something like thet), this context is imho important. . for example putting a sign on the wall saying, 'emergency shuttle bay' wouldnt make justice to defoes resolute expression. but putting there a sign like for example 'armory' would add a completely different story to the piece, suddenly defoe isnt running to safety, but for a gun to settle some scores.

my 2 cents.

Old 02 February 2013   #40
kybel - Thank you for your 2 cents and sorry my late reply, I didn't work on the project in a while. I decided to go another direction. I didn't like how I had to light the background and hope it would look great on the characters. I'm going a simpler way.

I understand what you mean about adding a sign like "emergency shuttle bay" but I don't agree. If things are placed there for the viewer to see, it feels exacly that way: it's been put there just for the viewer. I like to approach composition like a still of a movie. I think it should not be too obvious to the viewer and there needs to be a bit of mystery behind it.

But like I said, I decided to got another way with it and focus more on presenting the character.

Old 02 February 2013   #41
I added a little detail that "completes" the image. All that's left is re-rendering with better settings, higher resolution.

Old 02 February 2013   #42
Don't forget the background curtain - it has a repetitive pattern that is noticible, and you have a "hole" between it and the ground. It would be a shame to let that ruin the final image, and it's a real quick fix. Cheers!

Old 02 February 2013   #43
Thanks! I'll repair that.

Old 02 February 2013   #44
hahaha teh last one is awesome !!

Old 02 February 2013   #45
xtrm3d - Thanks! Here's what I think is the final picture. I'll post it in my gallery soon.

Thread Closed share thread