Willem Dafoe -_- Sci-Fi

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Willem Dafoe -_- Sci-Fi

Hi,

This is a head I tried making about 2-3 years ago. I decided to put what I've learned since then to the test and redo this project from scratch. I'm trying to make a Sci-Fi suit for it as well with a bit of hard surface armor.

I'm hoping that posting here will kick my butt into working a bit faster.

Base modeling and rendering in 3dsmax/Vray, UVs in maya, texturing in Mari/photoshop and sculpting in zbrush.

Hope you like.

12 December 2012
Facial is great but you can improve the eyes textures don't feel the same quality as the face

12 December 2012
really nice... looking forward to see progress for sure

12 December 2012
Scote - Thanks! I got the same sort of comment on ZbrushCentral. They also say I should change the color of the lips. I'll get on that later since I'm focusing on the space suit.

xtrm3d - Thanks, I appreciate it!

Here's an update on the suit.

Is it possible to upload bigger images?

12 December 2012
I did not get to work on it as much as I wanted these days but here's an update.

01 January 2013
I wasn't home a lot lately but I managed to work on it some more. I've done the UVing and I'm starting the textures on the suit. I

I"ll resize the shoes since he kinda looks like a clown at the moment.

01 January 2013
Talking Update!

I mainly (and manly) worked on the textures.

Hope you like.

01 January 2013
irfanil - Thank you!

I did one more render for fun. I'm gonna start rigging tomorow.

01 January 2013
Are you sure his head isn't too big? In the 5th post without all those wrinkles in his face he reminds me of a 12-year old skinny kid.

01 January 2013
Tushkan - It's very possible. I was actually thinking about it. Thanks.

01 January 2013
I fixed the head size and made the shoulders a bit wider. I also took the skin's bump map and applied it as a displacement. Still need to tweak that.

01 January 2013
Dude, it looks awesome so far!

Can you post a close-up of the hands? I'm a bit curious about how it looks from another angle.

As a beginner, I would like to make some questions... any answer will be much appreciated!

1. Do you mind to share your workflow? I mean.. you begin with a basemesh, then sculpt, retopo and UVs, sculpt again and then texturing? I'm looking for a way to develop my own models, but don't know exactly how to proceed.

2. The high frequency details are baked normal maps? Or are you handling the full sculpted model in Maya?

3. Did you sculpted the clothes using the same workflow?

Thanks in advance! Looking foward for uptades.

01 January 2013
His shoulders look too low.

01 January 2013
philmartin - Thanks!
1. When I do it for an image rather than an animation, I start by making the most Zbrush-friendly meshes possible inside of 3dsmax, I sculpt in ZB, UV with a combination of maya (to create seams an place the UV islands) and Zbrush (to unfold the patches). I tend to make many UVs per object so I can create high res textures (The head, for example, has a total of 14 x 2048px maps). Than, I texture with Foundry's MARI and Photoshop. And I render with 3ds max/Vray.

2. I usually make a simple bump map for the skin but this time I displaced it in zbrush.

3. Pretty much the same thing for the cloth. I make sur the UV island corresponds to where the seams on the real cloth would be.

philmartin - Thanks. I think when I reduced the head size, I did not lower it like I should have.

I had a big set back with corrupted files. Turns out, if my CAT rig is not in "Setup" mode (not in animation mode) the saved file will not open. I was still able to do an update.

With the hand that needs tweaking:

Thread Closed share thread