Low poly game modelling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Low poly game modelling

Hi guys, I am new to modelling. I am not a complete noob, but my major competence is in lighting and VFX side of things. I have a project from Sony games for which I need to model a low poly version of the Oval office at the white house and show that it is destroyed by something. So, I have started modelling a door and this is what it looks like right now:

Door

This has 393 faces at the moment. Is that a decent number? This is not a central piece in the environment, but the player might have a look at it? Can I optimise more on it or does it need more detail. I am planning to add more detail at the texturing stage.
I know it would be more relevant if I posted the wireframe as well, but I am home now and the file is at the labs. Will update it in the evening

Thanks in advance for any critique.

12 December 2012
Depending on what kinda game and what kinda machine it's supposed to run on.
Low Poly graphic for PC will be different from on any Smartphone. And assets in FPS game will be different from assets in RTS and so on.

Anyway, you are right that without wireframe, I can't tell much.
And without seeing the texture sheets, I can't tell much either.

But I'm sure that you can cut down the polycount a lot more if you use texture maps instead of modeling those details on the door.

12 December 2012
Critique friendly version

Sorry about that silly post guys. I am really new to modelling. This post is more geared towards critique. I have posted the wireframe of the piece and also wireframes of all the associated pieces.

http://suryanshurai.blogspot.co.uk/...val-office.html

Last edited by SuryanshuRai : 12 December 2012 at 12:44 AM.

12 December 2012
It looks fine, except that shape at the top of the frame, it doesn't really add anything to the overall look and its adding unnecessary polygons to the model. Now, the actual door, has way too many polygons to be used in game, what you need to do is take that model and bake it on to a low poly model (in this case, just a cube, sized to match the door) as a normal map.

When you model for a game, you use as few polygons (which are counted in triangles, a quad=2 triangles) as you can get away with. For something like a door, you don't want to use very many, unless its a huge/important door.

Technical things aside, it looks very nice and clean, so you did a good job on it, you just aren't quite done yet.

12 December 2012
Thanks for the feedback man The shape on the top is in the concept art, so have to have that in there. And yeah I agree with the normal map you were talking about. Will try to do that and update the scene.
Cheers!

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread