Aston Martin DB9

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Aston Martin DB9

Hey guys, started this a few days ago, trying to get it near photo real, obviously still have a bit of work to do to get there, but I'd appreciate any critique I can get on what I've done so far.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Exclamation

Apply some paint materials & post images.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by naky007
Apply some paint materials & post images.

Here's an update, with a paint shader this time.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Hmm...I forgot to mention this previously the fenders of the car need to be perfectly curved, I have attached a image you will get it & one thing i can see is the symmetry line in middle get rid of that...i couldnt see it in default shader now its visible.other than that i guess you are done with modeling. So whats your further plan? Animation or just plane 3D stills?

One small trick i want to give...its nothing big but i use this trick. I see that you have not created a fuel cap, or u maybe planning for, but i just thought ill pass u a idea.There are two ways you can achieve this.
1. modify geometery & create fuel cap (bit tedious job)
2. know where u want to create a cap. Then select the faces where you want it, unwrap that area alone(use planer map for those faces only; & rest body UVs, stack em small somwhere else u dont need to unwrap them). Then go to photoshop & create a silhouette of the fuel cap or whatever the aston martin's fuel cap looks like. now use this image as bump & diffuse.

so i guess u got a idea what i am talking about it wont be real as it would be illusionary but it will look sweet belive me. Its not only limited to fuel caps u can create lots of things like...suppose its a low poly model then u can use this method and create door creases...window creases...hood creases...etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ast.jpg (63.1 KB, 15 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Hello,

Nice work so far. Don't take this as a negative but you will have a very loooong road ahead in making it photo real, but it should be a fun learning experience, and be prepared to learn as much as you possibly can about rendering, lighting, texturing, and modelling.

I would say the car needs some more details first, attention to the side windows, I think the mesh is bumpy here. Also the wheel arches are the wrong shape as pointed out, and also slightly bumpy mesh on the fenders. You didn't show any wires, but make sure you are modelling using the bare minimum number of polygons required.

The key to accurate vehicle curves is taking a long time planning your cars topology for each panel.

Wheels: Get some reference material and spend a day or two on the alloys, and then the tires and tread! make sure these are detailed and realistic, down to the bolt holes and tire bump.

Tighten up the edges on your panels, i.e the door etc. Make them sharp and then move the mesh to make the appropriate few mm gap.

Lighting and rendering: Experiment using an HDRI for the lighting and reflection. Then on your car shader use an incidence angle gradient on the reflection to mimic how reflection on real car paint works. Try looking at some car photoshoots (outdoor ones) as see how the sky reflection drops of and picks up dependant on the angle. Study this and experiment with your renders to try and mimic it.

All the time: Have fun, enjoy it, learn, and every car you model will be better and better.

Hope this helps, just some random ramblings. Feel free to check out my recent WIP of a Honda NSX in my signature... I am now modelling the interior, door jams etc, down to the locking mechanism in the door! hopefully then I will get my first photoreal render............

Old 12 December 2012   #6
thanks much for the critiques and advice guys!

Im working on fixing some of the pointed out issues, and am going to actually spend some time on the materials soon.
For now i just put a default car paint shader in mental ray to see how the shapes are reflecting/acting during render, however I do want to spend a bit off time on this to get it down clean...

I plan on choosing a reference image to attempt to recreate, such as this one

Last edited by JoeBCC : 12 December 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: readability

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread