Project - Car modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Project - Car modeling

Hi there,

I'm setting up a project and I am challenging myself to model a car.
This will be my first and I thought of modeling a Volkswagen Beetle, because I think this car will be somewhat easier then for example a Ferrari.

My question is if anyone got any advice for me before I start this project?

I'm using Maya.
Here are some references I was thinking about.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Originally Posted by MModels: This will be my first and I thought of modeling a Volkswagen Beetle, because I think this car will be somewhat easier then for example a Ferrari.

well not necessarily, the beetle might be a little harder than it looks at a first glance

Originally Posted by MModels: My question is if anyone got any advice for me before I start this project?

Collect enough references. Create a Spline cage before you start creating polygons. Itīs always a good idea to match perspective photos to the splinecage/model for best accuracy.

now letīs see some progress.

Cheers

P.S.: have you seen the Hardcore modelling challenge about movie cars, which just started. That might be a good motivator to join in.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thank you for your reply, I never used a spline cage method but I think I know what you mean.
So after I'm done with the spline cage I freeze it in place and start modeling with polygons and follow the reference images and the spline cage for best accuracy?

P.S. : Yes I just checked the Harcode modeling challange but I'm not ready for such a challange yet:P.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
well the basic idea of a spline cage is that you create a "3D blueprint" so to say. this makes modeling a lot more fun since you wonīt have to constantly line up verts in 3 views. you stay in perspective and simply snap the verts to the splines.
in addition to that it allows you to judge the accuracy at a very early stage based on the spline cage which makes changes a lot easier and less a PITA.

cheers

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Omg! thank you very much, I'll get right on it, too bad I have to work tomorrow but I will work on it every day and keep updates here. Thanks again mate!

Old 11 November 2012   #6
The Hardcore modeling challenge is for very one.. Don't be afraid any skills are welcome. Someone got to represent Herbie

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Originally Posted by Scote: The Hardcore modeling challenge is for very one.. Don't be afraid any skills are welcome. Someone got to represent Herbie

Haha, ok I will enter and do my very best to create Herbie

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread