watchtowers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #31
I believe some people can work without or few references or concept pictures (concept pictures can be made out of references), but for the rest of us, reference & concept are important for various reasons.

With a concept, you have an idea of how the final peace will look, & its a chance to get feedback before you do actual modeling. References served as references do, to see how close you are to real life. You do not necessary have to follow religiously with the reference, but its a good base for the work.

Personally, I love to make quick (some times not so quick) paint over with reference pictures slammed together & some get an idea of the overall picture. I think it is especially important for making an environment.

Not a shameless attempt to get you to see my thread , but if you look at my WIP thread (in my signature), you will notice I used a lot of references & stretches for both the characters & background. You will also notice, in my background, that I have added more details over the original concept pictures, & always almost have a concept before I made a 3D model for key elements, like the lanterns on the ground. WIthout the concept picture, I would not know if they worked, or where best to place them.

Back to your work. I think we can start with the mountains, I have looked up some references for you.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392..._2d8435f42d.jpg
http://www.myhimalayas.com/manaslu/image/bimtang.jpg
http://www.cruisenorway.co.uk/image...ten-islands.jpg

Old 11 November 2012   #32
wow. thanks for the reply and the reference. especially the third one.

Old 11 November 2012   #33
update

i updated the scene in view and added a castle/fortress on top of a new mountain.

Last edited by MurtazaRizvi : 11 November 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #34
It looks interesting now - the colors and the distant building are interesting.
I would work on the frontal wall, so it has counterforts. IT also looks too straight and not massive for some reason.

Old 11 November 2012   #35
thank you

thanks, but i dont know how counterforts would look or could you show me some real life reference.

Old 11 November 2012   #36
It's reinforcements of walls not to fall. I attached in the previous post different kinds of it.
http://images.yourdictionary.com/buttress

Old 11 November 2012   #37
thanks. well i added counterforts and it looks good. render coming up.

Old 11 November 2012   #38
hey mister3d, added the counterforts.

Old 11 November 2012   #39
Yeah, looks interesting. I would think how to break up the symmetry of the buildings, as the viewer gets the same amount of info from either side. Maybe counterforts could be a bit slimmer, comparing to the details at the top of the wall.

Old 11 November 2012   #40
Smile

thanks. but what do you mean by "break up the symmetry of the buildings, as the viewer gets the same amount of info from either side"? you mean it looks like half made and then mirrored? well the castle/fortress is going to be updated more. i thought of giving it a more detail and add towers to it.

Old 11 November 2012   #41
I may have double posted, we shall see.

Anyways, so yeah I did a paint over to illustrate a bit of PKD's point in regards to using refence and concepts. When I have an idea I usual do a quick 3D concept (usually in 3Ds max) then take the camera angle I like and bring it into photoshop and just grab pictures from the net and through them to create anything (textures, structures, points of interest, etc). You get a lot of happen accidents. Plus its a fun way to procrastinate from actually getting down to full modeling .

Good job so far with the additions! I hope you are seeing how each addition moves your art along the path to actually getting into the gallery.

Old 11 November 2012   #42
thanks, but i was going for a glacier type island.

Old 11 November 2012   #43
Originally Posted by MurtazaRizvi: thanks, but i was going for a glacier type island.

You mean the fortress on a glacier?

Thats technically not possible as the glacier is always moving downstream. I like joesomerville quick concept very much, you can think about explored his idea, if you are not to determined on the glacier theme. You can always made the fortress beside a glacier.

I would say also, do not focus on details & texture & black out the main blocks, in 3D maybe, then do quick paintover or slam some images from the net to get a feel.

Old 11 November 2012   #44
but how would i make theses types of mountains in 3d. any help

Old 11 November 2012   #45
hello. any help please.

Thread Closed share thread