Sci-fi corridor scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Sci-fi corridor scene

Just starting a simple sci-fi corridor scene - it WILL be done by the end of the year!

2D sketch:

3D block modelling:

I know lighting will be a key part to this scene, the most important lights are in place (I think).

Old 11 November 2012   #2
really love it man. Great enviro.

But I prefer you door sketch.. More relief to catch light

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Originally Posted by Scote: really love it man. Great enviro.

But I prefer you door sketch.. More relief to catch light

I agree. The sketch makes a stronger impression.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

There is often something about the energy of a quick 2D sketch that I hope to replicate in the final image but at this stage the block model is quite bleak and obviously precise in its representation of light. I'm using Studio Max, which I'm not that great at, so will do a huge amount of work in photoshop later on - adding in atmospheric fog to give a good sense of depth etc.

The images centre of attention will be the door. To help it stand out I'll lower it's local value (I think that's the right term!) and put bright lights on it. Anyway, we shall see...

Here's a small lighting update followed by some screen shots inside Studio Max.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
I think, that this shaft in ceiling on scetch works better than that spherical... window? giant lamp? in your block-out.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
The ceiling seems too low.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Have you thought about placing your sketch as a background in your viewport, and modelling the 3D directly off that?

I really like your sketch, but your 3D is missing a lot of what makes the 2D image good.

-AJ

Old 11 November 2012   #8
I think this 3D is a great start for this awesome sketch.
Sure, it needs a lots more atmosphere, but I think you're very aware of that.

Keep it coming.
I think you can make 3D even better then the sketch.

What render you're using?
3DS Max have pretty cool volumetric lights, that you can add with shadows and matte as a separate pass, and add that to the Photoshop (or render all together).

Old 11 November 2012   #9
really love the atmosphere, but do not make the eye-near things dark. other than that its great. waiting for the next update.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
A thought. Maybe add some lights on the side or bottom of the stairs.

I know its sci-fi, but the fans need a cover or there should be some railing to prevent someone from getting their body cut by the fan blades.

On a side note, I am always wondering why in sci fi setting, there is always a lot of overhang cables, when in 2012, we do not seems to have problem having our cables hidden or at least oragnised.

Old 11 November 2012   #11
Originally Posted by PKD: On a side note, I am always wondering why in sci fi setting, there is always a lot of overhang cables, when in 2012, we do not seems to have problem having our cables hidden or at least oragnised.

In Scifi, there is always repaired ship or patch ship. It's clearly the style of messy enviro instead of a clean one like Star Trek

Old 11 November 2012   #12
@ Darth-Biomech: Now you mention it, so do I - thanks! I'll remodel it in the next week.

@ mister3d: Without a human reference I do not think there is such a thing as 'too low/high'. Regardless, I don't believe the ceiling is too low. If you imagine a person walking through the door and 'trace' that back the ceiling seems fine to me.

@ AJ: It seems I don't have as much affection for my 2D sketch as you do! Sorry to let you down but I won't be tracing my sketch although it's a really nice idea, I might do that in the future.

@ PKD: Nice lighting idea, I may well follow your suggestion. And pfffff! Screw railings and neat wiring in space year 2152! We don't have time for that! (It would also mess with the composition which is the real reason).

Old 11 November 2012   #13
I prefer sci-fi with Ghetto like environment or messy stuffs. The future is no perfect

Old 11 November 2012   #14
The point is the ceiling in the concept is higher and looks better. Or, it looks so or feels so.

Last edited by mister3d : 11 November 2012 at 06:59 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Just a quick update on the lighting:

It's coming together I think - some smokeyness has been quickly indicated in Photoshop

Thread Closed share thread