WIP Character Critique requested please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
WIP Character Critique requested please

Hi

I've been working on a new character which I would like to post in the 3D Stills gallery. However, I thought it would be best to get some critique on my work before I attempt to submit. I'm basically looking to see if anyone can spot deficiencies/things in my model that might get my work rejected from the 3D Still gallery:

Here is the main still image:

Here are the various camera shots and wireframe images to show the breakdown:

and the zbrush model:

and the texture maps:

Software used included 3DS Max, ZBrush, Mudbox and Photoshop for final composites. I used concept art from the following website as a base for my model:

http://dsngsfm.blogspot.ca/2011/12/...-armor-and.html

Any critiques would be appreciated, especially things that I can improve. Thanks in advance!

11 November 2012
That looks fine to me, the wire frames seem to be text book perfect so well done. I cant see anything wrong with the textures either. Of course I'm not a judge and don't know what else they will look for, some of the older more experienced members here might be able to advise you better.

11 November 2012
Hi Dillster

Thanks, glad you like the wireframes .

11 November 2012
What this needs is a good background, like a war zone, or a futuristic cityscape.

11 November 2012
Cool idea Shadowlich ! I'm not much of a background artist, but maybe I can add some shadowy broken skyscrapers fallout style.

Do you see anything wrong about the models themselves by any chance (i.e. lighting, form etc).

11 November 2012
His foot and forearm elements are too shiny, almost white. I would reduce the specular there.

11 November 2012
Gotcha, the foot is actually white paint but it should probably be darker like you said because the armor in general is so old and dirty. Will tone the white down around those elements. Thanks! =)

11 November 2012
Good Job! That looks pretty tight!
To me, it's obvious the hands look too small.
It might look better if the pouches above the thighs weren't exactly straight and addressed the underlying structures.
It may look better if you had a more pronounced division between the upper and lower legs at the knees which are a bit high...to me.
It could look better if the back pelvic area of the lower was more descriptive of an ass. It reads as a front pelvis to me. It might be better higher and divided in the middle.
Hope that helps. Good luck!

11 November 2012
nice details

The armor block near the foot feels slightly big. The foot sole details can be improved also, the foot seems too wide. The entire character can a bit taller, somewhere the proportions near the thighs make the character look short.

Anyways keep up the good work.

11 November 2012
@ DoctorMonkeyFist

Thanks for the pointers! Now that you mention it, the hands do look kind of tiny. Definitely need to fix that.

@ far

Gotcha, the legs do look kind of disproportionate to the rest of the body. I'll try extending the thigh area to make the model taller and adjust the proportions of the foot.

Thanks for all the pointers everyone, really appreciate it! =)

11 November 2012
I think the legs are too far apart, be it cyborg or an actual person. The shoulder boxes, or pad are too large, & I can imagine that if he move his arms upwards, the boxes will hit the body armor.

I think, in the concept, the shoulder pads are of the right size, maybe you think aboutr making the pads closer to the concept.

I also have the feeling that the hydraulic pistons on the legs are being 'forced' inside the legs & looks rather simplistic. The moving part iof the piston should be more polished (brushed, or chrome) as it needs to move smoothly. Also from a mechanical standpoint, the piston do not work, as its too deep inside, without enough leverage to rotate the foot, which I suppose is the purpose.

Take a look at the ones from robot cop.

Also the ammo pouches are too boxy, & do not looks like its made out of fabric. I suggest maybe add a few more edge loop & deform them a little for a more organic look.

Also, I can totally not feeling the striped lights on the back. I think its is ok to have lights on the back, but the execution can be much improved in my view. Its too simplistic & lower slightly the overall quality at the back view.

11 November 2012
Hi PKD

I like all of your points . The pouches have been bothering me for a while too. I'll definitely change those like you said. And yeah, the pistons do look shoddy. I will look at the robocop one like you said and see how it's done right! I'll also try and shrink the armor pads and see how that turns out.

The lights on the back is a tricky one. Maybe the ones on the middle should go away.

Thanks again for all your advice. Really helpful on all my models!

11 November 2012
my pleasure.

I forgot to mention the character will look more badsass with a weapon (rifle, guns) or some sort.

11 November 2012
Definitely . Will need to consider that for a future project.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread