Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

1995 Ford Mustang WIP

Hello Everyone,

I have chosen to model a 1995 Ford Mustang as my first car model. I actually own a 95' and decided to model this car since I have it as a real life reference. Below are other refererences I have collected as well. It was hard to find a good blueprint for a 95' Mustang. Luckly, I found a blueprint for a 1994 Ford Mustand GT, which has a very similiar body style. I also took some photographs of the front, side and back of my Mustang.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

This is what I have accomplished thus far on the model. I have completed half the body, and am about to move onto the accessories. These would include, lights, ground effects, door handles, spoiler, antenna, mirrors, tires, and possibly the windshield wipers. Before I move on though, I would love any critiques or feedback as to the accuracy, detail, or overall look of the model. Any critiques or feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Not a bad start. Still looks a bit wobbly.

Can you post a few wireframe views?

You might need to even out your edge loops so your trim is of uniform thickness. Your wheel arches need some work too.

-AJ

Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Thanks for the feedback AJ. I can definely see the need for improvement on those wheel arches. A fresh set of eyes always helps. Here are some wireframe views. I tried to keep the camera angles as close to the stills below. If you would like a closer shot, or would like to pinpoint a certain area on the model, just let me know and I can post more stills. Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Try to tighen up the edge loops around the trim, and get things as even as possible. Also try to avoid bunching up your edge loops over the wheel arches. It will cause things to smooth unevenly. Sometimes you can ground those off by running them into the arch.

You can use the crease tool under edit mesh to make your trim and bevels a bit tighter and more even.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10-27-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

That's a good start, well done. I'm not sure the roof shape looks right, seems too rounded front to back compared to the reference pics. This would be the time to get that and any suggestions by other posters looked at before the mesh becomes too complicated. Looking forward to seeing you progress with this.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick update on the progress of the body. I have made some adjustments based on the feedback I have received. I have gone ahead and deleted some unnecessary edge loops, added creases to sharpen areas, tightened up some corners, especially near the wheel arches, made some adjustments to the wheel arches, and flattened the roof out more. Keep the critiques and feedback coming. I feel this has definely improved.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Looks much better!

Try to apply the same technique to the edge of the body panels that you did to the trim. You can see how as the edge loops get further apart, things smooth more, causing the bevel to look uneven.

Notice how as the edge loops get further and further apart, the bevel stays the same thickness. Try to apply this to the edges of your body panels.

-AJ

Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Quick update. Modeled the tread, tire and rim this week. Also, added more creases around the panel edges and modeled ground effects underneath the door panel. Feel free to give any feedback or critiques.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
l3ear

portfolio
Nicole Wingfield Miller
2to3d.net
howe, USA

I like how your model is looking! Keep posting

Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Hello everyone.

I added the side mirrors and tail lights. Then mirrored the car over. Majority of the car is model, just have to add the antenna and trunk lock. Would love any critiques or feedback. They are always appreciated.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Everything has been modeled and ready for your critiques and feedback. Below is the updated model with the wireframe included.

Last edited by rwasher : 11-21-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Some textures I have been applying to the model. Would love any feedback or critiques.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Here are some occlusion renders of the Mustang.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
rwasher
3D Artist
portfolio
Russell Washer
Indianapolis, USA

Here are some updated renders. Feedback and critiques are always appreciated (model, lighting, textures).

Thread Closed share thread