Ship Cabin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Ah yeah I'm aware of the DOF, I was posting it up asking why it looked so disgusting with zblur, didn't mean to imply it was the final result or something hah.

Good idea about moving the character, I'll give it a shot. Not really sure how to comp in the godray with him there; maybe another pass with just a transparent alpha... So it comes through him partially :/

Dunno why there's a lack of shadow, they're enabled and should be present... I'll look into that.

Edit: the rimlight (Where the fog comes from) actually had shadows disabled...

Last edited by JaredTaylor : 10 October 2012 at 04:10 AM.

10 October 2012
I defiantly agree with James about the placement of the character.

It looks a bit better, but its still almost impossible to pick up on the fact that the scene is set in a ships cabin. I would recommend getting rid of the rapiers on the wall, and maybe add a gun port in the hull with a cannon. You could hang a hammock over the cannon.

It might be a good idea to change the round table and bar stools for a proper square dinner table with full back chairs, like you would find in a ships cabin.

Also, try making the beams about twice as thick as they are now.

Sorry to be harsh, hope this helps,
AJ

10 October 2012
Not harsh at all! That's some good ideas, I'll give it a shot.

10 October 2012
Need to make a chair, hammock, and do some texturing. Unfortunately the character doesn't look watery anymore.

10 October 2012
Why a cannon in the captain cabin?? lol

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Scote: Why a cannon in the captain cabin?? lol

I made no port and just had it look like it was being stored there... I'm not really sure if I should keep it but I posted it up for comment since it was suggested I put one there

Not too sure about the hammock either; aren't those usually in crew quarters? The captain would probably have a thin bed that's just some wood with thin padding on it.

10 October 2012
Like my signature said: reference is the key.

I wouldn't put a cannon there.. anyway no way it could be pass trought the door.

10 October 2012
That's fair enough. I have some reference, but still struggling to think what else to put in the room.

Obviously a couple of chairs. Maybe navigation tools like a sextant. Tapestry above the windows? An unlit lantern?

10 October 2012
Well I will place a big chest full of gold of course.

Adding source lights: candle or lamps or both

add a carpet (more rich thing)

Your cold mood color are perfect for your water ghost like character

then less warm lights just stay with moonlight from outdoor

10 October 2012
I'll add some more stuff later on today or tomorrow.

For now I've been playing with the lighting. It's still too dark, though...

10 October 2012
I totally agree about putting the gold into a treasure chest, rather than on a shelf.

Everyone on these ships slept in a hammock, from the admirals to the crew. Keep in mind that the largest ships from this time were only about 150 feet long, so they would toss and turn in the open sea. With the large array of sails and lack of a keel, they would also sail leaning over against the wind.

There could most definitely be a cannon in the cabin if you wanted. Here is a pic of the cabin on the HMS Surprise that was used in Master and Commander and Pirates of the Caribbean. Notice the thin interior walls, and the massively thick celling beams.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/holgrove/2748276336/

There were no walls and doors on the upper decks of old wooden ships. The cabin was formed with thin removable wooden panels. Over time, the hull would slowly change shape and warp, so it was necessary to keep the interior walls flexible. Also, during battle, the walls would be taken down to provide one continuous gun deck.

I love those two above renders (Although the planking on the top one is terribly inaccurate... ). Definitely use them as reference for some nice props, like the burned out candles and old books.

Hope this helps,
AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10 October 2012 at 05:44 AM.

10 October 2012
Ya he can add a cannon. find some ref too some spanish cabin have it. But the one he put look like a storage room , the cannon was near the table.... not very good when fire at enemy ship.

Try to organize that cabin to be logical. You can add that cannon but you don;t need to put all of it in your picture

10 October 2012
Hi guys,

Cheers for the further feedback.

That's not treasure on the shelf, it's scrolls and books :/ They're just a little hard to see; might be the lighting.

I'll put the cannon back in there, and off to the side a bit; then I will remove a few barrels and put treasure chests there. Hammock above the cannon.

I will put some dead candles in etc too.

The lighting is disgusting now :/

10 October 2012
I would put something in the foreground in defocus for creating a sense of a cabin filled more.

10 October 2012
Re-did the planks with displacement. Ignore the tapestry it's bugged out.

Thread Closed share thread