Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Juan Puerta
3D Modeller
Ikso Studio
San Sebastian, España
Saab Phoenix

Hi guys, I´ve finished this model, and I´ve try to post it in the finished 3d stills, cause I consider it a finished work. The problem is that it has been rejected... :( I mean I know I´m not the CG super mega master, but I think that the image has enough quality to be in that section, I´m not asking for a top row man!!! So Has this happened to anyone else... Thanks for you attention people

Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Lord of the posts
William Chestnutt
Lymington, United Kingdom
Thumbs up

Hi Juan,

Sorry you were rejected. If you are looking for crit on the image then I would say you need to work on the model, render and composition a bit more.

If you look hard at car designs they will always have hard edges for each panel, creating a small gap of around 5 - 7mm. Yours are too rounded at the door areas etc. more edge loops will tighten this up. This also goes for a few panels which don't sit together properly, the door and the sill don't flow well, they feel like two separately modelled parts when they need all the lines to flow smoothly throughout.

Get rid of teh lens flare as this detracts from the image and stop me seeing the details. I would also imagine you would need to add more details onto the car for a place in the gallery, such as rubber trim on the windows, accurate headlight clusters etc. It is a good starting point but I would use it as a stepping stone. Keep at it!

I hope you don't mind but I have circled some areas I think need attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (93.4 KB, 16 views)
Current WIP: Photoreal Honda NSX... HERE
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Lord of the posts
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
The stack have rise, & you can't have a work accepted into the gallery just because its complete (full texture/shader & proper render).

If the judges deem the quality do not meet their requirements, you will be rejected. Only thing that is a question mark to many people is what are the new standards and requirments? Also, since the artworks are to be judges, its very subjective as well.

What we could do here, is suggesting how you can improve your workpiece, but no one (except the judges) can say with any certainty if the improved work will get accepted.

If I need to crtoic this image, the most obvious problem is the exposure, its too much. The headlights are also overwhelmed by the lights that you cannot make out the shape.

Also, the car surfaces do not look very smooth.
My WIP Thread:
Next Gen Lara Croft 3D Model Fanart

Last edited by PKD : 10-06-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Always Learning
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland
It looks very nice. I think to be fair to the judges, they have a tough time car models one. For instance a Fiat 500 model is going to look much the same no matter how many people make it, and it is hard to tell if the person submitting them made it themselves or bought the model and played with it. Previously unseen concept cars and original one off cars are probably easier for them to decide on.
I like to learn.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Juan Puerta
3D Modeller
Ikso Studio
San Sebastian, España
Hi guys and thanks a lot for your Crits!!!

WChestnutt- Thanks a lot for taking the time to make this helpful crit to me!!! and for the image showing the parts to improve. I´ll dig on it to get it better.

PKD- Understood man, I Guess you are right, I´ll have to push myself forward and improve my model, thanks a lot for the crit man.

Dillster- thanks for te tip body!!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread