CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
jthorne19

Re-doing Angel Bike

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I posted or even used CG Society at all. Life kind of got in the way.
I am going to redo one of my pieces that I did 3 years ago called the 'angel bike' because that was the original inspiration for the bike. I have been working on some drawings to improve the design and just let my creativity loose a little bit. I would love it if you guys and gals could give me some feedback on which design and any suggestions what designs look incomplete or need improvement. You can view the original bike over on my profile.

Many thanks,

bike concepts

Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
jthorne19

Update

I thought it would be best to go into Maya and get a look at things from a 3D perspective. I took a sketch i liked and ran with it. I wanted to add a bit of detail in the hope that it might help me with the overall design. This has filled me with a bunch of ideas.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

I think you should start in 2d for designing that bike. Your sketchs are still just sketchs.

Try to find the curve of your bike in 2d

Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
jthorne19

Update

Thanks for the feedback Scote,

I don't orient in 2D very well so I often go from 2D to 3D. It helps me define the look of things.

Anywho, I have been messing around with different looks and this is the one I want to base my design on. It needs a little bit more complexity in some areas I feel but, once again, I am going to make that judgement when I can see it in 3D.

Cheers

Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

If its just a concept bike not destined for real world use, pretty much anyway you want to design it is cool. If you want to project it as a believable bike, there are basic design rules that are more rigid than those for cars. If you ride motorcycles you will have an idea what I mean, ie basic rules that help make bikes that won't get the rider killed first ride out. I ride scramblers myself and I have a link somewhere to a site that explains the guidelines for motorcycle design. If I can dig it up I will post it later.
For now I would say your first post with the drawings had too little ground clearance under the body. Second post I am picturing a rider on that bike and the sitting position is wrong and impractical for a sports bike. The tyres are too square, motorcycle tyres are never squared off like that and need to be rounder for leaning and cornering. I suggest working on the drawings a bit more before starting the 3D model, so you can iron out problem areas before you start. Good luck with your project.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
jthorne19

Thanks for the feed back Dillster,

I have been working on the ironing out the design a little and you gave me some inspiration when you mentioned the rider sitting on the bike. I too agree that the wheels are far too thin and square for a bike. I have made some adjustments. I am aiming for something more concept than realistic but at the same time, it has to be something that (at least for me) people can sit on and ride.

Although now perhaps it looks too much like a realistic sports bike so I am going to take another pass at it. It still needs a little bit of detail. That will have to wait for another day.

cheers

Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
jthorne19

update Oct 21st

Thanks for the link Scote,

I haven't had a chance to update my progress in a while. I have been job hunting and such. The joy of joys......

I have been reviewing the design of my bike and upon looking at it, I kind of went away too much as to what i wanted to create so I went back to the drawing board. I decided to add more futuristic elements to my design since that is what I originally intended. (I got a little side tracked in the realism department)

Below is the design cycle I went through.

From this i decided to sketch it out (although I am still in training in this department) and this is the rough idea i had for the transition into 3D

And finally I began to model it in Maya. I made some changes based on how it was shaping up in 3D but I am still refining the design a little and I may add to it (but not too much)

I change the front of the bike a little because the lights going from the side around to the front just didn't look right. I am thinking of what to do with the front still. I like how the back of the bike turned out and I also like the deep curves that extend from the front to the back of the bike.

Any thoughts or opinions are always welcome,

cheers,

Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
jthorne19

Long time no post!

Hi all,

I have been busy beavering away at a new job hence the delay in posting. I have been tweaking and changing my design some what purely based on feeling. Here it is.

It has changed somewhat since the last update.

One thing that struct me was that the wheels weren't going to translate very well into 3D based on the concept drawings so I decided to have a look at some of the earlier sketches and reference material I had. I really like the design of the piece of Arc technology embedded within Iron man's chest so I borrowed some of the shape and design from that to do the wheels. I like the dimensions it brings to the bike and translates really well into 3D.

The flow of the bike has generally remained the same but one thing that i didn't like was the front end of the bike. It was driving me mad. It seemed to suddenly cut of so i decided to taper it (after many iterations) and extend the lights all the way down the centre. I am happy with this look at the minute and I will be concentrating on other things that I want to expand on.

I also decided that I wanted to optimize this for games but i realize I may need a few more polygons here and there. I know there are different standards out there regarding the poly count of certain objects. If you guys have any feedback on that , that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
jthorne19

Update 4th of Dec

Once again, it has been a while since my last post.

I am forever changing my design upon reference and inspiration that comes my way. I sometimes change designs purely by feeling alone so it sometimes takes me a while to get things out of the door.

I decided to separate the tires firstly because they were too big, and secondly because i felt it suited the design of the bike a little better. I have made the bike frame a little thinner too.

There have been some big changes to the front. I had a hard time deciding what kind of lights to put on the front. I experimented with a few designs but I came away not liking any of them so it took me a while to settle on something i actually liked. I took the front grill idea from the side of a Lotus that I took a picture of whilst on my way back from work.

The grill on the side of the bike is also Lotus inspired. I wanted to give it a bit of a faster profile from the side and I feel this takes it in that direction.

I feel the design of the bike is getting stronger but there are a few more elements to add before I feel it is ready for texturing, lighting and rendering. I wanted to incorporate some handle bars, a front fender that goes between the wheels, some mirrors and perhaps a bit of an engine poking out under the frame too as well as any other modifications that i might get ideas for.

cheers

Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I'm not sure how a person would fit on that bike. It also looks impossible to steer.

The side grill on a sports car is used to cool the rear brakes, and the front grill runs air through the engine radiator.

Sorry to be harsh. It just doesn't seem like its built for a human.

-AJ

Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
jthorne19

Thanks for the feedback AJ1,

I understand what your saying. However, it is more a concept bike than and actual road bike. Also, it is based on a futuristic design and doesn't conform to most of the normal constraints of a regular bike.

When I have finished it I will do a mock drawing of how a person would actually fit on the bike.

Again,

Many thanks for your input.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
jthorne19

9th of December

Hi all,

this is a quicker update than usual.

I was been driven insane by this project over the weekend but had a break through on Sunday as to were the bike is heading in terms of design. I am getting closer to finishing it. There is a lot of detail that I want to add in the texturing stage so I am looking forward to working on them.

I have made a lot of adjustments to the bike that on the surface, look minor.

I have changed the structure of the wheels entirely. Before they had the blue ring going around them and also had a line running through the middle of the tires. I decided that it wasn't working anymore so I scrapped it and went with a more traditional tire. I am still going to put a spin on the tradition in the texture phase. I also made it so the alloys actually link together and they are not blocked by a plain disc at the back so you can see all the way through them. As well as this, I moved the middle part of the alloys further back to give it a bit more depth as well as making the tires black which makes the bike standout more.

Also decided to go with black glass for the bike to give it more of a futuristic appeal. Finally settled on some handle bars that I like. These are very simple and I like what they bring to the bike. They give you a better idea of how a human might ride this bike. It will be very much in the style of the Tron bike and how that is ridden.I also decided to put a double barreled exhaust that comes out at the front instead of the back. Aiming to add more detail to the bike such as engine and other parts that I feel will enhance the design and give the bike a little more grounding.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
jthorne19

Ready to texture

More of a boring update but i thought it would be nice to let people see all of the process. Here are my UV maps. One for the body of the bike and one for the wheels.

wheels

bike

Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread