Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #61
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Wow, this is amazing!! I had an idea like this once but decided I didn't have enough time to do it. Awesome work!! Great links here in case I do get inspired to try my own though. Keep it up!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #62
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Why did you swap out from xsi to maya - rigging? Are you planning on texturing ALL of it (rigging ropes included)?

Would be nice to hear some tech details too... like estimated time spent so far, poly count, estimated texturing time, number of ropes, number of ...etc.

Congrats on the top row, it's really great to see this kind of detailed work promoted.

PS. Don't be surprised if you get a call if the new Pirates of the Caribbean happens.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #63
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

@Richard: Thanks!

@James: Wow! Thanks for posting those. That side shot of the Leopard shows the planking pattern around the whale (middle of the hull) that I've been after, but haven't been able to find a good reference on. You can see how most of the planks travel straight, but then in the middle, they get all triangular and funky. I've seen that pattern on a few high detail model ships, but haven't been able to find any drawings that show what's going on. Thanks a bunch!

@Mike: Thanks man! Its not as time consuming as it might look. Its mostly a big pile of instantiated parts.

@Chris: Thank you sir! I started the model in XSI around 08, before they got bought out by Autodesk. The marketing folks came to my school and gave everyone free licences right before the buyout was announced, so I guess that's why I used it at the time. The model sat on the shelf for about 3 years, until I dug it up in early 2012. I ended up getting a copy of Maya through the Autodesk Student Portal, so I just imported the model as an obj and started using that. I've used almost all of the mainstream 3D packages for modelling, so I'm not very picky.

As far as the stats on the model goes, I'm not sure of an easy way to find out. They're probably around 100 ropes so far, but It looks like more. Some travel from the deck, go though several blocks in the rigging, and then travel back to the deck and tie off via a lanyard. So that one rope may look like 7 or 8.

With the unique parts, instantiated objects, and rope rigs, I'm guessing there are around 3-5K objects in the scene so far, and the poly count is around 1 million with no sub divs. I'm using an ATI 5770, and my frame rate is under 1 per second.

The ropes are circles that are extruded along a curve, so they come out half UVed. I just have to cut them down the middle, line them up to the texture, and even them out.

I spent 416 hours in 2012 on the model, and 14 so far this year. I probably spent around 200-300 on it back in 08, but I wasn't keeping track.

Leigh bumped the thread, and Ill probably have to send her a big crate full of craft American beers to say thanks.

Lol, I don't think they could have proper ship models after they get done paying Depp and Rush though. The practical models looked great, and so did the Black Pearl and Dutchmen, but they really skimped on the detail for the background ships. They used the Surprise for the 4th one, and hardly had any 3D ships.

I think Ill post the source files for free somewhere once its done, so others can play around with it if they want.

I've made some good progress on getting the midpoints to the ropes added, and here is what I've got so far on the spirit topsail.

click to view full size

Thanks again for all your feedback!
-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 01-05-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #64
Androgs
Know-it-All

portfolio
Andrew Suryadi
Environment & Lighting Artist
Jakarta, Indonesia

Send a message via MSN to Androgs Send a message via Yahoo to Androgs

Wow!! amazing amount of details! i will keep following this thread until it is finished!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #65
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

AJ, I dont get what you mean when you say you only get 1/2 uvs. Is the circle nurbs? You should get a square as a uv. Or are you sticking with polys? Is it a single circle?

Or a group of 3 / 5 circles, or a custom welding of circles like this?

I was thinking of how to make the texturing easier for you. If there is a plugin that can get the length of the curve, you could use a repeating texture and use that length value in photoshop to duplicate the image down via scripting. Sure each rope texture would be unique, but it might save tons of time getting them all to look consistent, no matter how close the camera gets. (and if really good at scripting etc i suppose you could automate that completely.)

If you ever do make it available, please also save it as iges too, I was thinking how crazy (and i mean crazy) it would be if you used the curves as wire deformers, with dynamics, to get actual movement in them, as it sails the seven seas.

PS I remember something on the last potc that did have a model in the votex scene, it was posted up (somewhere?) by ilm. I think Mr Bruckheimer has enough that you needn't worry about getting paid, when you get the call

PPS When you post it up, please add a donate button to, if only so we can all can contribute to getting you a new gpu.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #66
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

@Andrew: Thanks man! Ill be keeping an eye on your ally project myself.

@Chris: Ha ha, well I was referring more to the real ship models and sets. Those folks who can make those things aren't cheap.

I mostly work in isolate mode, so the frame rate isn't a big issue. Plus I guess I've just gotten used to it.

Ill really need to do something like in your picture for a few of the larger ropes. The biggest one that runs in between the fore and main mast is like 10" in diameter, and really doesn't look good as a tube. The smaller ropes only show up as 1 or 2 pixels in a large render, so I think I can get away with just a tube and a bump.

With all of the instantiated parts, curve extrusions, and other nonsense, I don't think it would work very well as an IGES, so Ill probably just post the .ma file and the textures.

I've been playing around with wire deformers, and might end up applying it to some of the ropes. Most of the animation is driven by the Ncloth cache on the sails, but It might help with some of the ropes that aren't attached to the yards or sails. I don't have any plans to animate it, but my goal is just to get it posable. Maybe someone else with more simulation skills than me can work on that once I release the file.

For the ropes so far, I've just been using a curve circle with 4 points, so my geometry comes out as a square. I then use smooth mesh on it. Here is what I've been doing on the UV's. I can UV several ropes at the same time, plus many of the ropes are clones, so It hasn't been too bad. The texture is just a small bit map that's tiled. I use the same curve on ropes that are the same diamater, so when I learn that I've horribly misjudged the thickness of a rope, I can quickly update it by changing the diameter on the circle.

click for fullsize

Here is a screen grab showing the rig for the ratlines. The knots are all instances, and the ropes are weighted between them. I made one large 40x12 array of these, duplicated it 12 times, and then applied each stack of knots to each of the shrouds (the thick ropes) via a curve constraint, and then deleted the leftovers. There are probably around 2000 of those knots in the scene.

click for fullsize

The nets are all strung accurately, and are extruded geometry as well. I made a base mesh, and then used the convert edge selection to curves tool to generate the curves.

click for fullsize

Thanks again for having a look,
AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 01-06-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Updated images

Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #67
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
@Chris: Ha ha, well I was referring more to the real ship models and sets. Those folks who can make those things aren't cheap.

Oh a real ones, I've been fortunate enough to go on one in Greenwich London, and that was enough, because riding the stormy high sea's in one of those, take a braver soul than me. And that master and commander, was apparently close to reality, with one exception, a lot of rotting food, and having a butcher 'onboard'. So this model is as close as i wanna get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Ill really need to do something like in your picture for a few of the larger ropes. The biggest one that runs in between the fore and main mast is like 10" in diameter, and really doesn't look good as a tube. The smaller ropes only show up as 1 or 2 pixels in a large render, so I think I can get away with just a tube and a bump.

Glad the pic helps.Smaller ropes, yea, that's the difference between posed and simulated, you never know where the camera is going to be. (or be changed to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
I've been playing around with wire deformers, and might end up applying it to some of the ropes. Most of the animation is driven by the Ncloth cache on the sails, but It might help with some of the ropes that aren't attached to the yards or sails. I don't have any plans to animate it, but my goal is just to get it posable. Maybe someone else with more simulation skills than me can work on that once I release the file.

That would be me

Which is why i mention iges, as when people export these (eg obj/fbx etc), they kill all possibilities, for really using it for anything but a static prop. So ma is #1.

Must add, thanks for the additional images, it gives a clear insight on the whole building process. Which again add's a lot to this thread. As, at least for me, they'd be no way I'd ever model something so complex, and hopefully people can see what (absolute and utter patience) it takes. As well a good modelling and planning skills

Last edited by cojam : 01-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #68
MattRennie
Know-it-All

portfolio
Matt Rennie
Sr. Character Rigger / TA
Rockstar North
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Looking awesome - I love this kind of thing.

Last edited by MattRennie : 01-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #69
Tangled-Universe
Frequenter
portfolio
Martin Huisman
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to Tangled-Universe
Bring it on...keep it going...this thread is really great to follow

Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #70
NightOwl3D
PRO
portfolio
Castor .
Trinidad%2Band%2BTobago

Great work AJ.

I'm always shocked at how some people find the time and motivation to work on such a large detailed personal project, especially ones that stretch over a long period of time.

I used the same method for doing ropes and nets on a studio project a year ago, works great but still takes a long time as Maya only lets you select one edge direction at a time to create a curve from, which I guess makes sense or you'd end up with loads of small curves.
Then you gotta extrude a circle along the curve and sort that out into a poly, sort UVs etc...I honestly don't know how you managed to keep going lol...

Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #71
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

@Chris: Thanks man! No problem! If there's any parts of the model you want to see, or you have any questions, I'm happy to help any way I can. Did you go check out the Cutty Sark?

Yea, It must have been miserable on these things back in the day. This particular ship is only 170 feet long, but would have a crew of around 500. They didn't have a keel, and would toss and turn on the seas like crazy. I guess getting drunk would be the only fun thing to do.

I don't think the simulations need to be to crazy and dynamic to be realistic. I've seen some nice video of the USS Constitution under sail, and things are pretty stiff. The main sail weights something like 1200 pounds, and many of the ropes are covered in tar and tensioned down with thick lanyards. Some of the blocks and dead-eyes are over 2 feed in diameter, and are made from solid hardwood.

@Matt: Thanks man! I really appreciate the kind words!

@Martin: Thanks! I'm glad your enjoying the thread so far.

@K3D: Thank you sir! Its actually been a fun project with lots of different challenges. Its got everything from complex single shapes like the hull, detailed trim work, mass instantiated objects, human figure carvings, plus the rigging is one giant puzzle. I work on it for 1-3 hours a night, and I do something different each time.

I used a little python to help with some of the repetitive curve extrusion, but yea, there are a lot of repetitive clicking task. It took about 10 hours to get all the nets setup.

I finally got wireframe rendering worked out! I had to shell out 20 quid for a plug-in, but the results look better than what I was getting with the hardware renderer or the built in contour renderer. I checked out the scene stats, and things are at 1,439,596 faces with no smoothing, and 29,827 objects. Nothing new here on the model though.

click for fullsize

click for fullsize

Thanks again for all your feedback!
-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 01-08-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #72
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
@Chris: Thanks man! No problem! If there's any parts of the model you want to see, or you have any questions, I'm happy to help any way I can. Did you go check out the Cutty Sark?

Yes, I saw the cutty sark and there was another there too, I cant for the life remember the name, I was to be used as a training ship for young students, that was to put to sea.

What was great there, even more so than the ship's was the staff, the guide really took the time to explain what life was like, the language, how people were press ganged into duty, and how (dont read if you have a weak stomach) that people didn't mind weevils so much, but if food was rotten with maggots, that would often cause a mutiny.

And how the phrase "Limey" came about as they would take limes/juice to stop people getting scurvy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

I did find this, to show a modern day ship in the ocean, even made of steel the ocean looks brutal, can you imagine a wooden ship like this and just how you'd be tossed every where. You would have to batten down the hatches, and everything else, including you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNC52xF4RY

(Humour Alert Ahead)

AJ if I'm going to sim this then by god sir every rope of the Kings ship will move. Hazaar!

AJ the shots you posted were great, just what i wanted to see, but sorry AJ sir, you're excellent work has to coin a naval phrase led you to be, "been hoisted by your own petard", in the nicest possible way, you see we've come to expect so much from you, those ngons AJ just will not do, so no more "Swinging the lead".... roflmao

Last edited by cojam : 01-08-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #73
Ethaninja
Veteran
portfolio
Ethan Roberts
NARARA, Australia

Holy guacamole!

It brings a tear to my eye both in a positive and negative connotation! Such beauty! I am currently attempting a game project that focuses on 18th century Man-Of-War ships. The sad fact is that I will never be able to have anything that looks even remotely as good as that XD Bloody great work mate! Bloody great work!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #74
dines
Lightwaver

dines
Germany

Stunning detail work!

Keep up the great work... looking forward to see updates ...

Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #75
Ethaninja
Veteran
portfolio
Ethan Roberts
NARARA, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojam
Yes, I saw the cutty sark and there was another there too, I cant for the life remember the name, I was to be used as a training ship for young students, that was to put to sea.

Ahh the Cutty Sark My Da went on that in the 70s I think Someone gave him a drawing of the ship on this really really old parchment-style paper

Thread Closed share thread