18th Century Man-of-War

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #31
Holy crack that's a lot of detail, nice work.

Old 12 December 2012   #32
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey Nick,

Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

I've got a pretty big pile of research on these types of boats. If you need any help, I'm more than happy to share.

-AJ

Thanks, I have some minimal research gathered already, but I'm sure i will certainly be having to ask you a bunch of questions. And you can never have too much reference! I'm far from the best modeller in the world, so when i do make a start it will probably push me well past breaking point, but it will be interesting...
You are doing an amzing job on this one though so i will learn a lot just from seeing this develop.

Old 12 December 2012   #33
Originally Posted by AJ1:
First of all, does anyone find this subject interesting?

AJ1, One can see the influences of HMS Victory, and they've served you well. Regards the above question, with effort and with work like that .... you just made it and you interesting

Old 12 December 2012   #34
All I can say its just amazing.

Old 12 December 2012   #35
Just noticed this project and I have to say this is truly awesome! Like others have said, it really deserves a full out battle scene! That's what they were made for after all.

A rendering of this (in battle) belongs in a real museum

Old 12 December 2012   #36
Fantastic work! Really impressed by level of detail and quality...

Old 12 December 2012   #37
amazing!! no words...really amazing.

http://www.digital-hues.com

Old 12 December 2012   #38
Stunning

Hey man I just want to say some good work you are doing.
Very very dedicated and nice. I think it will turn out great.

Old 12 December 2012   #39
@Mattias- Thanks!

@Nick- Cool! Feel free to hit me up at my gmail, reply to this thread, or pm me if you have any specific questions, or want to see some part of the model.

@Chris- Haha! Thanks! I would say a big majority of the details have been pulled from photos of Victory. I'm glad someone finds these things as interesting as I do!

@dpetty43- Thanks for the kind words!

@Len- Thanks! I've got some ideas in my head based of some paintings I've seen. I might try to do a concept painting for composition, and post it so people can critique.

@Alm- Thanks! Nice work on your museum piece so far! Ill write you up some feedback here in a bit on your latest update.

@Carlos- Thank you sir.

@Igor- Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Here is a small update showing my progress on the revamped figurehead. Everyone's on holiday, so I've bad plenty of time to work. It's supposed to be Zeus, and I'm trying to convey a certain amount of swag with the facial expression and body pose. According to the internet, Zeus had a pet eagle, and Ill place that in the same place its shown in my main reference image. I've still got a lot of work to do, but if anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

So other than the main statue, there will be some clouds, a Cherub, some rocks, trees, water waves, a mermaid, and some sea creatures to fill out the rest of the space in-between those two head rails.

Other than the carvings, I finally got the gunports rigged so they can be opened and closed. I added some detail to the head rails, and got most of the rigging done on the fore stunsail boom. I also need to clean up some wobbliness and sloppiness in the model. I'll post an update showing the more detailed canvas and the stunsail soon.

Thanks again for all your feedback!
-AJ

Click for fullsize

Click for fullsize

Last edited by AJ1 : 12 December 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #40
Fantastic model. I agree that this deserves to be seen at sea.

Out of curiosity, what program are you modeling in?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that it's Maya

Old 12 December 2012   #41
This model is beyond awesome!

Old 12 December 2012   #42
Wow I got to remember TITANIC , I will try to add some background to this ship hope it will look great .

Old 12 December 2012   #43
amazing modeling work

Old 12 December 2012   #45
One of my favourite topics, and I am building a classic ship myself.

For good critique as as far as the correctness of the actual model itself is concerned, post your work on
http://www.modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/index.php

Some very knowledgeable chaps over there. They do have a section for 3d modeling as well, though most forum visitors build wooden models. Treasure trove of tips and advice.

Thread Closed share thread