Castle Story - Game Models

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Castle Story - Game Models

Hi guys and gals,

So my work was rejected for the gallery, but I would like to share it anyway.

It's with great pleasure I'm finally able to show you what I've been working on for the past 5 months.

I work for a company in California called Storm8. We just put out a game called Castle Story for the iOS and I believe Android, if not yet, then soon. In the beginning stages I was in charge or translating the 2D concepts to 3D assets. I created two buildings (shown below) that described the style we were going for. I was also in charge of creating a light rig and Mel Script so that modeler's would be able to place their model's into the scene, run a Mel Script and have it render. It was my first time using MIP shaders and creating a light rig that a lot of people would be using. I learned a lot from the experience.

From that point on I was in charge of about 90% of the characters, translating them from the 2D concept to 3D. I used Zbrush 4R3 for the modeling, retopo, UV's, textureing and posing/expressions. Maya/Mental Ray was used for rendering. Character's were rendered in pieces so they could be animated in 2D and then the character had expression renders for dialog sequences. There are two forms for each NPC. The first form is when you first meet them, a form that was transformed by the forest. The second form is what they take after you save them.

This is the 6th game I've had a chance to work on in my short career and it's by far my favorite game artistically. I was able to work with such a great team and with some really talented artists.

Enjoy!

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Buildings that didn't fit in the first post.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Great work. love the character.. the first character have weird corner eyes

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Cool characters, well done.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah in the expressions on the boys face I can see what your talking about.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Love it, a couple of minor areas for improvement, as mentioned the eyes on a couple of the characters.

Would like to see some wireframe and base mesh renders to get a better idea of topology Vs textures.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
nice job!!!

Old 10 October 2012   #8
nice characters, but i love the buildings really cute style

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thank you guys for the comments. Defiantly looking back I can see some improvements here and there, but I guess when your in the heat of getting it done and out you tend to over look those details. I'll be more diligent for the future.

This weekend I'll be posting some WIP.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
So this is what you have been doing all this time.
It's good to see your work Craig, I can wait to see more.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
The building are great. No critics at all.

The character looks modern day Disney, about 65% likeness, but thats the issue with CG, the last 30+% to get the correct look (nit saying you should adapt the disney look) is the hardest.

By the way, you have the concept pictures to share?

Anyway, I did a quick paintover how one of the character may looks like, if more disney-nize.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
just by seeing this screenshot makes me curious about the game. i think overall it looks good. but
if i have to give critique it probably the skin shader. it looks too muddy. need to brighten a little bit but it maybe me just though. i also agree what PKD done with the cheek, cute.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
These look fantastic. Really love the characters - not to anime, not too Disney. Very attractive, and the buildings are great too. Good luck with the game.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Kiadaw - Thank you. Interesting take on the character. I do agree that some things could had been worked on a bit more. I'm pretty happy with what was done in the amount of time given but definitely see what your talking about. Taking it just a bit farther to achieve more appeal. THe character you chose to draw over is actually my least favorite. Haha I like her tree version better.

Desmond - It was probably the combination of the lighting and the skin shader. Thanks for your crit.

Richard - Thanks for the kind words.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread