sk3d
Expert

portfolio
Sam King
Artist
Cape Town, South Africa

Tribal Alien

Hi

Just started this guy as something to do in my free time. I am almost always doing game res characters so decided to do something specifically for render (Screw the budget) and to get a better understanding on Mental Ray or Vray, I havent decided which renderer yet.

After reading Speaker of the Dead from the Enders game series I decided to develop and alien race that was still only in its relative 'stone age', like the Piggies in the book.

So here we go, I will post as I progress, hopefully this will stop me from procrastinating too much!

Here is the initial rough concept model:

Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
sk3d
Expert

portfolio
Sam King
Artist
Cape Town, South Africa

Here is the zbrush model so far with first pass on polypaint. Almost finished with zbush now, rigging starts tonight. >_<

Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Wow like it! like a Stich tribal little guy.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Both modeling & texturing looks fanastic.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
SHRIF
Expert

portfolio
Shrif Azmy
3D generalist & VFX
Joe media house
giza, Egypt

wow I like it it looks funny
Keep it up

Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

After seeing your character, i have to agree with Scote...that is immediately what i thought

This might be too late in the modeling process, but i think if this is a primitive race maybe you could elongate it's tail a bit. Perhaps this creature is a hunter but because of its small stature it hunts its prey from the tress (and can avoid any potential predators this way as well)....kinda like our modern primates?
This might contradict would i just said of them being too primitive, but maybe give him some tribal tattoos/ or natural markings that might show hierarchy amongst the species...

I know this is just a fun project and I am throwing out my thoughts...really like what you have so far

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrape
but maybe give him some tribal tattoos/ or natural markings that might show hierarchy amongst the species...

ya totally agree. Maybe just paint. You can take inspiration from the african tribes:

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Excellent idea Scote and looking at your African tribal reference pic im also thinking adding some more necklaces around its neck would be cool to. Or add more of the teeth you already have on the original one...really depicting him as some sort of hunter or earned some badge of courage/heroism. Maybe some ear pieces?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
sk3d
Expert

portfolio
Sam King
Artist
Cape Town, South Africa

Hehe great ideas guys and cheers for the input. I will be adding some extra props to him as he develops, I left space on the uv set for extra bits like string off the spear and other collected shells, bones and stones he liked the look of.

Also done some tests with tribal paint in polypaint, but the layer function in ZB is a bit poo tbh so I may add those in PS later on.

Oh yeah, good spotting on the Stitch likeness. I love that design and wanted a vague likeness too be in there so I am glad people can see my random tribute there

Will post rigged image in a bit...

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Cant wait to see the other props Sam Any ideas for the environment? Or will this just be a stand alone character game model?
I know i mentioned this creature being equated to an earthbound primate, which with my limited knowledge on the subject on primates, prefer living high up in the the trees. To cut it short...maybe they are some primitive society that builds their village high up in the trees...guess the classic Ewok them would work well as an inspiration for this.
Sorry to be lengthy, but you seem to want some more overall input and just thought i would throw it out there...would be cool to see a fully rendered scene of them in their natural environment

Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
sk3d
Expert

portfolio
Sam King
Artist
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi!

As for environment I will be having him standing on a mountain ledge, some sharp angular mountains in the bg and maybe some planets in the sky. Typical Sci Fi stuff. Think sci fi novel cover. I love that stuff.

Anyhow. got him rigged and started playing with materials and lights. First time I have delved deeply into Mental Rays SS skin shader so alot to learn... Still alot to fix here, but it is heavily WIP so here it is...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
sk3d
Expert

portfolio
Sam King
Artist
Cape Town, South Africa

Aaaand here is how the rock base is progressing, sort of midway through polypaint:

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

wow. Looking really good. like the character on the rock composition. If you have a good background, it will be killer.

I think the composition will looks stronger if the rock is part of a cliff, & there is some alien plants/leaves/roots at side of rocks.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I like him, very original.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Great job Sam! I know this is still a WIP, but i also agree with PKD...maybe thinking of putting in some alien plantlife or something into rocks/cliff....possible insect life flying around him or creeping on the ground. Maybe they have some sort of temple off in the background or he is standing near some ancient relic (Stonehenge) for their species. Possible burial site for one of their fallen warriors?
Looking at your model again with that nice render i think maybe also putting some decorations on the smaller arms as well to kinda unify the creature a bit more from an aesthetic view. I (this is my own viewpoint of course) find that the smaller arms cause too much separation from the character. The larger arms, ankles, neck and waist have something on them and the small arms do not...why not try giving him some smaller accessories on those arms as well? Subtle would be good..a simple ring or bracelet or repeating one of the cloth materials on the larger arm?

Looking really good man, i hope your background choice and detail will match up with what you've got going now!

Thread Closed share thread