Old West Environment - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #31
Looking better!

I would love to see a full sized, 60 foot, 12+ arm saguaro in the scene somewhere! That small one you have under the tree is a bit skinny and straight.

It also might help to add a bit more exposure to the scene after you get the model and textures locked down.

Maybe change the church to a old adobe missionary to make it more interesting.

Also, the hill in the back could be a bit rockier.

Last edited by AJ1 : 10 October 2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #32
Ok. I think all the buildings are textured. The hotel and building behind it are meant to be newer buildings and thus, the cleaner wood.

I still have the horse to do, though I am going to also rig it a bit and pose the horse with it's head down. I probably also need to put something on it. I may try to get away with a blanket, but may need to model a saddle and simple bridle for it.

There are probably other things that I have missed texturing, so will have to look around.
I also want to add a couple of larger rocks. I am planning on putting one near the water trough near the saloon.

I have a stagecoach that I could put in the scene, but I am not sure where I should put it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldWest_Texture_post_08.jpg (79.4 KB, 42 views)

Old 10 October 2012   #33
Couple of things.

I haven't been in town, so no posts recently.

Don't think I am going to add the cactus in the foreground. I may increase the size of the one near the corral in the distance.

Interesting idea for the church. I don't really want it to be the focus, so will leave it for now. However, I have shelved that idea and will keep it if the scene needs it. I do have an adobe building near the stable - maybe I should make it more visible.

I will rough up the background some. The background is not going to be high detail due to the distance and the blur from the heat or dust.

Question: How are you guys getting your images to show up larger in your posts? Mine are all thumbnails

Old 10 October 2012   #34
You have a IMG icon.. but you need a server for hosting your pictures

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Originally Posted by JasperCG: Ok. I think all the buildings are textured. The hotel and building behind it are meant to be newer buildings and thus, the cleaner wood.

I still have the horse to do, though I am going to also rig it a bit and pose the horse with it's head down. I probably also need to put something on it. I may try to get away with a blanket, but may need to model a saddle and simple bridle for it.

There are probably other things that I have missed texturing, so will have to look around.
I also want to add a couple of larger rocks. I am planning on putting one near the water trough near the saloon.

I have a stagecoach that I could put in the scene, but I am not sure where I should put it yet.

It's looking great! Love the addition of the tools in the wagon. It's touches like these that add realism to a scene like this. Keep it up!

Totally agree about ditching the foreground cactus. And moving the tree over looks much better. FWIW, I disagree with the above poster about the church. Your wooden church looks fine and the angle works and it feels appropriate to the scene.

As for the stagecoach, that's a tough one. If you don't have a team of horses and a driver, you could maybe place it so about 2/3 of it is showing at the left frame edge behind the tree, like it's parked in front of the saloon. You can avoid showing the horses by showing only the rear of the coach. But you may not need it in your scene at all.

Whenever you have an idea to add something, ask yourself what it accomplishes. Sometimes the best thing to do is to leave something out. For instance, if you left the street just the way it is, and put a single tumbleweed bouncing through, it says a lot about the place without having to show as much (that it's a dry time of year, implies loneliness, etc.). Filling your scene with stuff just to fill it up can sometimes defeat your message.

Old 10 October 2012   #36
Yea, you need a image hosting site to host full size images. They get cropped to 800px when you embed them, so size doesn't matter. I use Postimage for mine. Just upload your image, and copy the code for direct link. Then in your post, type"[img]", then paste your link, and then type "[/img]". Without the quotes of course, and make sure there are no spaces in the line.

Are you still going for the Arizona/Sonoran look? If so, don't forget about the Mexican, Indian, and Chinese influence! The recommendation about the church was just trying to add a bit of diversity in the scene.

Also, have you thought about just using an image in the background instead of a 3D hill?

-AJ

Old 10 October 2012   #37
nice job, but i think you should make some compositing because it's sad actualy. Put atmosphere.
Make X depth, Z depth et Y depth passes, masks for, ground, every building, glasses, trees and forground elements.
I love use nuke , much better as photoshop i think. If you have some dificulties contact me i can help you if you want.

good job and good luck, have fun ;-)

Old 10 October 2012   #38
Updates from yesterday and today:
  • Background hills have gotten an overall. Added rocks, roughed up the terrain, and added a lot more shrubs. Moved around the cacti some.
  • Adjusted the texture of the dirt road some to make the grooves more obvious.
  • Unwrapped, textured, and posed the horse.
  • Also added bridle and saddle to the horse.

I think I will start playing with the light direction.

Artbot: I decided against the stagecoach. I was thinking about the same place that you were...the left side, but with everything that is there now, I don't want to clutter it.

oAJo: I am going for generic old west at this point. And thanks for the image info... am using Postimage as well.

I will be compositing after I am finished with the modeling, texturing, and lighting. No need to do that yet. Too much to do yet. Still a WIP

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Looking great! This will really look nice with some atmosphere. If I were doing it, I wouldn't bother with all the building separations and would do a simply z depth mask for Photoshop. It doesn't give you as much control, but in a simple setup like this shot, I don't think you need more.

Keep an eye on the profile of the hill & rocks. Remember that dirt areas typically are more eroded, and the rocks usually poke up higher. Right now the shapes seem to echo the shapes of the buildings for no apparent reason. Maybe think about doing a bit of a double layer (little, lower hill in front of bigger hill) so the atmosphere will help define them a little more and keep it from looking like a 2d backdrop.

This ref image is a little too rocky, but has some really interesting profile shapes.

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Artbot, I actually have a whole mess of layered rocks there. I think I need to vary up the textures to let them be seen a little better. I agree that from this distance it looks like one big one.

this is a close up screen shot.

I found that any small detail - like roughness and changes in the rock was not visible far away. I am using some bump to break it up a bit and give it texture.

Old 10 October 2012   #41
I know its kind of a nitpick, but the central column of a Saguaro is always taller than the arms...

Old 10 October 2012   #42
easy to fix.... they are containers...

Old 10 October 2012   #43
changed the rocks some... added a few more. modified the textures for variation.
Adjusted the cactus height.

Thats it for today.

Last edited by JasperCG : 10 October 2012 at 01:17 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #44
Some lighting options. NOTE: these are just light angle tests. No exposure controls, no backdrops added, the lighting is default at this point. I am just trying to see what angle would be the most interesting.

EDIT - Removed these images

Last edited by JasperCG : 10 October 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #45
Ok. I think I am going to go with 2 different lighting angles at this point. Take them a ways and then decide from there.

Scene 1 - sunset with sun coming up over the church

Scene 2 - noon and hot!

Thread Closed share thread