Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
peanutbk
meow

portfolio
Chris Ferko
CDI College
St-Lazare, Canada

Need help with Hand Model (Maya)

(let me know if I should be posting different pictures, first critique post)

Hey guys, I need to create a hand model in maya for my first assignment and rig it afterwards. I don't think I'm heading in the right direction, it looks really clustered and high-poly. I was ok with the poly count before I added the fingers, if you have any techniques on how to make them I would love to know.

I need your suggestions or even links to tutorials, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to learn the ropes!

Thank you,
Chris

Last edited by peanutbk : 09-30-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

WOAHHH!. First of all, research, research, research is always key.

The second thing I have to say is you're opening yourself up for a world of hurt, you have waaaaaaay too many polygons there. Although I am a Max user what I would do is start out with a primitive shape (a default range of shapes most advanced 3d applications give you) and select a cylinder, choose 6-8 sides for the polygon range, create it in front view so the length can be seen in top view and start to shape the fingers.

After you have created the first, duplicate and adjust the others to how you would like the rest of the fingers to be, by creating a first you create a base template for the others, the thumbs would require more modelling but the same rule applies.

Make sure you model the palm and base part of the hand separately and find ways to merge together. This may sound like a lot of info but the way you're going is gonna be painful.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
peanutbk
meow

portfolio
Chris Ferko
CDI College
St-Lazare, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdigital
WOAHHH!. First of all, research, research, research is always key.

The second thing I have to say is you're opening yourself up for a world of hurt, you have waaaaaaay too many polygons there. Although I am a Max user what I would do is start out with a primitive shape (a default range of shapes most advanced 3d applications give you) and select a cylinder, choose 6-8 sides for the polygon range, create it in front view so the length can be seen in top view and start to shape the fingers.

After you have created the first, duplicate and adjust the others to how you would like the rest of the fingers to be, by creating a first you create a base template for the others, the thumbs would require more modelling but the same rule applies.

Make sure you model the palm and base part of the hand separately and find ways to merge together. This may sound like a lot of info but the way you're going is gonna be painful.

My palm was not too bad, but I guess where I went wrong was extruding the fingers out of the palm, I'll try creating them separately tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
caionascimentosantos
portfolio
Caio Nascimento
Freelancer
www.irradiance.com.br
Brazil

Send a message via MSN to caionascimentosantos
Hey man!
I am a Max user too but anyways if i were you after the primitives were in place like he said, i would start adding subdivions on the finger joints.
Here is a good reference http://www.antropus.com/tutorial_hand1.html it isnt in english, but you can capture the idea using the pictures i guess!
Good luck! I know how hard it is! Believe me! But its not impossible hehe!!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
artofillusionist
Character Artist

portfolio
Andor Kollar
Hungary

Hi,
I attached some picture of my hand, hope help you:

Last edited by artofillusionist : 10-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

artofillusionist is a great example (which I had recently seen) for modelling a hand, as I had mentioned (or following caionascimentosantos hand link tutorial) start out with a primitive shape for the fingers and model separately, model the palm is an individual piece also and when you finally model all be aware on the palm model you will need to collapse some polys. if you can draw out a basic plan for your polyflow (topology) look at your own hand and see how the skin folds when closed etc. the more detailed research, the better the output.

Last edited by Artdigital : 10-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
peanutbk
meow

portfolio
Chris Ferko
CDI College
St-Lazare, Canada

Thanks guys, these references and the tutorial is really going to help even though I just need to do a very basic low-detailed hand model. I'm going to work on an updated version tonight, I will keep you guys posted!

Won't be easy, but we all have to start somewhere.

Last edited by peanutbk : 10-01-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
peanutbk
meow

portfolio
Chris Ferko
CDI College
St-Lazare, Canada

I finished the model of the hand, It's not very detailed but I'm using it for my animation class so it should be good enough. Can't thank you guys enough!

I could of done better, but I'm still very happy with it being my first hand model.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
caionascimentosantos
portfolio
Caio Nascimento
Freelancer
www.irradiance.com.br
Brazil

Send a message via MSN to caionascimentosantos
Congratulations man!
Nice work!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread