Astronaut guy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Astronaut guy

Hi everyone.

This is a work in progress of a model I'm trying to build. the design itself isn't even finished yet (never had one to begin with, since I just started pulling shapes here and there) I AM however planning to give him a helmet and some more accessories.

I would like someone to give me advice as to where to go from here. I am hoping to build a animation portfolio piece but is stalled on the direction of the project.

I have very basic knowledge in Maya and minimal understanding in Zbrush, but does have an artistic background. Everything in the picture is build by pulling vertices and extruding, and soften/harden edge... I would love a rundown on the correct workflow and the "standard way" to do things. Anyone who can give me some design tips on the model are appreciated as I am quite lacking in creativity!

I am hoping some of my questions may be answered (not all of them, but I am so confused at the moment so I am throwing it all out there):

-do I add in finer details with texture/mapping/geometry? for example, a buckle, zippers. Or those "belts" i already placed on his body... did I use the wrong method? If I were to add detail with geometry, do I make a separate geometry and just combine them together? or always extrude from main model and build from it?

-What is the next step? Texturing or rigging comes first?

-As can be seen in picture, there are soft white/glowy lines along the straight edge on the pants legs that doesn't seem to appear on the upper part of the model. Is it caused by a lack of divisions or did I screwed up with normals? *should note that I still have a very vague idea of how normals work or how to use it. I never had to really play around with it with previous experiences.

-When I tried to smooth it (or press 3), everything looks melted in and gummy. I want certain parts (large area of fabric) smoothed, but I want to keep the general "blocky" unpolished look on the character.. do i use the crease tool to adjust the sharpness of the edges before smooth? (or just keep the whole model unsmoothed?? or just Add Division?)

I'm linking a file below from my dropbox which is the entire workspace file. Maybe someone nice enough can look through it and give me a critique on how I'm doing so far in terms of procedure/organization/use of polygon. (are there industry standards on .... anything?? that I should know about? I am guessing it takes more than dragging around vertices)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99183525/astronaut_9_31_v1.mb

I mentioned Zbrush very early on because I wouldn't be opposed to learning it if anyone suggest it to be a possible route to improve the model. (I was always super impressed by the showcased renderings of those master's on this site)

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread