WIP: WESTERN project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
WIP: WESTERN project

Hi everybody, i just finished studies and i'm beginning a first personnal project. I learn V-ray and Mari in same time. It's my my first thread and not write english very well, i'm so sorry :/

You can find my ref' here: http://pinterest.com/fanatique/ref-western-project/

I hope you will like that ^^

Some steps:

last wip

thank you for your comments ;-)

09 September 2012
Really love the camera angle and I think overall this is coming together very nicely fanatik

Judging by your concept art I am anticipating more details on the ground, like the bottle you have in the drawing and some poker chips scattered about from the falling poker table. I like the texture work you have going and I am also assuming that is still being worked on. Are you going to add that latern on the wood blanks outside of the bar? I really think that having something there will help direct the viewer more to what this character is looking at. Just have it positioned so that it breaks the "border" of those outside planks and its silhouette ioccupies some of the sky background.

Maybe add some wear to the bar doors and frame as well...it noticed one of them had fallen off...maybe add the hinges hanging from the frame too and move the fallen more into view as well. If it was a shoot out then also put in some bullet holes on the boarded up window and some cracks in the glass as well.

Phew..one last thing, i think the shadows on the front wood planks and support beams need to be much deeper.

Can't wait to see your progress!!!

09 September 2012
On your concept you can clearly make out the character, but not so much in the render.

09 September 2012
Hey thanks men!!! nicely reply

So, I continue this work

@goatrape

I will move the right door don't woory ;-) and break some glasses. But i don't understand about the front wood planks , can you post a circle on the zone plz ^^

@mister3d
if i understand, you said, my caracter is not enough visible?!

thxs a lot for your reply

09 September 2012
Love the extra detail you got going man! Nice work on the lantern, i really thinks this helps breakup the border on the wood planks and centers viewer's focus. Here is what i was reffering to on the shadows
http://postimage.org/image/63ze8re1x/

09 September 2012
yeaaahh thks for your draw

I will make much darken the wood, just with mask and nomal pass that will be working ;-)

09 September 2012
Sweet Maybe an Ambient Occulision on the scene overall (any pros please correct me on this) or something to darken those shadows will help and then just do the composite in photoshop of the AO as a multiply layer over the in photoshop over the original comp and you can mask out any areas that appear too dark...not sure...but it is looking great!!! I have been out of the game for a very long time so rendering and lighting is something i cannot give you 100% advice on..but if you can adjust those shadows in vray or in photoshop i think it will help out the composition...giving it the rule of 75% dark and 25% light or vice versa. I think in your case it would be the 75% dark and 25% light. Really looking forward to your progression. I have some thoughts on the texturing for your character as well, but if you want i will hit you up again when you start finalizing the composition of the scene

Keep going. its looking great!!!

P.S.
Rough up those playing cards a bit...creases, tears...folds..really push the wear and tear a bit more on them. I think some wear on the wooden doors would be great too

10 October 2012
Very nice work man, it is looking pretty goood, but i think i prefer the pose on the concept. Hope to see more!

10 October 2012
Thx men!!

@goatrape
ok i don't understand your words:
"but if you want i will hit you up again when you start finalizing the composition of the scene"

So, to ambiant occlusion, i understand, just, more occ on wood. In addition, i have 1 tips, use occ as mask to put down image's gain, that's much better. Multiply is dirt 'cause you add some black pixel directly on your image
What sort of wear? You speak about cloth don't you?

@caionascimentosantos thx man, caracter posing is realy most painful problem on this work :s

10 October 2012
Oh sorry, i meant when you have the rest of the modeling done...unless you already do..i was going to comment on the character's pancho is all....and you already mentioned that in your last post
I think the pancho can show some wear and tear..maybe thin it down a tad as well as bring it up a bit more on his lower neck because i think this thing is a bit tighter around the neck in real life. Here i have attached a reference for it and a marked up illustration. In the markup i also pointed out some areas on the door he is holding open that I think you can add some more wear to. Maybe during the gunfight some of the wooden slats on the door were shot out and some of the door could be splintered up

http://postimage.org/image/o2p224s0j/

Pancho reference

10 October 2012
Voilà, j'ai terminé de texturer mon perso principal

La base de modé je l'ai trouvé sur le net et retaper avant de le texturer 100% Mari, et vray maya comme à l'habitude et la magie de nuke ^^
Prochaine étape, faire les déclinaisons des mexicains à partir du cowboy et pour finir terminer l'image

So, i finish texturing of my main caracter
I find the basic model the web and i make some retake juste before texturing (100%Mari), Vray maya and nuke

Next step, based on this caracter, transform to some mexicans enemies. Like that:

@goatrape
thx you for your reply, i'm doing pencho with this ref:

but i must sculpt cloth with the final posing ;-)

10 October 2012
I like your reference fanatik

bonne chance!

10 October 2012
Merci beaucoup ^^

10 October 2012
hello!!!
UPDATE
i leave pencho because i'm not a pro in cloth :/
Some adds will be put on the scene,mexicans, dust on cards and if u have any idea..... your're welcome

10 October 2012
Cool! Starting to really come together.

I think the light rays from the dust in the room are facing the wrong way. It looks like the sun is coming in from the left, yet the rays face right. I understand that you want to light the character however. From the color of the sky, it seems there should be a sunset. Maybe you could move the sun a bit more to the middle? It just seems like the sun is coming in from three different angles.
-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10 October 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Thread Closed share thread