LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

Demonic Creature need Serious Crits!

Hi There,

here is a WIP am working on at the moment and finished the Texturing part, before I move onto the next phase I'd like some serious feedback, please bash the texturing as much as you can.

I painted several maps in Zbrush including a Skin map, Colour map, and Veins map...I used SSS for the rest...I know SSS is dependent on the light set up, but am not looking for light crit, however if you have suggestions am all ears...I used an IBL and one directional light.

Model was downloaded from the web but don't have a name.

Cheers!
Lazius Kaye

Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

I'm not sure if your intent was to add more to the model of this or to just be concentrating on the texture work...so I will comment on both ends but they are just suggestions. For the modeling part, if you wanted to achieve a demonic creature i think adding in some menacing teeth would really add some more aggression to the creature. Bulking up its muscles in the front would help too. Also some rusty chains around it's neck would also help....maybe in doing so would further explain what this creature is. Does it belong to some demonic master? Is it guarding something sacred?

For texturing i think the red color is a bit on the lighter side...maybe darken and saturate it a bit more and show some gradient transitions with the red instead of it being a single shade. I like the transition in the forelegs from the black to red but i think this needs to be repeated on the black circles around the eyes and the muzzle. Maybe show some exposed areas of the skin to the muscle or bone as well to add more to the "creepy" factor...kinda like those zombie doberman pinschers in the Resident Evil movie. From this angle im not seeing the vien work as much or at all...but i think it would be cool to have them more pronounced in the bottom leg areas (keeping the veins in the black to red gradient area). The specularity looks a little on the high side from my computer as well. Just my two cents

Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

cool, will try to post something up in the next few days.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

been away for a month long on holiday, here's an other tes for the skin only, the horns and nails will be done later..planning on finding a location also during final stages.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Raymon1989
portfolio
Raymon Manders
Mierlo, Netherlands

First of all, the specularity, especially in the legs is looks very realistic to me, if you're going
for a skin-like look. However, I am seeing the 'bumps' in your texture-color, but not in the reflections, so you might want to bump them up with a bump, normal or displacement map.

Now that you've taken the color away...it does look a lot less evil, but also a lot more realistic.
(My first impression of the first model (the black & red one) was that it looked like something
a 10-year-old would come up with (color wise)...no offence (That also doesn't mean it couldn't end up looking great, though)) With the toned down colors it looks like something that could actually exist. (might some weird scientific experiment go horribly wrong)

It does, however, look like something that still needs some amount of fur, or other stuff to keep it warm, but leaving that away might add to the unpleasant / scary factor.

Modeling wise, the creature looks like it could leave a nasty bite, although the creature itself doesn't look like it's willing to bite anything, I think you'll need to find something to make it look more agressive.

I hope this helps. Can't wait to see the end-result.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

Thanks for your comment, sorry I been away on travels and job interviews, so had no time to reply or dig deeper with the character.

Had to redo the texturing part from scratch as I had forgotten to save the cloned model from the original Rigged Character when in Zbrush without the high res sub divisions after the initial painting.

This meant I could not transfer the attributes onto the cloned model as the UVs went all over the place when doing so.

With some luck, the modeler provided the UVs, so I didn't have to do them again for a second time...and the issue was solved.

I decided to shy away from the evil look and explore some other options...although not convinced with the horns and the beak at this stage, still experimenting and trying to find some good references images, would love some help on that front.

Thanks again for your comments, now going to try and place the character in a photograph and hope to get something as decent as possible...but its really not easy.

cheers
laz

Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

here's an image in situ 1, just experimenting with the lights and shader more, will post an other in situ in the next few days, crits are welcome.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
LaziusKaye
Digital Artist

portfolio
Lazius Kaye%2B
3D Hobbyist
Singapore, Singapore

I managed to find the model online again, you can download it here http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...ter-rigs/c/nico

Cheers
Laz

Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread