Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
perlinfalcon
portfolio
Catherine Rokitka
Seattle, USA

vulture griffin

Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

I've been working on this creature for a bit. I have him pretty much fully rigged at this point, so base model is pretty much set in stone. But I would love input on texturing or on whatever I can do using displacement. Eventually I hope to have a very short and simple animation of him done for my reel. This is not a final still shot by any means, but suggestions on lighting and background would still be appreciated. The modeling was done in Maya, displacement map in Mudbox, and texturing was done in Photoshop. Fur done with Maya fur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg griffin_rigged_render_sm.jpg (76.2 KB, 70 views)

Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Hi perlinfalcon

Great model...very interesting take on combination of creatures
As far as feedback is concerned, i think it looks pretty awesome, love the feathers on the wings and the aggressive look on the face. Not so sure about having a beak and teeth, but then again this is not a earthbound creature For any displacement i think you should really pump up some vein work on those legs. Obviously this creature can fly, but im sure from time to time it needs to run on a surface and having 4 legs im sure it does so very well...perhaps referencing a horse's leg?

To me this creature looks evil or it's intent is of an evil nature. So maybe a background that is dark and dreary? Perhaps a massive cavern where these creatures nest? Or it lives with some evil wizard in a gothic style castle....or just pull the whole Lord of the Rings Two Towers thing

Hope some of this helps

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

When I see this just screams Ray Harryhausen immediately, very cool work.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
perlinfalcon
portfolio
Catherine Rokitka
Seattle, USA

Hey! Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions. Being compared to Ray Harryhausen is no small compliment!

Thanks for the suggestion on the front legs. I would love to put more veins in there. That would be fun! I also hope to add muscles to the rig and define the shape even more.

Here's a portrait:

and a repost of the original:

Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Can't wait to see how you progress on this! Like you said, adding some muscle definition to the body i think will really push the creature's intimidation factor, mind you that it is the direction or vision you had for it...not saying necessary. Any considerations on the environment?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
perlinfalcon
portfolio
Catherine Rokitka
Seattle, USA

Did some work on an environment. I want to work on the front legs a bit too. But I can't figure out if tweaking the base model will mess up my displacement map. I might end up using Maya muscle to bulk up the legs.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
perlinfalcon
portfolio
Catherine Rokitka
Seattle, USA

I could especially use some critique on the second picture, since I submitted it and it was rejected from the gallery.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

My first thought is that the lighting looks a bit flat and soft. I understand though that its an overcast day.

The brown hill and the background doesn't match the grey rocks the creature is sitting on, and the bright green moss stands out to much from the dark green foliage in the background.

I think the composition could use some adjusting, but I'm not a very experienced layout artist.

It seems like a pretty evil creature. Have you thought about placing it in a stormy environment?

-AJ

Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
perlinfalcon
portfolio
Catherine Rokitka
Seattle, USA

Hey AJ, thanks for the critique as always. I think you are correct about everything. I'm trying to polish a bunch of things for my portfolio right now, so it migt be a little bit of time before I get to reworking this one again. But thanks for the pointers!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
tobbew
Know-it-All
Torbjörn
Sweden

It's a great model, and I like the texturing of it as well!

As for the image, I agree on the flat lighting. Also the pose, composition and camera angle. Think of it's personality and try to find a pose and lighting to show that in a still image.

Mysteriously rising on hindlegs, in part hiding it's face in shadow from it's own wing? Aggressive? To set a stronger mood you might want lights casting stronger shadows with a key light from the side. Perhaps a camera angle from somewhat below (at least it's head).

Perhaps an image with it's current freshly caught food in it's jaws, just noticing your approach from the side and turning to face the viewer?

I suggest some 2d sketching to find a good image composition and pose, post several different ideas for feedback and then when you are satisfied with it go back to arrange it in 3d.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread