Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge
Johannesburg, South Africa

so i worked on the mouth/face area a bit more to get a little bit of an idea going... for the way it would open.. i got it but i am not sure.. if i am defining the area of the muscles and bone correctly...

i would really appreciate any help regarding how do u make the difference...??

Last edited by custardcs : 10-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Looking good, but i think the mouth area can be a bit wider and taper out at the bottom (kinda like the jaw splits in half vetically...similar to the Predator creatures from the movies) Under this could out vertical "jaw" could be a normal mouth or maybe this thing is like a lamprey and is a blood sucker that attaches itself to its prey with the giant blades and uses its mouth to suck out the blood or innards of it's victim. This kinda makes more sense considering the anatomy you have for the creature..the inverted knees make it look like something that is a very good jumper and can stalk its prey from above to jump on it and attack that way? Anyway, sorry for the slow response...been busy teaching myself this 3d stuff all over again and work/freelance.
I did some crude overlay drawings on your screenshots that you might be able to draw ideas from..also if you like the whole lamprey idea i would look into those animals a bit more and get an understanding of how they feed...what they feed off. Im not an expert on them other then they are nasty little buggers
Here are my reference pics..hopefully they make a bit of sense, but i was trying to show that i think the bottom jaw needs to split and swing out, there should be more of a gap in vertical mouth area and show the split definition at the bottom of the jaw more. I also think the teeth should be a bit more prominent, if this creature does something similar to what i stated above then the jaw also needs longer teeth to help lock on to the area it will be feeding from...the blade arms just stabilizes it's position on its prey.
So from the bottom swing jaw the skin on either side of it's mouth attaches to the upper jaw which can swing open just not as drastically as the bottom ones...i assume this area would have some extremely strong muscles and I would show a bit of definition between the lower and upper jaws

front
side
under

Before going crazy with the details on this, i would really get the legs and feet the way you want them...really think of how this creature would function in it's natural environment

Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge

hey bud

i see what ur saying.. i was thinking along the same lines the only problem i have is to completely change the mesh.. so it can open its mouth .... would be hard.. >.< but if i leave it as a still i will be better but i was thinking of animating it as-well haha..

i have started on the arms.. i just really need help with defining the defference between bone and muscle.. because i think i am,... but obviously everyone saying i dont. so its kinda hard.. haha....

thanks for the pics i am gonna use them now and change a bit up on his face.. but before that... i needa try get his fee alittle better defined.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge

this is my new.. updates

please let me know if i am doing what i should.. thax

Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

His anatomy, especially his legs, look verry verry unpractical

Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
AlexSarakapudaff
Frequenter
portfolio
Aliaksandr Sarakapudau
Vancouver, Canada

I like what you are doing with the head. On the other hand I agree about the anatomy. You need to go back to overall shape and make it work before you get attached to the head too much with all the details you started putting in. Because if it does not fit the rest of the body, it simply will not work and you will be forced to do extra work with it. Your alien looks very much out of balance. There is no easy way to fix that since you are going for such unnatural structure of his legs. Even if you find a way to make it practical many people would still be having hard time to accept this sort of thing. I personally I think you should play around with shapes some more keeping in mind what sort of movements your character does, and if it still does not work, try more traditional body anatomy. I would start with moving around his center of gravity back some and scaling up the legs a bit, moving the leg joints around. Do not worry about muscle structure and other details yet, just play with simple shapes.

Last edited by AlexSarakapudaff : 10-22-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread