Alien character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Alien character

hey guys i decided to create a creature like half human alien he has human anatomy except for his arms lower arms his head and his legs..

please let me know what you think.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
lookin good

I like the details in the muscles and the overal anatomy of the creature. But it does seem to carry most of it's weight in the front and I feel that it wants to fall forward. I think it needs some more weight support in the feet...flatter to the ground and longer in the front perhaps? Or maybe give it another set of legs to increase the stability? (unless keeping it more of a humanoid figure was your intent). Also functionality, how does it eat with no appendages on the arms or a mouth?

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Looking good

I like the details in the muscles and the overal anatomy of the creature. But it does seem to carry most of it's weight in the front and I feel that it wants to fall forward. I think it needs some more weight support in the feet...flatter to the ground and longer in the front perhaps? Or maybe give it another set of legs to increase the stability? (unless keeping it more of a humanoid figure was your intent). Also functionality, how does it eat with no appendages on the arms or a mouth?

Old 09 September 2012   #4
I second Goatrape's notion that it's carrying too much weight in the front, and his feet aren't flat. Look at some reference and model some appendages and features in there. It's good that you're practicing sculpting anatomy, but you should try and focus on doing a whole finished body first. The fact that he's missing hands ( or claws? ) and feet are kind of making it feel very unfinished.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
hey guys thanks for the reply i havent had internet to reply>> but it came up today ...

welll as i said its still a work in progress... the arms i wanted him as like he is a killler soo he has sharp blades/fangs for an arm in a sense... the feet i am really struggling with as i dont know how or what to do with his feet i cant find any good idea or reference for it,,

Old 10 October 2012   #6
The lines are looking pretty good, but you should worry about the overall balance.
Nice work!

Old 10 October 2012   #7
looking forward to seeing some more, as far as the feet are concerned...maybe something like a kanagaroo?

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/i...gy-kangaroo.jpg

Old 10 October 2012   #8
hey guys thanks for the help.. i am working on it again.. the kangaroo feet are really a good idea. thank you alot

i am thinking about a different type of alien head just not sure where my imagination can go at this time

i will work on the feet now :P

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Sounds good! I was also thinking maybe the creature can have another set of smaller arms that act more like appendages that hold the prey after it made a kill, not to sound graphic, to act as a way to help feed itself? Kinda equivalent to smaller t-rex arms in size comparison, but in your creature's case the larger blade arms immobilize the prey or "kill" it and the other smaller arms can hold the prey to feed upon it.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
hey

i understand the idea i was also thinking about it i am just not sure if i want it to eat or if this is the hunter type... i wanted it to be a night mare more than something functional in a sense, but i am struggling with the feet Little :P but still working and trying :P

Old 10 October 2012   #11

s

here is in progress some basic outline feature of the face

Old 10 October 2012   #12
by all means man, do whatever makes you happy...these are just suggestions and crit
If this creature is a hunter, maybe when you are ready to texture you can give him some markings, besides the blades, that distinguish him from the rest of it's species.
If he is a nightmarish creature, you might want show some of the skin decaying from the body to the muscle and bone...it is hard to tell if that is what you might be doing right now on your latest post...especially by the cheek area. Maybe some small spike protrusions on its head, or have them run along the deltoid area to its chest in a descending falloff fashion.
The sculp on the head is looking pretty good so far, i would really show the bottom jawline more near the large neck muscle you have there. I can see the jawline fairly well on the front and perspective views...but the line looks a little thin and hardly recognizable on the side view.

I posted some links of your screen grabs to help show what i mean on the jawline. I also noted on the side view with a red curve the back of the head. I think the neck can be curved into the bottom of the skull a bit more...it is a little too flat and if this guy were to be animated there might be some problems if the character had to look up at something...i think the geometry might break at that area.
http://postimage.org/image/5ogex500j/
http://postimage.org/image/6f952x2dv/

Keep it all coming man!!!

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrape
by all means man, do whatever makes you happy...these are just suggestions and crit
If this creature is a hunter, maybe when you are ready to texture you can give him some markings, besides the blades, that distinguish him from the rest of it's species.
If he is a nightmarish creature, you might want show some of the skin decaying from the body to the muscle and bone...it is hard to tell if that is what you might be doing right now on your latest post...especially by the cheek area. Maybe some small spike protrusions on its head, or have them run along the deltoid area to its chest in a descending falloff fashion.
The sculp on the head is looking pretty good so far, i would really show the bottom jawline more near the large neck muscle you have there. I can see the jawline fairly well on the front and perspective views...but the line looks a little thin and hardly recognizable on the side view.

I posted some links of your screen grabs to help show what i mean on the jawline. I also noted on the side view with a red curve the back of the head. I think the neck can be curved into the bottom of the skull a bit more...it is a little too flat and if this guy were to be animated there might be some problems if the character had to look up at something...i think the geometry might break at that area.
http://postimage.org/image/5ogex500j/
http://postimage.org/image/6f952x2dv/

Keep it all coming man!!!

hey man thax.. for the help i think when i need to texture him that would be a great idea.. i am only a student so i am still new to the programs and ways as to use them, i would really like it i f you dont mind helping in explaing how i can give the character some decay...skin around his armsw here i want it :P and the jaw should i push it in?? and ill define it more in the musles..

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Im not an expert by any stretch and I have never used zbrush, but i do have experience with mudbox a bit. So hopefully some of this might apply? I would start to rough out the decay areas at a fairly lower subdivsion level to at least block it in (depending on the size of the dacy region), subdivide it again and maybe use an image of decaying flesh as a stamp to help achieve some more detail in this area...here is an example example but you can use whatever image you want...there are plenty of images on the net and this same sort of decay can also be achieved with some photoshop work if you want to keep it kinda stylized. Also any image can be used as a paint layer too if you want...in mudbox you can paint the diffuse with with a stamp or use it as sculpt layer...like i said, i have never used zbrush so i am not sure of any similar functionality. But plan ahead, where should the decay be? Is it around the mouth, something like the "Alien" creatures from the respected movie where the are gaps in the mouth/jaw area that are like ligaments attaching the upper jaw to the lower? (i know that is not decay...but would be kinda cool in your case).
Like i said, im not an expert, but work in as much detail as you can at lower sub levels...if there are areas on the figure that appear to be cavities on the skin...push these in at a lower level and when you subdivide start adding in the details of the cavities...the bone, cartilage, muscle tissue....whatever it might be. Also if there is decay, is this a natural appearance on the creature that it carries on its entire life? Or was it attacked by something to expose the underlining tissue? Then you might want to add in scratch/bite/burn marks around the cavity area

For the jaw..it just looks too tapered in on the front view...it makes it look brittle and with little effort a blow to the jaw would break the bone. So maybe not have that jaw line so tight...you can make it a hard surface...but it needs less of a sharp angle on it like i pointed out on my previous link. Just keep it coming man, i hope this helps...my student days are long gone and I think you are doing a great job!! Just research what you want to add on the your creature...details are everything

I hope someone can point you in a better direction on the technical angle with zbrush, but try some options out and see what works best for you. I know the greatest thing is to see the details asap, but if the foundation is not solid than like anything it falls apart

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrape
Im not an expert by any stretch and I have never used zbrush, but i do have experience with mudbox a bit. So hopefully some of this might apply? I would start to rough out the decay areas at a fairly lower subdivsion level to at least block it in (depending on the size of the dacy region), subdivide it again and maybe use an image of decaying flesh as a stamp to help achieve some more detail in this area...here is an example example but you can use whatever image you want...there are plenty of images on the net and this same sort of decay can also be achieved with some photoshop work if you want to keep it kinda stylized. Also any image can be used as a paint layer too if you want...in mudbox you can paint the diffuse with with a stamp or use it as sculpt layer...like i said, i have never used zbrush so i am not sure of any similar functionality. But plan ahead, where should the decay be? Is it around the mouth, something like the "Alien" creatures from the respected movie where the are gaps in the mouth/jaw area that are like ligaments attaching the upper jaw to the lower? (i know that is not decay...but would be kinda cool in your case).
Like i said, im not an expert, but work in as much detail as you can at lower sub levels...if there are areas on the figure that appear to be cavities on the skin...push these in at a lower level and when you subdivide start adding in the details of the cavities...the bone, cartilage, muscle tissue....whatever it might be. Also if there is decay, is this a natural appearance on the creature that it carries on its entire life? Or was it attacked by something to expose the underlining tissue? Then you might want to add in scratch/bite/burn marks around the cavity area

For the jaw..it just looks too tapered in on the front view...it makes it look brittle and with little effort a blow to the jaw would break the bone. So maybe not have that jaw line so tight...you can make it a hard surface...but it needs less of a sharp angle on it like i pointed out on my previous link. Just keep it coming man, i hope this helps...my student days are long gone and I think you are doing a great job!! Just research what you want to add on the your creature...details are everything

I hope someone can point you in a better direction on the technical angle with zbrush, but try some options out and see what works best for you. I know the greatest thing is to see the details asap, but if the foundation is not solid than like anything it falls apart

thanks bud sorry for the late reply the internet is up and down all the time.. thanks for the time and help man means a lot for something keeping interest and helping me along.

one thing i am looking to do is on the arms of the character.. why they pointed is because i am like thinking about putting muscle on metal.... just don't have any idea as to do this...

but the decay.. i will certainly do as well as the jaw and neck area..

ill post up some more details.. and the feet >.< still working on its really hard for that haha..

Thread Closed share thread