Fallout Tactics Power Armor WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
So i put the final chest piece onto the concept mesh, and still wasnt happy with the proportions..
I tried and change some stuff with with a paintover, would this look better?:

or is something else not looking right?

I also had changed his waist piece in the front because the previous design would not allow him to bend his legs forward... so he had to go with that speedo kinda bottom.

Any comments or critiques would be great!

Old 11 November 2012   #17

Decimated the model and brought it into 3ds max for a sharper cleaner render to see the details more clearly

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Played around with the proportions a little more and tried to match more or less this model:

Here is the result:

Is it better? Worse? He does look tougher I think.. but does the model still have that action figure look?

Old 11 November 2012   #19
Nice work
Can't wait to see it with textures

Old 11 November 2012   #20
Thank you Rebro! Cant wait too! :P

Now just a quick question.. which is better, left or right?
There are very minor changes so if you can't spot them.. they are..
-Changed the size of the hands
-Changed the size of the chest piece
-Changed the shape of the lower leg piece

(the shoulders are also different.. but that one its definitely gonna stay as it is on the right)

Old 12 December 2012   #21
Ok so I got some feedback from Steven Stahlberg about the proportions (here i am again with the proportions)

They advised me on making the feet smaller, and to not make deep cuts in the transition from the arm and hand (which made it look like a toy) Also was advised to not make the armor so buldgy on the lower legs and front arms, and have it follow more closely the human structure. And lastly, another observation was to make his legs go a little higher up the hips to make him seem taller.

What you guys think? Is it an improvement?

Old 12 December 2012   #22
This is my first time visiting this thread, the WIP is definetly coming along and the proportions are much more believable in reference to something you could see someone wearing. The only thing that catches my eye is his armpit area. maybe the chest armor is distorting the view but it seems to me that his arm is jointed lower than it would on a man. I've attached a small overcrop of your image (i'll take it down in a few days, it is yours afterall )

Again it might only look that way with the chest armor covering that area...

BTW awesome detail (can we see a wireframe???)

Old 12 December 2012   #23
I think he looks great, but his arm/shoulder joints look 3-6 inchs to low.

Old 12 December 2012   #24
Originally Posted by Surgeuk: This is my first time visiting this thread, the WIP is definetly coming along and the proportions are much more believable in reference to something you could see someone wearing. The only thing that catches my eye is his armpit area. maybe the chest armor is distorting the view but it seems to me that his arm is jointed lower than it would on a man. I've attached a small overcrop of your image (i'll take it down in a few days, it is yours afterall )

Again it might only look that way with the chest armor covering that area...

BTW awesome detail (can we see a wireframe???)

Thank you for the comment Surgeuk. I will definitly try and refine the armpit area, it does seem a little low to me. Thanks for pointing that out.
Right now the wireframe is will look like a mess cause i just decimated the mesh in zbrush and haven't retopologized the model yet. Will leave that part for when the model is fully finished.

Originally Posted by Dan-Cable: I think he looks great, but his arm/shoulder joints look 3-6 inchs to low.

Thanks Dan-Cable! As i said above, i will be sure and try and fix that!

Now on to a new update.. i have finally completed the helmet! Here it is:

And here you may see the evolution from the concept mesh:

Again, the concept mesh looks so blobby to me after comparing...
Any comments and critiques are welcome.

Old 12 December 2012   #25
Got another update... this time with the waist area..

Top is the concept and bottom is the final version.. i added the other parts cause it was hard to tell much about the parts with them alone...

As you can see I made some big changes in the design with the stomach area cause i felt that the concept did not allow the model to bend forward.. the new design would let each of those horizontal pieces slide over one and other when he bends any way.

Any comments and critiques are welcome!

Old 12 December 2012   #26
Added some changes to the undersuit... giving it a hexagonal pattern. Here is a full body view with the arms, hands, legs, feet and shoulder armor still in concept mesh stage.

Old 02 February 2013   #27
Time for a new update! Sorry for the long delay on this one.
I finally moved to the legs and got his upper legs and knees done.

You obviously wont see the cylinder within the knee and the back side of the knee will be uncovered to allow for the leg to bend. Here is a picture with the rest of the armor:

Next update i should have the rest of the legs complete. As always... comments and critiques are welcome!

Old 04 April 2013   #28
Hi Everyone!
Sorry for the long waiting time between updates... i have been so busy lately! Anyway... the good news is i finally finished the lower legs!!!

I also drasticly changed the proportions... and i can finally say... i am happy with it. Lots of tweaks to the overall shape of the armor this time although you might not notice them...

Ok enough with the chit chat... here is the full body:

And here is the detail:

I am trying to make the suit as wearable as possible and not just a mechanical statue so i am exposing the underneath rubbery part in key parts of the armor.

Next up... the arms... Any comments and critiques are welcome!

Old 04 April 2013   #29
I am considering removing his shoulder armor, but not sure about it. Still gotta do the arms and it will be easier to decide then. But what do you guys think, do you like the shoulder armor or do you think it should go?

Old 04 April 2013   #30
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread