Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to M1KES
Fallout Tactics Power Armor WIP

I decided to try out some hard surface sculpting in zbrush

So i found this concept:

And decided to give it a shot using only zbrush. It's from the older fallout games, and i am gonna try and reproduce it using zbrush. Never played these older fallout games, but i liked the design and it has some interesting details.. i am however adding my own design and trying to give it a more contemporary feel.

Here were the 3 stages i went through:

Right now i am going through the process off concepting the details and giving the armor a more interesting look. So far i got the upper and lower torso detailed in:

Still might go through some changes but the rest of the arms, legs, head, hands, shoulder and pelvis will follow this design.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

A little progress with the head and waist area... Changed the material for a more metalic one. So far so good! Any comments and critiques are welcome!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Did a lillte more work... got the legs done!

I am gonna probably change the waist area as it does not look like he could bring his knees up... right now the piece looks like shorts.. gonna have to make it into an underwear shape so that he has more mobility.

Any comments and critiques are welcome!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

looks really good!
If achieving hard surfaces in zbrush was your goal i think you nailed it. Are you going to show some wear and tear on the armor to break up the symmetry a bit?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

thanks goatrape! I am hoping the polypaint will fix the symmetry.. i will add alot of scratches and wear and tear.. i didnt want to break the model hard surface with damage.. but i will see if i add it when the time comes.

I got feedback from another forum stating his proportions looked off. So i added superaverageman in zbrush under the armor and tried to fix it.

still get 6 and a half heads on perspective..and 7 full heads on isometric view.. (which view should i measure it on?).. I dont think i can put 8 heads cause the helmet is much larger than the actual head.. Does anoyone think it looks fine like this? Help with this please!

Here is the old proportions on the right.. and the quick fix with the superaverageman inside on the left:

Hopefully the proportions make more sense now..

Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

judging by the human overlay on the armor i would say the proportions look pretty good, but for the head armor the eyes do not match up with the helmet...if we wanted to get technical
On more thing and this is only a suggestion, because i know you wanted to achieve more of an old school Fallout suit design, i think you could tighten up the leg and arm armor to be more snug on the figure to have him more streamlined in case he had to move quickly or something. To correct my first sentence, I think the average human figure height is 7.5 heads tall after a quick search on the net. Comics and fashion illustrations tend to be 8...which would be cool on your end to give him more of an intimidating look

Keep it coming man!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrape
judging by the human overlay on the armor i would say the proportions look pretty good, but for the head armor the eyes do not match up with the helmet...if we wanted to get technical
On more thing and this is only a suggestion, because i know you wanted to achieve more of an old school Fallout suit design, i think you could tighten up the leg and arm armor to be more snug on the figure to have him more streamlined in case he had to move quickly or something. To correct my first sentence, I think the average human figure height is 7.5 heads tall after a quick search on the net. Comics and fashion illustrations tend to be 8...which would be cool on your end to give him more of an intimidating look

Keep it coming man!

Thanks goatrape... i actually was working on the proportions and i think i made him a little more bulkier!
I was actually thinking of making him into like a tank type character... very overpowering and intimidating..

Ok.. here is one where i tried and keep everything proportional... please tell me if anything looks strange or wront on his proportions

left is the new version.. right is the old one

Thanks to all the tips!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Very nice! I think the new one fits him better and looks like a tank
Could we get some other views as well? At least before you start with any kind of wear and tear details just to make sure he looks accurate in the suit

Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Very nice! I think the new one fits him better and looks like a tank
Could we get some other views as well? At least before you start with any kind of wear and tear details just to make sure he looks accurate in the suit

I will definitely post most more views.. i am just gonna finish detailing the arms, shoulder armor and hands, and will post it in various views to make sure its all ok. It will be the critical part of the model cause after is when i will start rebuilding the polished version of the armor.. so if there is any anomalies.. they have to be caught by then or they will pass onto the final version!

So.. turns out the arm proportions were very off.. i played around with it.. and i think i am finally happy with the overall proportions:

What you guys think? I think i achieved that more intimidating look then the small child in a suit look i had before.

Dont mind the pose... it was just some quick rotations to test the overall look of the character

Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Looking good so far Mike! I like the changes to the arms! Looking at again with the new pose (and i hate to be a pest after so much work you have put into this as of now) the end of the fingers look a bit tapered...but it's a bit hard to judge with out a close up. Just wanted to mention that while you are progressing on the arm detail
I'm liking the shoulder pads too....not sure if this is sticking with the original Fallout design, but are you going to add any lights on the shoulder or head area? To be more specific, like headlights.

It's comin along great man, keep it up! Wish others would comment on it as well :(

Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Looking good so far Mike! I like the changes to the arms! Looking at again with the new pose (and i hate to be a pest after so much work you have put into this as of now) the end of the fingers look a bit tapered...but it's a bit hard to judge with out a close up. Just wanted to mention that while you are progressing on the arm detail
I'm liking the shoulder pads too....not sure if this is sticking with the original Fallout design, but are you going to add any lights on the shoulder or head area? To be more specific, like headlights.

It's comin along great man, keep it up! Wish others would comment on it as well :(

Yes you are right the fingers do look weird.. but that is cause this was just a quick test pose that i used the move tool on.. thus deforming the finger in that strange way.. i have a save file of before i done these modifications... so its all good!

About the lights.. i have 2 humps on his soldier armor which is intended to be lights.. right now you cant tell that it is lights.. but hope to get it more obvious on the polishing phase.

Thanks for all your support and feedback goatrape, really apreciate it! I guess everyone else arent fallout fans! :P

Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

Okey doke, i figured it was just something about the pose that caused the fingers to taper like that...but had to mention it

Cant wait to see what you come up with on the shoulder pads!

I loved playing fallout back in the day (it was hard as hell if i recall)...never played the new fps one, which i hear is pretty good and i think the made a sequel to that one as well?

Anyway, keep it up man, i think you have a great piece of work going

Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Okey doke, i figured it was just something about the pose that caused the fingers to taper like that...but had to mention it

Cant wait to see what you come up with on the shoulder pads!

I loved playing fallout back in the day (it was hard as hell if i recall)...never played the new fps one, which i hear is pretty good and i think the made a sequel to that one as well?

Anyway, keep it up man, i think you have a great piece of work going

Hehe... I am the opposite, i have not played the older ones, and only played the newer fps ones. So i dont know the source material on this perfectly.

Ok, so i finished work on the arms and shoulder armor..

what you guys think?
I think i am just about done with this stage of the model… now onto polishing him out! It'll start looking much better!

Any comments and critiques are welcome!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
goatrape
Frequenter

Jonathan Colvin
Graphic Designer
Sarasota, USA

I think you can pick up the original fairly cheap nowdays...it was pretty fun and if i recall frustrating at times

I posted an image of some areas that I think might need to be polished up a bit because they appear to be not as smooth as the rest of the model...you might already be aware of this but i wanted to point it out in case

Sorry the link button doesnt seem t be working so you might have to copy and paste the url:

http://postimage.org/image/kx91pnys3/

Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
M1KES
Know-it-All
portfolio
Michael Gomes
Creature FX TD
MPC
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for the paintover goatrape! But as you can see with my new update.. everything is gonna get polished out.

Sorry i took so long for an update... been busy traveling...

Anyway...Final version of the upper armor... also put the old version for comparasion... the old one looks like crap to me now lol..

That smooth look on the pieces really help alot!

Thread Closed share thread