Skycity2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
That seems to be true also in the teaching and learning areas. Looking at old college course booklets from as far back as 2006, Maya and ZBrush courses are more numerous since about 2009/10. I don't see Softimage courses listed at all in recent years booklets, and even Max isn't as popular a course as Maya now. I suppose it's an always evolving and changing thing, and Maya will eventually play second fiddle to something newer and better. The one program that seems to have staying power in college courses is Photoshop. They seem to have been teaching PS forever and it is still a highly sought course, always fully subscribed at my local college. I think the fact that Photoshop is widely used in many industries is what makes it appeal to all sorts of students.

Talk about PS, its ridiculously price in Continental Europe. The CS6 Standard version cost $699 list on US website, but cost 950 on Germany website. I check this just today, as I need to get a new copy for my new PC. Seeing the big price difference left a sour taste in my mouth.

I used mainly Zbrush & Maya, & the good things about using popular software is support as well as more resources (tutorial, plugins, models, books etc).

I actually started with max made some of my early models in it, but I thought of giving Maya a try, & never went back to Max. I liked Maya Interface much better. Its also easier to borrow books at my local libraries on maya. The earlier adaption of Mental ray was pretty bad, & need a lot of technical know-how, & steps (link this node to this node) to get it working, but now its much better. I have few complain about Maya except the price! Zbrush however, is such a frustration, now its better, but the earlier version are so dark & moody, & menus that do not make senses.

Overall, I am happy with the tools I use.

Old 09 September 2012   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turin
well, it seems my laptop adapter died so i'm stuck without a computer at home for few days. anyway, i did some sketches and i need to decide, which way to go. either simple houses (on the left) that are not so interesting, but they work quite nicely together in the city, of more deformed houses (i like them more) but those might not work so well then i put many of them next to each other...

PKD: well judging from your Winter is coming, you should have no problem earning some money with 3d but yeah, it is expensive hobby, if you want to use professional tools. but so are most hobbies (i started making pottery and that is even more expensive than 3d )

Pottery is expensive? Hmmm, I did some pottery back in high school, but I only spend money on the mud, or clay, all else is from the school.

I used to play with cars (modifying stuff) & it cost a bomb. Now I just stick to stock cars. Yap, hobbies can be rather expensive.

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scote
What do you use for renderer? and how did you do the atmospheric look? lume glare?

we use Arnold here at work and I am in beta, so I never want to use anything else
atmosphere is done in Nuke simply using Z-depth, grade and some glow

PKD: yeah, pottery gets really expensive once you have to buy all the equipment (especially a kiln), get some place where you can do that etc. I've already spent more on that than I spent on Softimage license and my workstation... but i guess cars are even worse

Old 09 September 2012   #19
Well, im still without computer (using phone now) but it gives me time to think about the concept a little bit more. this is a sketch i did last night. it would be the outer edge of the city. A bit more natural...

Old 09 September 2012   #20
I really like your sketch

wait for up !

-----
L'homme regarde la fleur
La fleur sourit
-----

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Cool Arnold, I use it too at work. Thanks for the tips on the atmosphere.

Did you try maxwell renderer plug-in? I wonder if that's almost good as Arnold

Old 09 September 2012   #22
The atmosphere is just awsome.
The rock's base was the only thing your picture missed
Great work Keep it up!!!

Old 10 October 2012   #23
finally have my laptop working again.... so here is small update. i started working on those floating cliffs with some grass etc. not happy about it yet, but im confident it's a good way to go...

Scote: nope, havent tried Maxwell. I work in animation industry and can't see Maxwell being used for some animated feature film anytime soon but it might be interesting for design/viz work...

btw, im sorry about colors. it much more saturated here than i can see on my laptop

Old 10 October 2012   #24
finally started modeling of more detailed houses... each floor, roof etc. should be replaceable to get some variety...

Old 10 October 2012   #25
The girl looks too erotic in this picture, and is immediate attention stealer. But that's my impression, maybe I'm wrong.

Old 10 October 2012   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
The girl looks too erotic in this picture, and is immediate attention stealer. But that's my impression, maybe I'm wrong.

hmm, she is wearing some kind of pilot's suit... should not be too erotic when its textured

but im thinking if it's good idea to use Last Exile character at all. maybe replacing her with some original (and more steampunk) character would be better...

Old 10 October 2012   #27
i started working on pipes that will run through the city. this one is the biggest of them, but i will make some smaller as well...

here i tried another camera view and some changes in the city. some parts are ok, but there are many places that look just messy and will need a lot of work once all the components are ready. i guess that will be the most difficult part of the project

Old 10 October 2012   #28
Wonderful feeling to see your update each time.

Keep it up.

Old 10 October 2012   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
Wonderful feeling to see your update each time.

Keep it up.

thanks

tiny update:

i tried combining 3 houses into one. it kind of works so i'm happy.
also did the first test with some colors (no textures)

and few more sketches:

Old 10 October 2012   #30
Looking really fantastic, some nice tech below the hood going on here!

Thread Closed share thread