Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge
Johannesburg, South Africa

Wip Creature

Hey guys.
This is a school project i am currently working on and would love feedback on the direction to go or how to improve on the project i am using zbrush as this is my first year in animation i am still a newbie

Bump

Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
MrJuzah
Obsol33t Modeller

portfolio
Jay Lawrence
3D Generalist
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to MrJuzah
Looking alright Custardcs, though at the moment it doesn't look like it has much direction - no amount of skill or talent is going to make up for a well thought out/planned project mate!

Aliens like those in John Carter work because they're grounded in anatomy (be it animal, human, or otherwise) that we recognise. At the moment his face is almost draconic whilst from the sideview the rear of him looks more marine-based - Though the skin detail applied currently is working against this.

To take this to the next level I think you'd benefit from thinking about this characters background, where does it live, what does it do, then find some photographs of relevant references and push bits and pieces around and start working towards him/her being a believable entity.

-----

That aside, the only improvement I can suggest modelling wise is there is no differentiation between bone/muscle - This can be rectified by breaking up the constant smoothness in the surface, skin folds, soft raises/dips in surface where there is more softness to the surface.

A note on the animation side; This is a pretty complex character to be animating in your first year, make sure you keep a low polygon version of the character, or later on look into building a proxy version which is vastly simplified. Then you animate that, and simply wrap your high-res around the animated proxy.

Best of luck!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJuzah
Looking alright Custardcs, though at the moment it doesn't look like it has much direction - no amount of skill or talent is going to make up for a well thought out/planned project mate!

Aliens like those in John Carter work because they're grounded in anatomy (be it animal, human, or otherwise) that we recognise. At the moment his face is almost draconic whilst from the sideview the rear of him looks more marine-based - Though the skin detail applied currently is working against this.

To take this to the next level I think you'd benefit from thinking about this characters background, where does it live, what does it do, then find some photographs of relevant references and push bits and pieces around and start working towards him/her being a believable entity.

-----

That aside, the only improvement I can suggest modelling wise is there is no differentiation between bone/muscle - This can be rectified by breaking up the constant smoothness in the surface, skin folds, soft raises/dips in surface where there is more softness to the surface.

A note on the animation side; This is a pretty complex character to be animating in your first year, make sure you keep a low polygon version of the character, or later on look into building a proxy version which is vastly simplified. Then you animate that, and simply wrap your high-res around the animated proxy.

Best of luck!

hey MrJuzah

thanks for the quick reply.

we did think of a bio and a story and a background regarding our character.... i thought of a dolphin/alien that has no mouth and uses its nose to feed etc.. and it come out to be something along this line. as i am still learning. i am grateful for your reply

my lecture said the same thing regarding bone structure.. but he has not explain to me exactly how to define.. the difference..

do you mean as the whole thing is very smooth adding sharper curves to define the bone area?

i have defiantly kept the lowres for animation :P we only starting that now. so the next few weeks are about animation. but i feel like the character is not complete... i like the style.. but noone besides yourself has commented and let me work in a general direction... i am literally just doing my own thing as i have no one to guide me.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
MrJuzah
Obsol33t Modeller

portfolio
Jay Lawrence
3D Generalist
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to MrJuzah
I know how you feel! The education system really hasn't found the right way to teach 3D yet I think, the majority simply use the Autodesk manuals for Maya, OR regurgitate eat3D/Gnomon tutorials and get paid for it!

Yeah harder lines and more thought to the kind of surface you're trying to sell. A dolphins skin is more sleek and hummm ....Sandpaper'ee (not as rough of course, but the surface is covered in small bumps, opposed to a creased leather/hide like ya have now)

The character - If he's eating with his nose, I wouldn't of guessed as much from his current design - Reason being he looks like hes largely humanoid excusing the face (and I'm assuming he lives in the swamp you posted on your other thread? That's looking real good! Didn't comment there as I was already picking holes here ). Most animals which root out food with their noses tend to have elongated noses to help increase the range of foods they can access. At present I think come meal time he'd look pretty comical attempting to stuff solid foods against his nose/face holes lol.

Do ya have any concepts ya working from? May prove useful if folks can see where the idea started, and somebody may be nice enough to do a paintover with suggestions on where ya could take it

Not trying to be a soul destroying keyboard warrior mate, sorry if it's come across that way!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJuzah
I know how you feel! The education system really hasn't found the right way to teach 3D yet I think, the majority simply use the Autodesk manuals for Maya, OR regurgitate eat3D/Gnomon tutorials and get paid for it!

Yeah harder lines and more thought to the kind of surface you're trying to sell. A dolphins skin is more sleek and hummm ....Sandpaper'ee (not as rough of course, but the surface is covered in small bumps, opposed to a creased leather/hide like ya have now)

The character - If he's eating with his nose, I wouldn't of guessed as much from his current design - Reason being he looks like hes largely humanoid excusing the face (and I'm assuming he lives in the swamp you posted on your other thread? That's looking real good! Didn't comment there as I was already picking holes here ). Most animals which root out food with their noses tend to have elongated noses to help increase the range of foods they can access. At present I think come meal time he'd look pretty comical attempting to stuff solid foods against his nose/face holes lol.

Do ya have any concepts ya working from? May prove useful if folks can see where the idea started, and somebody may be nice enough to do a paintover with suggestions on where ya could take it

Not trying to be a soul destroying keyboard warrior mate, sorry if it's come across that way!

thats why i am looking for some help/guidance from somewhere.. and next year i really would like to do an intern somewhere other than South Africa >.< because you are correctly 100% they uses tutorials to teach..

i have and entire story regarding... how he eats to what he eats... he is an alien so he uses the smell and breaks down the atoms to get the food he requires.. that is why he doesn't have a mouth at all.. the rough leather feel was because of the area he lives in needs protection from the sand.. that was the kinda idea.. haha no he doesnt live in the swamp.. basically me and this guy who was supposed to be my partner broke apart in class because of conflict he caused. so we went our separate ways. and the best part is he was the lecturers brother.. which made things worse so you can see why i dont get the guidance i need...

but besides that i am just making a swamp scene for something nice to look at, while this was actually made for the orignal project.. but i dont just want to throw it away.. i would like to really improve it.

here is the skull i made in the beginning to kind of get the idea of what i wanted..

Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge

These were like very early concepts created by my self and my partner. thats how we started... and were we came from..

once all the crap happened.. i went in my own direction... i dont have the original image i drew and got the whole idea from.. we did chop and change. as we went along as the lecturer told us to do.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

I think there is too little details & information in the concepts to make a good model...base on the concept. Also, you need at least also a side view.

As a learner, I will also keep the design simple also.

Personally, I am totally not feeling the model, it looks like a dog or something from the front view.

Nevertheless, keep going.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
custardcs
Veteran
portfolio
Jared Barrett
I.T. Service Engineer
Quinedge

Thanks for the reply

i was not able to upload everything that i have.. i had side/front and top view. for the character but when i broke off with my partner i deleted most of the files.. these were backups of backs up.. only things i have left :P

the character.. its ment to be different. in the sense of he is an advance alien race. and he does not need a mouth it was the ideas that we drafted from the story..

but thanks for your comment.. i am hoping to improve it or go in a certain direction so that it is interesting for people to look at.

i under stand i am still a student.. but simple is everywhere.. i am trying to push my self as best as i can to get the most out of what i have at the moment.. but any guidance is by all means good as i dont have any.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread