Please help me to improve!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Originally Posted by Sundaynights: I will make the adjustments and try to apply them also to my next models. Here first a quick paintover.

female_head_19.09.2012_wire_paintover von Sundaynights auf Flickr
Yes, the ideas for corrections seem to be fine. Except perhaps the widening of the nose - the width of the bridge is ok while it’s more the lower part needing volume.

Originally Posted by Sundaynights: So, if I understand you right: if I want to have the actually density on the cheeks I should also add density on the forehead?

The other way, i’d say. (i’d lower the density on the face) But you’re right when keeping the current density on the face.

Old 09 September 2012   #17

My suggestion
Get the topology right first, then get proportion right. Post your updated image, & we can look into the next step.

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Sundaynights: Hi Andre,

thanks for watching and replying.
I am allready on the lookout of internships. Pixomondo turned me down so. Didn't had Acht Frankfurt on my list. These here right?
http://www.acht-frankfurt.de/

Will look at them and might apply. I first applied only at studios for film and advertisment. But not all replied. I want to improve and then apply again until I get an intership spot.

So thanks for the suggestion. Any critiques about my works and ideas what to model next with extra attention and motivation?

Oh too bad they turned you down and yes that's the Acht Frankfurt, fingers crossed Only apply with your best stuff and watch video tutorials about modeling, texturing, shading and rendering. There's plenty of stuff out there.
Critic wise a lot has been said by the others already. Hmm pick something you can get a lot of reference photos about as well as texture material (you might just shoot by yourself).

Cheers
Andre

Old 09 September 2012   #19
I also thought, that just modelling along with a video without any reference isn't the best way to get good results, but it helped to get the process down and see how and where the edges flow. I will work on the first head and make the adjustments tonight, but for now I want to show you a new version of a human head/face that I did with reference.
Forgive me that I hadn't the patience to set up lights and render it out.

The reference: I had a hard time lining them up and the ear isn't in the exact same position.

xray:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynights/8009326791/]

wires:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynights/8009335072/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynights/8009327117/]

viewport view:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynights/8009326893/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynights/8009326979/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynights/8009326979/]

what do you think?
I tried to let one edge stay where the jaw line should be, and I broke up the symmetry.

I was at the main station, sending someone off, and was stunned how many different faces there are. I tried to imagen how I would model them and where to put the lines and so on.
I definetly will do more faces!

Old 09 September 2012   #20

female_face_WIP21.09.2012 von Sundaynights auf Flickr

and here the worked on version of the previous female head. I think she looks like a gypsy now and I want to get her black long hair, with wavy eyebrows, big eyelashes, flowing garmets and big earrings.
I used the reference from PKD to match proportions. Thank you PKD!
Is there a good side for modeller reference like you posted? Or just big brother google?

Old 09 September 2012   #21
I like your new model (the first you’ve posted now). The only problem with the mesh:
1. that ‘cobweb’ formation above the ears
2. the very straight loops at the inner brow area
3. and that pulling up of the wire to the ears at her neck. The lower res at the sides of the neck would cause problems when rigging (the loops have also to follow the shape of the planned bending)

The shape has some nice attempts but it’s partially overdone - especially cheeks and jaw remind slightly on a potato (especially in 1/4 view) - get more subtle there and also your victim (your real model) will like it much more.

An other point is the rear half of the head, needing more attention.(the widest area of a skull is right behind the ears when looking from above) And keep an eye on the back of the head also in 1/4 views, looking somewhat strange at the moment. Plus give the model those nice ears instead of such large things (not reaching down that low at all).

An other tip: better to use tele angle lenses when photographing someone for ref - the center of the picture is otherwise enlarged due to distortion, getting then large noses, large cheeks, large ears, etc. If you don’t have such a camera then do the shot from further away and crop the head later.

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Thanks Zokana,

you have good points there!
I'll work on her and adjust her as soon as I can.

Quote: An other tip: better to use tele angle lenses when photographing someone for ref - the center of the picture is otherwise enlarged due to distortion, getting then large noses, large cheeks, large ears, etc. If you don’t have such a camera then do the shot from further away and crop the head later.

I actually first startet with a very close-up taken photo and realized when it came to the ear that something isn't right (because they actually got cut off). I took a shot from farer away (the ones from reference are just zoomed in), but it might be still somewhat distorted as I made them with my smartphone. I'll test my digicam - maybe it makes better reference photos.
I fear that I can't affort to buy tele angle lenses for my cam - that's costy phew.

Last edited by Sundaynights : 09 September 2012 at 02:53 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #23
So here the update. Spend some hours to change everything suggested and I am more happier with the outcome now! Also there are now only quads except for one tris at every ear (on the inside) - but since the ear has already to many lines I decided to let it be.
I couldn't remove the net of the ear fully as I think I need this to make a nicer transition and also to get that nice rounded shape of the ears back - I know it's somehow wasted becaus ther is really no need for it as the hair should cover most of the parts. I also decided to break the center line - she is unsymmetrical and should therefore never be mirrored again - so no need for a continous center line and space to get rid of some extra edges.

Do I have enough lines at the neck now? Is the ear still too big?
I also added the wrinkles on the lower part of the eyes without adding geometry. It would look better with more geometry (I think) - but maybe mudbox/zbrush would do a better job at that.

And I am getting more comfortable at working with a higher mesh (and also more comfortable modelling faces).

Last edited by Sundaynights : 09 September 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #24
Much improved.

Proportion is much improved. Next step is to get the main shape rights.

Old 09 September 2012   #25
Hey PKD, thanks!
could you be more precise what shapes I did wrong and how to solve the issues? I could do closer up pictures of the areas you might want to see better. (from the mesh and from the real person)

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Nice improvements, Sundaynights! Some likeness starts to get noticeable. Did you make new shots, or are you working with the shown refs?

Some crits, as far evaluable with these refs:
• the head is rather narrow (while the distance of the eyes shouldn’t get wider)
• lower lip could look much smoother, also that slight ‘double chin’ is overdone, nostrils are huge and sharp, plus jaw line is extremely sharp as well (you could be much nicer to your real model... i mean it seriously >> try to get her as beautiful as you can. Her face has very subtle and smooth shapes in reality >> try to get that!)
• ears are huge as well and their shape is off.

But as mentioned: it’s coming nicely!

Old 09 September 2012   #27
Originally Posted by Sundaynights: Hey PKD, thanks!
could you be more precise what shapes I did wrong and how to solve the issues? I could do closer up pictures of the areas you might want to see better. (from the mesh and from the real person)

Start with the eyes area. Its was a paintiver I did a while back, but its applicable to your model. Basically, you should not have a sink in (or concave at side of the eyes.)

Old 10 October 2012   #28
Hey guys,

thanks for the advice and sorry for not updating for so long - I was quite busy and hadn't time to do the adjustments quicker.

So here is the new version - I decided to reduce confusion and only work on the head with reference. Since it is myself I didn't shoot more photos and just used the mirror for the critical parts. The overall proportions are still fitting with the referencephotos.

I made the ear much smaller and reduced the fleshy part of the cheeks. I hope there is no concave part around the eyes anymore as I pushed points there over and over again.
I tend to like the mesh more every time I work on it. Overall she is now much nicer and softer I think. If you are also happy with her I would move on with a lil bit of detailing in mudbox and then of course texturing her. (I tried also to lay out the UVs)

C&C welcome!

Old 10 October 2012   #29
Looking better!

Its a bit tough to judge the model from such small screen grabs. You can turn your thumbnail images into a link to a larger image hosted offsite by using...

[url =LINKTOLARGEIMAGE][img]LINKTOTHUMBNAIL[/img][/url]

I had to add the space to get the line to print, but don't add any spaces when you post your image.

As far as your UVs go, try to fill up more of the square if you can. Use a soft selection tool to scale up your ears, nose, lips, and mouth. You need more resolution on those parts, and less on the top of the head.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10 October 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #30
And i thought it was your sister being your victim... It’s a good update with much cleaner shapes! There is a major issue and a view minor ones i’d address now:

- the back of the head isn’t wide enough behind and above the ears. Check skulls in top view!! Correcting that will change also the overall form of the head in frontal view, losing then the current pointy egg shape.

- plus the minor stuff: cheeks bones right in front of the ears should go up a bit; eyes are slightly too small; mouth is slightly too wide; and the chin should be wider (compare the width of the facial parts by drawing vertical lines)

Thread Closed share thread