Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Victariand
Veteran

portfolio
James Rosenkranz
Ready at Dawn
Los Angeles, USA

Launching Spaceship

For a personal project, I've always wanted to take a crack at recreating a painting in 3d - and see how that goes. Anyway, I rather like the work of John Berkey - so I selected a painting and got started.

I've got much of the initial modeling out of the way, so I am just beginning a lighting blockout before moving onto an initial material pass. I am a tad unsure as to how best to set up the lighting in a scene like this - so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyway, any C&C is welcome.

thanks!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

nice,

but you need to work the textures well if you want to correct your composition

Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Nice work. Whats the little hill at the bottom of the picture?

No critics on the modeling, but I feel the picture looks a little flat, or lack of perspective. Ths aircraft blend too much into the background, every thing is so vertical or lined up(verticial from the buildings, as well as the aircraft)

Maybe you can consider change to a more interesting perspective, & the aircraft tilt a little to suggest movement.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

How long have you spent on this so far? What is the ground hump under the aircraft for? Nice work so far. All I can suggest is you use a wider lens angle and move in closer so the background drops back more and give the image more depth. As it is, there is a telephoto look to it which makes everything look crammed together.
Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

This is an amazing tribute piece to one of the greatest sci-fi artists of all time. (Some people really need to get out more is they aren't familiar with his huge body of influential work.) Kudos for not choosing one of his simpler images. Can't wait to see it textured and lighted. As for lighting, it looks pretty soft, from the upper left, with just a hint of DOF in the bg buildings. Shouldn't be too complicated. What modeler & renderer are you using?

You are brave to take on modeling a Berkey scene as so much of the detail is impressionistic or only lightly suggested. I've always thought it would be a modeling nightmare if I were ever assigned to build one of his ships! But your model looks great.

Last edited by Artbot : 09-13-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Victariand
Veteran

portfolio
James Rosenkranz
Ready at Dawn
Los Angeles, USA

Artbot correctly identified the source image (Nice catch, I should have linked to it in the header!) The hump is a placeholder for the displaced water, which will be a project of its own.

I've been using Maya/Mental Ray to produce this and so far I've probably invested a day in modeling, spread out over a couple of weeks, with a good deal of frustration trying to match the perspective to the painting. The depth critique is definitely a valid one, though - I will see about rearranging the background a bit.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Its always a good idea to link your reference, with proper credit to the artist, & permission(if possible) from the original artist.

Now everything is more clear.

If you look careful at the original artwork, you can see that some buildings, like the one at the center of the image is rather far. In yours, they are all very near.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
Its always a good idea to link your reference, with proper credit to the artist, & permission(if possible) from the original artist.

Seems unlikely. I thought his work was more universally known. Perhaps not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
If you look careful at the original artwork, you can see that some buildings, like the one at the center of the image is rather far. In yours, they are all very near.

I think the flat, long-lense perspective works well. It's what he tried to do in the painting and you've captured it nicely. I think that some fog and DOF will take care of the appearance issues with that region of the bg.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Darkmesh
Veteran

amazing work

Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread