The White House

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Quote: Ain't nobody got time fo dat

Are quoting Smoke and the Bandit? If so you just scored major cool point's with me.

04 April 2013
Haha no cool points for me today, more a quote of a recent "Youtube star" :-P

04 April 2013
Small update, finally did the hanging lamp on the north portico.

Plain shaders on this one.

Click on image for full res

I wish I had the time to just wrap this one up and call it a day.

Andre

04 April 2013
Hey Andre,

Wow! That trim work is fantastic! Thanks again for taking time to post updates on this. I've really enjoyed following your threads.

I noticed on your site that your working on a project called White House Down, and you also worked on Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Any chance these projects and your model are related?

-AJ

06 June 2013
@AJ1: Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like my stuff! Hehe yes my White House is kind of related to both movies but unfortunately I can't say in which way I just checked out your ship again... man what a beautiful piece of work! I can't believe you're also doing the interior struts after those insane rigging of the sails, ropes etc.

Over a year on White House Down wasn't enough so I jumped right back onto this one, added more details, textured most of the parts and cleaned up the entire file, named all objects, reset transforms etc etc etc.

I think 98% of the modeling and 90% of the texturing is done. The driveway, sidewalk on the north side need to be textured as well as the stairs on the south portico. Time to call it a day and leave it where it is.
I found found out that basically everything you can see from eye-level is maintained quite well but the roof section has a lot of stains and weathering. I tried to capture that as well.

Fun fact: It looks like the ornament thing at the top of each chimney is not actually stone, it is just a folded thin metal piece that is wrapped around it. It wobbles off here and there and leaves a hollow gap.

What do you guys think? Good enough for the asset itself or eye-bleaching?
Disregard the missing reflections in the windows, I must have messed up something in the reflection environment.

Cheers
Andre, heading to the beach

06 June 2013
I must commend you on this project and, as always your exceptional comitment to detail, but I am curious to the specs of the machine you use and what you felt was the most difficult area to model.

06 June 2013
@Artdigital: Hehe it's that commitment to detail that makes those things take way too long :P The most difficult thing on the White House is the research actually. It is very hard to find detailed information about certain areas, especially those to which the public has no access to like the roof and it's surroundings. Modeling wise the white foundation of the stairs was the most annoying one to get right in it's curvature built way. My machine is a dual six-core Intel Xeon at 2.4Ghz, 48GB Ram and two solid state drives - one for the operating system and a "working-drive" which is a PCI Express SSD so loading,saving etc doesn't take long. But the White House doesn't need those resources at all, especially once I converted the large 16K and 8K textures into tiled EXRs to make it more memory friendly.

A few more angles showing additional bits and pieces as well as the quick and dirty plaster texturing.

Cheers
Andre

07 July 2013
Very cool stuff! What are you going to do about surroundings? Modeling everything would seem like a crazy idea, but knowing you, I am having second thoughts .

07 July 2013
Sweet job!

07 July 2013
@AlexSarakapudaff: Ha the surroundings... I generated a bunch of very high res trees but I didn't have the time yet to properly texture and shade them. I know the surroundings of the White House quite well and it's a ton of work because they have about 50 different plants and trees in the garden. I guess it's gonna be an approximation in the end. Depending where the camera is, the greenery covers up pretty much everything of the surrounding city blocks.

@MisterS: Thanks

07 July 2013
How do you know the White House so well?

07 July 2013
I did a loooot of reserach, found every little photo online, info from the library of Congress, books and working on two movies involving the White House

07 July 2013
This is beautiful! I love everything about it

07 July 2013
amazing details & very nice work i like it very much

11 November 2013
@AndrewMcC: Thanks, glad you like my work!

@Mr-Evil-studio: Thanks too!

White House garden still to come. Need tons of real good trees and bushes.... a a final Mi-24

Thread Closed share thread