The White House

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #46
Well holly c**p!! This looks awesome!

Old 02 February 2013   #47
great model sofar, i also like the first texture and shading steps.

Old 02 February 2013   #48
Wow, that's stunning work
are U planning interior too?

Old 02 February 2013   #49
The Oval office please!!

Old 02 February 2013   #50
@ULTR4MAR: Thanks I hope it looks even better soon!

@Kzin: Thanks as well!

@Rebro: Thnaks and no hehe I'm not planning to do the interior even though I could as I have enough reserach material. I am happy when I get this one out of the door finally!

@Scote: That might actually come when I'm done with the White House Residence. Later I'm going to add the East- and Westwing.

So here's a small update. All in a kinda rough state. Shading is a bit too reflective in one render and a bit too less in the other, still dialing in all sort of things. I also did the UVs and the first 4K texture of the chimneys.

Please click on the image for full res

Hope you like it and thanks for stepping by!

Cheers
Andre

Old 02 February 2013   #51
Thumbs up

Hi sir,
Oh love the texturing of chimneys dirt patches and cut to cut brick bump. amazing!

did u use bump map for wear-tear of chimneys? they are looking suprb.
your textures are also looking sharp and awesome.

some tips& tricks would be great.

-dushyant

Old 02 February 2013   #52
@Dirtvic: Thanks! Yes I made a bump map as well, first version of it though. Uhm tips&tricks for this? hmm... not much magic here. Just old school clean unwrapping of everything, lay the UVs out in a neat way and then start texturing in Photoshop Maybe I use Mari later to paint over some texture seams and maybe do some more contact dirt here and there. I guess they key is to have good high res texture material to start with and enough variations of those, especially for the metal roof panels.

Updates of the roof and other stuff soon

Cheers
Andre

Old 03 March 2013   #53
Another update, worked on the South Portico terrace, the Truman Balcony as well as on the Sunroom and the top floor textures. Will start soon breaking up all the straight lines of the roof, making everything a bit more organic and better texture-dirt blending.

I'm still debating if I should unwrap the whole white plaster structure (pain) or just do projections from all four sides and only unwrap where it's really necessary like the top of the balustrade and other bigger upwards facing areas etc.

Click on image for full res

Hope you like it!

Cheers
Andre

Old 03 March 2013   #54
Wow, this is coming along nicely! Though, I have to point out that it looked more white before the texturing . I am curious, how did you come about to start this project?

Old 03 March 2013   #55
@AlexSarakapudaff: Thanks! Hehe yeah you would be surprised how many stains and holes in the plaster you can find on the real White House. It's by far not just white, especially on the roof section. A lot of weathering there. I was working on a movie that needed a kinda low/medium detail White House model and after a while I started to like the architecture. I also noticed that basically no one else ever built a high res version of it. Maybe the tough research is one of the reasons. Sometimes it took me hours to find just the right photo as a reference for modeling something that;s usually hidden by trees and bushes. What's also tricky is that the architecture constantly changed which was very confusing in the beginning. So the architecture and that no one else made a detailed one was the motivation

Old 03 March 2013   #56
Some more progress on the roof section and the balconies.

I unwrapped the entire balustrade and the pillars which wasn't funny :-P

Here's a close up render of a section of the railing. It uses a 16K map, bump, spec, glossy still to come.

Here's the fun I had with doing the UVs. Took some time to create a clean unwrap and a layout that makes it faster for texturing in PS.

A 4K render of the roof section as it is. Still needs a ton of love. Also textured the Truman Balcony and the terrace underneath.
The center part of the roof where the snipers walk around still looks horrible. Will redo the whole section.

Hope you like it! Some other views are cooking, will be up soon.
I hope one day this thing is done haha!

Cheers
Andre

Old 04 April 2013   #57
I "love" modeling ornaments... :-P

Hope you like it!

Cheers
Andre

Old 04 April 2013   #58
Damn!!! Nice man, modeling with topology is a skill

Old 04 April 2013   #59
Wow that's amazing work Andre!
Would love to see a demo of your workflow some time. Really impressive stuff.

Old 04 April 2013   #60
@Scote: Thanks! But yeah... it's more a game of patience

@nickmarshallvfx: Thanks as well. There's not really some thing special about the workflow or so. It's all dull and plain simple modeling.

Started to model the last bits and pieces on my to do list and cleaning up the whole file. I think I'm not going to unwrap every little thing. An overall quick mapping will do the job for the plaster with some local variations. Ain't nobody got time fo dat

Cheers
Andre

Thread Closed share thread