The White House

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #31
@AlexSarakapudaff: Thnaks, yeah can;t wait to see it done. I updated the Mi-24 as well... step by step... :-P

@The_FubaR: Thanks too, yes I added a bit just for the giggles.

Jumping back and forth between this one and the chopper

Cheers
Andre

Old 10 October 2012   #32
looks very good! I just cant image the work behind this piece. can you tell me your chromatic aberation techique? I will be keeping my eye on this because its top row work

Old 10 October 2012   #33
Hey André, I'm just wondering are you modelling this for fun or with a purpose?

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 10 October 2012   #34
@ConceptStingray: Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like my work! Most of the work is actually research, finding the right picture for something that;s usually hidden by trees and bushes. Usually you start with a piece you found a pic of and once it is done you find a better pic and then you re-do it Ohh and the fake chromatic aberration can be done by just rotating the red and green channel. Or use the "lens correction" in PS.

@cobra6: It's all for fun, that;s the purpose

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Hey Andre,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting your progress on this and your various aviation pieces. Your works, both professional and personal, have been a huge inspiration to me, and have helped me to further push the quality and detail in my own models. Congrats on all your success in the VFX industry, and keep us posted!

-AJ

Old 10 October 2012   #36
@oAJo: Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad my work inspires you

Old 02 February 2013   #37
I finally found a bit of time to blow the dust off this one.

Added plenty of small little bits n' pieces which took quite some time to research time as well as remodeled some parts to follow more the original. There's always that one reference picture that appears after you finished something

Looking forward to texture it!

Click on image for full res

Cheers
Andre

Old 02 February 2013   #38
Very nice modeling as always, Andre.

Old 02 February 2013   #39
Great updates as always Andre! Any chance of seeing some wireframes of those last renders? I'm really interested in seeing how you have approached construction, especially around the windows and roof...

Also, you've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but what is your render engine, and what sort of render times are these renders giving you?

Cheers!
N

Old 02 February 2013   #40
@AlexSarakapudaff: Thanks

@nickmarshallvfx: Thanks too! I rendered some wireframes, hopefully they show what you were asking for. It's all pretty much basic simple geometry and I'm trying to keep all in quads. Those renders were done with vray. A full HD frame showing the entire White House takes about 10-14 minutes depending on what you see.

Here are some wires:

Cheers
Andre

Old 02 February 2013   #41
I love to watch how clean and straight your wires are. I see some kind of german ordnung:P What more, there is a crazy level of details. 99% of us would probably make a simple box to imitate a small camera on the roof

BTW: I do not remember did I ask you about this thing, but... I saw on your web site that curently you are working on movie called "White House Down"... did it inspire you to make this wip or maybe it is a part of your work, that can be shown (but this would be hard to believe ???
my wip: Bell Uh-1

my work: Land Rover Defender in the forest

Old 02 February 2013   #42
Great to see, I was largely looking at how much you had constructed the window frames and ribbed roofing from the base roof mesh or how much those were individual primitives, and I can see now that they are mostly individual primitives, which is good to know for someone who is a more newbie modeller
Look forward to seeing more updates soon, can't wait to see the inevitable White House with choppers renders that must surely come!

N

Old 02 February 2013   #43
@pgajlewicz: Thanks! Yeah all clean and straight which will be an issue later in terms of photorealism. I'll have to bring in some slight a-symmetries, crack up edges etc etc... The amount of detail could be considered as "overdone" but as it is just a thing I love to do... I did it that way Yes I am working on "White House Down" right now and it's a funny coincidence that I started working on the White House model when this movie came around the corner.

@nickmarshallvfx: Yeah modeling everything out of one single mesh doesn't make much sense and in reality, all such things consist out of individual parts. Hehe I have a nice shot in my head involving the White House and a Mi-24

Busy, busy... but not on this one unfortunately. Job is keeping me really occupied these days (weeks, months...) which oh well, is a good thing.

Updates soon!

Cheers
Andre

Old 02 February 2013   #44
Hey Andre, I just have one question I have to ask you. You said that you try to keep your geo all in quads. Why is that important for you? I understand this is a good habit in most cases, but looking at your wireframes it seems to me that triangles would do fine in some places and save you some polygons.

Old 02 February 2013   #45
@AlexSarakapudaff: For the most part it is just to have a "clean" mesh and it comes in handy when dealing with displacement. There will be some triangles here and there on the top cap of the balustrade though.

Found some time to start texturing the roof section. All textures are in an early state, especially the red and yellowish bricks.
The metal part of the roof got the most attention so far but there are still quite a few pieces which need to be done. I squeezed the diffuse into reflection and bump which will later be done in the right way of course.
The resolution for the greyish metal parts texture is at 16K x 16K.

Click on image for full res

And here the UV fun part

Hope you like it!

Cheers
Andre

Thread Closed share thread