30mm anti-Midian cannon The Harkonnen

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2012   #1
30mm anti-Midian cannon The Harkonnen

While I am not a huge fan of Hellsing OVA (that's one bloody show) I do like some characters and especially some weapons. So I started to make Seras Victoria Infamous Harkonen cannon. I glued some reference pictures and started using them as blueprints for Harkonnen.

And my progress so far.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Originally Posted by Misucra: While I am not a huge fan of Hellsing OVA (that's one bloody show) I do like some characters and especially some weapons.

Hell of a show.. but you should revisit your sentence.. You said NOt a huge fan.. surely a mistake.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
A little update. Had some other very serious matters to attend *cough*Gamescom*cough* so I wasn't very active with Harkonnen. But now I am back.

Here is almost finished body of Harkonnen.

P.S Scote I don't think I could call myself a huge fan of Hellsing. I barely have watched all OVA episodes, all Tv series, not to mention I have read all manga volumes of Hellsing and pretty much I can remember every character name. I just like some parts of that show.

Last edited by Misucra : 08 August 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #4
I have run into a pretty annoying problem and I think I have found the solution, but I don't know if it will be alright for the textures.

While the piece itself is insanely simple I have a problem with it's edges, while using Turbosmooth or SUBsurface.

My first tries were... not good

That took me a whole day to make...

And this version took me 5 minutes..

I am using Turbosmooth Iterations 2 for fast look up.

Does this look good? Is Topology in right order? Maybe I am missing some super simple technique for handling edges on difficult form models?

Thank you in advance for Critique and Advices.

Old 08 August 2012   #5
Hi that peace should work fine and it looks ok.

Just have in mind that when u want to have cylindrical parts with some cuts or more complex details make sure to have more divisions so it can be smoothed correctly.

Have fun modeling the rest of your model.

Igor

Old 03 March 2013   #6
After lots of errors, crashes, disappointments and loss of half of my job, I decided to beat the fears and just finish this baby once and for all.
I was lucky enough to get some undamaged parts from my old Harkonnen project. Now I just need to refine and finish the remaining parts of the cannon, starting with this kind of mechanic part of Harkonnen.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Excellent work! I had the crash/lose everything/restart happen to me on a high detail car model once. I was livid for like... two days.

I was seriously about to post a reply and say WAIT WAIT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL THAT VERTEX WORK for the halved-barrel clamp object until I scrolled down and saw that you figured it out yourself LOL.

Not sure if this is how you ended up doing the last revision but this is the fasted method I've found -

Create a cylinder to match the scale of your tube, scale to fit etc, segment as needed for geometry. Collapse to Poly. Delete cylinder cap polygons, you should now have a one-sided poly tube.Now you can go into edge mode, pick out the edges you want manually to define the break in shapes.

Now with those edges selected where you want to break the shapes into two, chamfer very very lightly and check "open".

Now apply a shell modifier to the two elements of the polygon to suit the thickness you need. Finally, select all the square edges of the shape, lightly chamfer them (closed obviously) so that when you apply your final turbosmooth modifier, you get your just barely rounded (machined look) edges on the two halves, but thanks to the chamfer they are still visually separated.

Don't you just hate when you spend hours solving something, you are proud of all your hard work, then turn around and find out there was a two-second solution that you overlooked? Drives a man to drink.

Last edited by Quartermaster : 03 March 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Thank you for advice and compliment!

P.S There are no words to describe how stupid I feel after finding out that the 6 hours work could be done in barely 15 minutes.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Smal update. One of the most annoying parts in Harkonnen... in anime and manga the size of these legs and it's parts always shift so it was kind of hard to get the right size so I decided to go with general and most practical size which would let these legs to move/stand/fit on Harkonnen.

Closed:

I don't know if creator made a mistake or just forgot about this part, but if using his proportions (at least close to them) the chain part barely fits with closed legs. I will have to improvise. Regarding proportions I should forget about them when it comes to anime/manga objects.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
There is nothing better than a smell of victory. I was finally able to rebuilt this part which I had completely lost after certain events regarding crashes, wipe outs, etc...

Sometimes it is so hard to force yourself to redo what you have lost.

I still have some parts which I need to add and also I think of redoing base body (the big body part under cannon)

I would appreciate any kind of critique. Thank you very much in advance.

P.S If you have trouble viewing model or you want to see some parts more closer, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Last edited by Misucra : 03 March 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Nice work

Are there any plans for texturing?

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Yes I do plan to texture it. Just couldn't find time to get started on texturing. I should probably start this week.

Old 03 March 2014   #13
Yo guys long time no see. I am redoing few parts of the model cause I found some hidden errors. And boy this one is driving me crazy.

Any ideas?

Old 03 March 2014   #14
Haven't watched Hellsing but man, that is one big bore rifle!
Originally Posted by Misucra: Any ideas?

I assume the problem is that bit in the middle should look like the rest. Correct me if I am wrong.

Can you just delete the polys in the middle and the opposite faces and then bridge it all back together? If no, itt wouldn't be too hard to just rebuild the geo poly by poly.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2014   #15
Sorry stupid me. Didn't explain properly. This is the form how it should look. What I try to achieve is to avoid stretches once I use turbosmooth. The problem is I can't figure out a way how to make this quad or at least so it won't stretch when I turbosmooth it.

reply share thread