Superman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Superman

Hello guys,

Working on one of my personnal project I decided to share my progress wih you. So, in order to do a photorealism human head I choose the Alex Ross Superman because of his unusual head.
In fact I strateded the project 3 weeks ago and I've finished the modeling/sculp part. I decided to rework on model later to ajust some proportions and add skin HD details. I prefers wait to see the forms with render camera.
Well, I'm actually making the skin texture, using Bodypaint and Photoshop. I will post in more info and screenshot about it.
Then I want to use Vray (my first render with) and do some cloth and hair.

Hope you enjoy =)

08 August 2012
Very good start. good topology

08 August 2012
Well I started texturing (using Bodypaint and Photoshop) and put in place the lighting in order to have a feedback with composition. I use Vray and the VrayFastSSS2 shader. Nothing was finish because I like to work on a non-linear way, tweak differents parts in the same time. Here skin sculpt was not finish, especcialy on the neck.

Texturing in Photoshop:

Texturing in Bodypaint:

Lighting with Vray in Maya:

08 August 2012
start to really like the direction this is going :-)
tu fais ton rendu dans vray ou mental ray ?

08 August 2012
Rendu sous Vray (mon premier en fait), donc le but est vraiment de tester et apprendre. Mais là j'avoue que je stagne un peu pour passer au niveau supérieur sur shader de la peau. :/

Un grand fan de ton rendu IronMan depuis longtemps

08 August 2012
Last render from the weekend.

08 August 2012
Wow this is really impressive. Impeccable texturing and use of SSS. This can only get even better and I look forward to seeing more.

08 August 2012
The lips shading looks a little weird for me, the neck is too waxy looking, the ears modeling looks a bit wrong, normally the bottom of the ear is deeper into the face than the top (but I could be wrong) from the front view, & lack the soft reddish translucency in the shading.

The costume doesn't feel right as well, although I must say the shading is good. The hood looks like just lump under the main costume, the edge of the costume (collar) that meet the chest looks somewhat unnatural (for me at least), a little wavy also.

The foldings at the left side of the costume looks too // parallel & I cannot feel the pulling that casue this folds. Maybe you can have the folds line towards a virtual point towards the left top direction. To give the impression of fabric being pulled, the fold should be hard near the virtual merge point, & softer as it moved away. What you have is bout there, but I will enhance it more.

When I made clothes for characters, I always visualize where are the seams, how each pieces are sew together like they would be in real life. for instance, if there is an edge, you should find seam line almost always. The collar for example, you will normally see sewing threads (look at your own T-shirt).

The rest of the areas are fanastic, & I have no other critics.

Cheers.

Last edited by PKD : 08 August 2012 at 11:07 AM.

08 August 2012
I tried a new lighting (without the front light). Also add the eyes and now I'm waiting to receive my last vray 2.2 version to work on the hair...

08 August 2012
Can you add a front light or a reflector just so we can see the new details better?

08 August 2012
Dillster : Of course, I hesitate between this two type of lighting :

With front light :

Without front light :

09 September 2012
Nice work!!

09 September 2012
Very nice!

12 December 2012
Hello,
After a long pause I make some new render. But my problem was I'm unable to take a decision on how lighting. Please, feel free to give me your point of view. All feedback are welcome.

A - 1 light - Right rim
B - 2 lights - Left and Right Rims
C - 1 light - TopLight
D - 3 pts light - front, back and top lights

12 December 2012
Lighting D I prefer, and it's looking better and better.

Just a few notes, the reflection of the cornea looks too consistent, and his eyelids look a little too sharp near the tear ducts.

Thread Closed share thread