Character boss

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Character boss

This is continuation of this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...72&page=1&pp=15

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Heís my favourite of your actors. Proportions and the volume around the torso are suberb. A bit tricky the combination of fat and the musculous body: his thighs look like belonging to a sprinter and not to a man who didnít run since twenty years. Not so sure about his belly - itís strongly defined. Generally iíd expect more unusual shapes on such a guy (somewhat too much the ideal body, needing surprising realism).

The head is very good! Perhaps the ears could look more sensual (more special).

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Thumbs up

Thanks Zokana! You as usual have very good suggestions! I will look into those points.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
I made a quick overpaint of the head, making him a bit more natural.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I like it, all looks good to me.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Dillster: I like it, all looks good to me.

Thanks man.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
I like it, looks good! I think at the end you will break the symmetry.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Hi, nice work there.
I think you should flatten out the part between belly and the public area - even if he is fat that part doesn't fatten up so much - the belly hangs then more over. That is just from personal experience, if you had reference where it is that round and big than go with it. (I refuse googling fat guys, though )

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Thumbs up

Thank you guys for support, it's very important to me. Monica, you're totally right, I also felt it's like this, but couldn't formulate it, so I will fix it, thank you.

Last edited by mister3d : 09 September 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
I did some fixes and started detailing hands.

Last edited by mister3d : 09 September 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #11
I fixed some proportions, the knees, and some minor stuff. Maybe his feet are too big?

Old 11 November 2012   #12
I am not an expert on the obese body type, but I think the knee caps maybe too define for such a fat person. I expect lumpy fatty knee.

Also, I suppose the definition on the back of the body is too define for much a fat person.

Overall, I think you can think about loosening the definition on the arms & legs.

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Thank you PKD! Yes, there's a tendency to overdoing things. I will work on him as you suggested.

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Originally Posted by mister3d: Öthere's a tendency to overdoing things
No, itís not that youíre overdoing things at all, imo. You are very good now in human anatomy for an artist, probably better than 98% of the character modellers (incl myself). But now you could go a step further. A human doesnít only consists of muscles. This might work for bodybuilders, but all the others have hanging fat, hanging epidermis, and other special features and anomalies. Not mentioning this to bother you again and again (i wonít mention it anymore), just trying to push you toward a more expressionistic style, less about muscles, but more about bodies. Nude people are mostly looking very special, and therefore very private - try to go more for that embarrassing privacy.

The fat guy is generally very good. But you seem to handle also fat like muscles, trying to isolate those fat pads too much.

The attempt to get a thick foot is good because fat people tend to have circulatory disorders, resulting in swallen feet. The shape in the front of the ankle might be realistic for itself, but itís a standalone element somehow (and probably also somewhat low, making that bow at the top of the foot too strong).

I agree with PKD about the muscles above the knees - it looks unrealistic and therefore more like blown up muscles than fat.

So itís not the question of what kind of character one is going for. Itís more about getting all shapes believable for the particular type.

See also for example shoulders and armpits, which tend to have a specific shape when being fat:
http://lcl.mark2741.webfactional.co...uy-on-beach.jpg
http://icouldcrybutidonthavetime.fi...atman_small.jpg
http://photos.nomadicsamuel.com/Pho...h-1000x1000.jpg
the armpits from the back:
http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/18/76/67...eiYoW4bat.jp g

Hope itís useful someway...

Last edited by zokana : 11 November 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
^Zokana is the man

Hurt my eyes a little to see these pictures, but for the sake of art....

As I mention in your other thread & citing my own experience, it doesn't work alone to make different body shape just by 'scaling' & proportion.

You did well for the muscular type of figure, better than most people, as Sifu Zokana said, now you can go the next level to be able to create other body types.

Cheers.

Thread Closed share thread