PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokana
Concerning the jacket issue: windows and doors tend to have two sides to look at.

Hmmm, ok. I made some background studies last night, I will post when I feel I have some good ones.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #62
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Help need.

I spend yesterday night & tonight to look for ideas for background. These are the 3 of the better ones I manage to cook up. All are some manipulation of images from the web, but they are just for quick visualization.

Once decide, I will make proper 3D background similar to the selected visualization.

Which background you guys prefer (A, B, C, None of them)? just let me know. If you have other good ideas, I am all ears. Just note that the character pose is not set in stone also.

Last edited by PKD : 10-05-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #63
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

the second or the third

Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #64
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Your BGs are generally too busy, especially with lettering. An other aspect is the lack of contrast between girl and BG (colour and brightness), making the first two attempts even more messy. Therefore the third, but looking a bit too much 19th century for a little girl.

Last edited by zokana : 10-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #65
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Hi everyone, its time for an update.

First the background. I posted the same options on my facebook, & 'B' is favorite by far.

I think its good as well, as it drive the message of 'home', & answer questions like why is she alone & where she came from in picture 'A' & 'C', not to mention it required less work (but still a lot of work) for me (as I am short of time to complete this for the Holidays).

I will however, make it less busy, tone down the colors, & make it clear that the focal point is little Sophie.

Anyway, heres an updated picture, previousöy, it was noted that the render look flat (which I agree), & I overhaul the lighting, & I think it looks much better now. There is more 'volume' this time around. I also add transparency to the eyelashes, & redden & darken the lips a little as suggested.

It does looks a little dark now, & the main light (coming from the top right) is a little too white. But I start a new render process before I left for work today, with brighter more blue mainlight, & I shall see the result in the evening when I get back.

I am thinking of putting maps on the lights (multi color) to simulate colorful christmas lighting on the streets, what you guys think.

Also I make some adjustment to the fur on the hat, & add fur to the jacket.

I try to save render time by lower fur count, hence make the fur rather thick, but I think its not working (in looks), so I will make the fur thinner & add fur count to compensate.

Its takes almost 3 hours to render the 1024X1024 already without GI. I think the furs & hair are the main reason for the long time.

as always, C&C welcome.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #66
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I also like the 2-nd variant. I would simply reduce the amount of details just round the girl, also less snow around her (just a bit).

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #67
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
I also like the 2-nd variant. I would simply reduce the amount of details just round the girl, also less snow around her (just a bit).

Good idea!

Thanks for reminding me about the snow. Its gonna be the next big challenge.

The snow problem is 3 parts, falling snow, settled snowed, & my greatest worry, snow on the character, you know the fine snowflakes.

Anyway, an update, doesn't looks like much, but there is a lot of work between this image & the previous. Fine tuning is the hardest part. You can spend a tonnes of time, but only moderate improvements, but its the part that separate a great work from a good one. Not saying this will be a masterpiece, but I always try the best of my ability. AT least I know if something is not good in the final work, its not because I am lazy or did not spend enough time on the area.

On top of fine tuning, I also tweak in Maya, so there is less post work composition, & post work smoke & mirrors. The only smoke & mirror use is just manual masking of the furs on the red part of hat & jacket. Tried some fancy shading network & codes to make the furs only on the the outer rims of the Jacket & hat, doesn't work....

There is of course some postwork image adjustment with levels, hue etc.

So a colored version:

An a Black & white version to see the tonal composition. Everything looks more realistic in B&W isn't it, add some noises, & this will looks like photo! Jusk kidding.

The hairs & eyebrows still suck, despise so much work! I am thinking of texture in the eyebrows, & use maya hair brows (which I have now), to add volume & details.

Anyway, I will start making the background, & return to the character when I make the final composition.

Last edited by PKD : 10-14-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #68
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Looking really good!

I liked the leather gloves more from the older renders. They stand out more from the bear. I think Santa has leather gloves too .

The white hair is looking pretty good, but looks like the velvet on the hat needs more work. Sometimes with velvet, you can see the underlining fabric. It might help to give the hat a subtle fabric texture underneath the hair.

http://www.abstractfineartprints.co...ographic-print/

The skin still looks a bit waxy, but I don't have much experience with skin, so I cant offer much constructive criticism on that.

Cant wait to see the finished work!

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10-14-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #69
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Thumbs up

Great progress on details. I would light by soloing lights, e.g. you light only with one light per time and see how it defines the form and mood. Right now the fill light seems to be a bit too dark, and the sidelight, which is the strongest, should define the form more in my opinion. Also you can play with your second light. I guess you have 3 lights in total: one Gi\fill light, one toplight, which adds reflection on the face, and another sidelight. The sidelight needs a special attention, as it should be brighter and more defining the form.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #70
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Everything seems to be well done, PKD! Except the terrible lighting... What BG are you going for now? Guess that your current BG colour stands for the overall brightness and colour mood.. however - night or day - lighting must be. Made for you some editing to motivate you to turn the lights on:

Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #71
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Everything seems to be well done, PKD! Except the terrible lighting... What BG are you going for now? Guess that your current BG colour stands for the overall brightness and colour mood.. however - night or day - lighting must be. Made for you some editing to motivate you to turn the lights on:

Zokana, the Wizard of Zürich!

The funny thing is, I did not know my image looks so dark until i posted it here. I have same comments on my Facebook. I will use your image as lighting guide.

By the way, I will go for background B, the one with the house behind. But it will be make less busy.

Hi oAJo,

Thanks for the kind words. You think leather glove will be better. It was the initial idea, but I think furry gloves looks more appropriate on a little kid. But I agree that the glove furs looks like the ones on the bear. In fact it was duplicated from the bear setup & modifed. I was a little lazy here. LoL.

I agree the hat is a bit flat, especially at the side, maybe I will add a small displacement to it to give it some volume.

As for the waxy skin, I will make new renders with better lightings, & we can see again with better lightings. Cheers.

Hi mister3D,

I have 4 lights in fact. The yellow one on the left, one at top right, little blueish, which is also the main light, & a light (purplish) at the bottom. On top of a bluish environmental HDR image. In fact the blue background is the HDR image itself.

There is no GI (took too long, probably due to the amount of hairs & furs, & result is not much of improvement). But I will probably have GI on the background.

Tonight (rendering is so long I need to do overnight render) I will try to increase the man fill lights as a start to see if there is big improvement. The main problem I have is that when I turn the lights too high, the image becomes too flat.

Still have not found a solution to this problem.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #72
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
Still have not found a solution to this problem.

You have to increase the contrast. And light only against the actual background. You can have your fill bright, but then the sidelight will be almost white (and why not). Or you can make the toplight as keylight, as Zokana suggested.
Those are some screenshots from movies. It always perceives differently after you try by yourself something similar, and which makes seeing art so rewarding for some. For example now I enjoy Latin-American dance as I'm attending.

Last edited by mister3d : 10-14-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #73
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
By the way, I will go for background B, the one with the house behind. But it will be make less busy.
Ok, but make sure that you don’t have the girl on the one side and the door on the other one, which is worst case from a compositional point of view. (shift the door slightly in or out)

Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #74
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
You have to increase the contrast. And light only against the actual background. You can have your fill bright, but then the sidelight will be almost white (and why not). Or you can make the toplight as keylight, as Zokana suggested.
Those are some screenshots from movies. It always perceives differently after you try by yourself something similar, and which makes seeing art so rewarding for some. For example now I enjoy Latin-American dance as I'm attending.

Thanks for the time to make the picture. I spend a couple of hours on youtube to learn some lighting techniques (real life, not CG), & its very informative.

I have tweak again the lights, & as you suggest, light one at a time to see the effect of each light, & make a new image.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #75
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Ok, but make sure that you don’t have the girl on the one side and the door on the other one, which is worst case from a compositional point of view. (shift the door slightly in or out)

Thanks for the tip. I have started to make the house. I will post updates soon, anyway, a new image with much better light. I think I may have overdone the brightness a bit,. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.

Thread Closed share thread