Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #46
fluidfxtd
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rajendra Kumar Verma
Senior FX Faculty / 3d Generalist
Mumbai, India

Everything is perfect KD!! only thing weird is hair of cute girl and eyelashes should be more dense because of mostally in child age very healthy eyelashes.
Just my feedback
And you have better visualization KD
Best of luck man

Old 09-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #47
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidfxtd
Everything is perfect KD!! only thing weird is hair of cute girl and eyelashes should be more dense because of mostally in child age very healthy eyelashes.
Just my feedback
And you have better visualization KD
Best of luck man

Thanks. I will work on the eyelashes. Yes, the hair & eyebrows are eyesore at the moment, & this will be the last thing I worked on. In any case, they are done using Maya hair & I will probably required a lot of smoke & mirror (lots of overlay & postwork) to make them looks decent.

A small update, I wreaked a little more on the face, & add bump to the hat. I am not totally satisfied with the fur on the hat, & I am not experience in fur, & will try my best to learn while I work.

Any kind soul can tell me how to have the furs properly lighted. Right now the light (I have only one light at the moment) doesn't seems to affect the furs. I render using mental ray with FG. Maybe maya renderer is better for furs?

next I will work on the furs for the bear.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #48
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Looks good, KD! I think that the problem with the fur is more the overall illumination and the somewhat weak key light (looking not strong enough, but it might be also the tex). The skin is somewhat dark imo and also the lips are almost too red for a child. Some red spots on a pale face might better convey a festive winter feel.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #49
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokana
Looks good, KD! I think that the problem with the fur is more the overall illumination and the somewhat weak key light (looking not strong enough, but it might be also the tex). The skin is somewhat dark imo and also the lips are almost too red for a child. Some red spots on a pale face might better convey a festive winter feel.

Hi, hows your Holidays? I went to Switzerland but the weather was bad. Went up the local mountain & see only white fog. The main city was nice though, wish I had more time, but the stuff are seriously expensive!

The overall trip was nice though, but a little tiring as I did a lot of driving everyday.

Anyway, I did as you suggested.

Roses are red, & violets are blue...

Make the cheeks more rosy, I make the nose rosy as well, but I am not sure if I should tone down the redness on the nose. I also reduced the redness of the lips (not sure if too much), & lightened the skin color & also make it more reddish (less orange).

Finally, a high quality render, make a big difference, but takes a bloody long time to render. Note that the color on the bear are only base for the fur. I started to create fur for the bear, but the result is not fit for national TV at the moment.

I also tweak the eyelashes & the hair colors. I am pretty happy with the upper eyelashes, but wondering if I should reduce the eyelashes at the bottom.

I also further fine tune the model, & adjust the skin textures, mainly on the lips area, & a bit on the eyebags, to reduce the fine line highlights at the bottom of the eyebags.

Let me know what you guys think.

Note: I use some smoke & mirrors on the eyes (post work) to make it darker, & more realistic, & I will tune it later to get proper render in 3D, (otherwise, just minor level, saturation etc adjustment in PS).

Last edited by PKD : 10-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #50
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I would make the lower eyelashes not so uniform. And also would make specular texture for the face, as it looks too uniform.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #51
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
I would make the lower eyelashes not so uniform. And also would make specular texture for the face, as it looks too uniform.

Damn, you are good, I did not have a specular map at the moment. Just a simple reflect map for enhancing the lips & tearlines.

Looks like I have to make a spec map then. Anyway, I used only one soft spot light (lighting is not final as I am still pondering on the setting for the scene), for shaders/texture checks, & hence contribute to the character looks a bit flat at the moment.

I will make a proper lighting set up once I finalise the setting. Right now, only final ideas (until I change my mind)are it will be outdoor, snowy evening setting, in a park or street, or similar. Lights should come from the street lights or something.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #52
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
…but the stuff are seriously expensive!
And i thought you were happy about the exchange rate of the Swiss franc...

The skin is somewhat better - the reddish spots on the face are a good attempt, but the face looks still like covered with a dark layer of fond de teint. And why is she staring at my right ear?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #53
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
And i thought you were happy about the exchange rate of the Swiss franc...

The skin is somewhat better - the reddish spots on the face are a good attempt, but the face looks still like covered with a dark layer of fond de teint. And why is she staring at my right ear?

Because you have a shiny diamond earing! But seriously, I did not really notice, until you mention. I will adjust the eye direction once I finalize the composition. This is still a test render. I have the camera frame keyed so its easy to compare with previous render, but its no way near final.

The dark fond de teint (whatever that means) is probably due to the Ambient oclussion.

I have add a new light & make some sample rendering, & I will post soon.

Anyway, I did some work on the teddy bear. I am pretty happy with the result, but I feel the nose color is a little bit off, compare to the rest of the teddy bear, or maybe its ok?

The nose is also a little bit off centered, but I like a little bit of imperfection.

I did not have much experience with fur before this project & pretty worried if I can pulled it off (given how much things in the scene required furs), & its a big learning curve & training for me as I worked for the last week or so on the fur. I think I made some good progress in learning about fur.

The fur looks simple, but it actually took me 4 hours to tune (with many test renders) the furs.

C&C welcomed.

Last edited by PKD : 10-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #54
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Looks really great! A perfect bear, except maybe the eyes which could be darker.(and except the flat lighting, which makes the bear look like peeled from a truck wheel... )

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #55
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Looks really great! A perfect bear, except maybe the eyes which could be darker.(and except the flat lighting, which makes the bear look like peeled from a truck wheel... )

OK, I went a little too far on the reflection of the eyes. I have tune it down a little.

Anyway, here's an update render. Took about 2 damn hours to render!

There is now 2 lights, but still looks flat. Its official, I cannot be a studio photographer, LOL.

I also add a simple rim effect on the skin. Also update the head model to make the eyes more 'almond', & make the smile more natural & a little bit on other areas.

I also add a specular map, but I think its hard press to see the differences...

(Ignore the terrible eyebrows & hair at the moment first, they will be deal with later), next is texturing the cloths.

If anyone have a good picture or ideas for a background, please let me know. The idea is to have a christmas (postcard style) card image, to send to friends as christmas card image/wallpaper. Which means it will be screen res landscape format.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #56
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Take a snow-covered fir as background. An icy old window could do it as well. Or let her stand in a door...
Did you correct the eyes? (I did put away my earrings now and i still have that feel...)

Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #57
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Take a snow-covered fir as background. An icy old window could do it as well. Or let her stand in a door...
Did you correct the eyes? (I did put away my earrings now and i still have that feel...)

Oh, I mean eyes of the teddy bear. I have not yet fix the eyes on little Sophie. I also need to make the pupils appear bigger due to evening setting.

Looking out from the window is good idea, but it will be hard to explain the jacket. I like the idea of standing just outside the door also.

Let me search the net for some references, inspirations.

Last edited by PKD : 10-03-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #58
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

What lights are you using? Everything feels quite flat and I'm not sure where the light is coming from.
The shaders are not helping either. They look like standard blinns. I would suggest setting up your lighting with grey shaders on everything. Turn off the fur if you need to. I would also advise against lighting from the front as it can flatten everything but it's up to you.
When you're happy with the lighting then set up the shaders. That way you'll know how they should look in that lighting. Right now I can tell you the velvet has a way too strong, almost incandescent fresnel on it. The top she is wearing looks plastic.
The skin would have to be the best part of the render so far. But I would suggest darkening and slightly reddening the lips more.
Her eyebrows and eyelashes look a bit harsh and could do with some softening. I find some transparency in those can help with this.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #59
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD
Looking out from the window is good idea, but it will be hard to explain the jacket.
Concerning the jacket issue: windows and doors tend to have two sides to look at.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #60
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap87
What lights are you using? Everything feels quite flat and I'm not sure where the light is coming from.
The shaders are not helping either. They look like standard blinns. I would suggest setting up your lighting with grey shaders on everything. Turn off the fur if you need to. I would also advise against lighting from the front as it can flatten everything but it's up to you.
When you're happy with the lighting then set up the shaders. That way you'll know how they should look in that lighting. Right now I can tell you the velvet has a way too strong, almost incandescent fresnel on it. The top she is wearing looks plastic.
The skin would have to be the best part of the render so far. But I would suggest darkening and slightly reddening the lips more.
Her eyebrows and eyelashes look a bit harsh and could do with some softening. I find some transparency in those can help with this.

I use 2 MR Area light (spot). I think the main light may be too big & soft, which also explain very weak shadows.

Funny when you work too long on something, you forgot the obvious thing....

The clothes, as well as gloves are not textured, & shaded, which explain the blinn look, but its actually phong.

Hair & eyebrows are eyesore, & will be refine later. I will try out adding some transpareny to the eyelashes, sound like a good idae, on the eyesbrows as well.

Darknening & reddening the lips should be quick fix.

Thanks for the critics. They are very helpful.

Thread Closed share thread