Winter is coming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #31
Ok, last update for the week.

Normally, I prefer more significant process before another update, but I will be going on my holiday soon, & need time to plan & prepare will not have be back for a while.

The hat is still WIP, & I am working on the hairs to match the new pose.

Not happy with the face yet, but now that she is in the final (more or less) frame & Focal length, it is easier to tune to match the look I am going for.

I just discovered that the focal angle in Zbrush =/= focal length in Maya, which result in my model not matching my concept/reference, but this will be fixed.

But I think overall, it is looking rather close to my concept picture, & I am pretty happy with the overall composition.

But let me know what you guys think.

OK, I promise this will be the last screen cap. Next update will have proper render. Cheers

Old 09 September 2012   #32
Looks very good, PKD! Her little cap might be somewhat wide and also a bit simple. Teddy is good now (perhaps the eyes could be larger).

Cool work!

Old 09 September 2012   #33
Hi Zokana,

Actually, you can just call me KD, thats what most people call me.

Is the cap too wide, ok, I will look into it.

Its a bit simple at the moment as its still low poly, work in progress model. I would love to make high res before I post, but I need to pull myself out of this project (unfortunately), to make time to plan & prepare for my Holidays.

I have only today, & one more weekend left, While I have booked the hotels, & travel routes. I have not make detail plan on the things to do on each location.

Edit: Damn, could not resist to do final work on the model!

I make some update to her face, so she now looks more round (younger looking & also more cute, hopefully), I also fixed the nose, & some minor details.

I need to stop working on this before my holiday preparation is jeopardise.

Last edited by PKD : 09 September 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add picture

Old 09 September 2012   #34
Edit: Photobucket works now.

Anyway, as promised, finally a test render. Quality is rather bad, as I am more interested to check out the overall mood with indirect lighting for an evening scene, & making test shots, & I have to pull the plug to stop working on this project to make preparation for my trip.

A little information abit the render. Light only from an HDRI using MR Indirect lighting with FG. All objects (except eyes) have no texture & using a simple phong material.

In the end, the HDRI effect will be much sutble, & I will add some proper light sources, & refector....after my Holidays.

Immediately, there are many areas that need work.

1) eyelashes looks weird at some areas, it could be due to the low quality render, & blocky Final gather rays. But I will look into this, but

2)eyebrows,
- the obvious one is there is more density on her right brows (left side on screen),
- I wanted a darker color, & the hairs need to be a little thinner.

3)Hair
- need more work ( I did not spend a minute to tune the hair yet), & I will add some stray, wind brow fine hairs.
- They are also very artificial, & hair is too thick now.

In any case, I never managed to get good quality hair using mental ray with maya hair. The default renderer works better, & normally, I need to compose them post work.
- You will also notice the strong HDRI light from the left did not shine on the hair. No idea why at the moment, but I will look into it soon.

If someone have a good workflow, technique for better hair in Mental ray, let me know.

4) Head model, overall, I am quite happy with her look, but some fine areas I still wanted to improve.
-I need to add the small creases (or what do you call that) at end of the mouth to emphasize the smile. Also the cheek looks flat for a smiling expression, but at current subdiv level, I cannot make good cheeks, but I will subdivide a level or 2 poly level further. In the end I may need a normal or displacement map.

- The have have some areas that need touchup, some smoothing, left & right chin is a little off, but its hard to see from this picture as most of the left side of the face is covered with hair.

5) Teddy Bear
- The bear will have fur, so I am not too worried about the low res look, but I am not happy at the moment of the position of the bear in the image. Hard to pin point, but I am all ears for suggestions.
- Its clear that I have to adjust the hand & fingers to match the bear position. At the moment its not really correct, But I am not too worry about it. I will make the hand in correct position once I am happy with the position of the bear.

Thats a lot to do even before any critics, but let me know what you guys think, & also, some good suggestion for a evening snow scene.

Its a good time to lock this project until I am back from my holiday in late September. Thanks for viewing.

Last edited by PKD : 09 September 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #35
Make some adjustment to the face & added AO. I also play around with levels & curve in Photoshop.

Old 09 September 2012   #36
Amazing word. Its nice to see how you work

Old 09 September 2012   #37
Thanks. I am experiencing some lighting now. So far a lot of educational discovery, but little progress.

I also update the face to bring out the smile a little, but so far, I cannot get the rendering to punch out the details right. Hopefully I get something done & can post some progress before my holidays on Friday.

Stay tune.

Old 09 September 2012   #38
SSS test.

test render quality without FG & GI (to get fast result), with a single MR Area light (spot light). No texture on all parts. Skin is SSS fast skin without texture as well. Just playing around with values & colors. Ignore the quality hair & brows for now.

Anyway, this is the absolute last work on this project before my Holiday tomorrow. I need to go downtown (after this post) to get some stuff before my trip.

C&C welcome.

After relook at the picture, her skin looks a little too orange. Must be all the outdoor activities in the summer. Anyway, the skin will be textured with proper texture map, but its good to get a good average color as a start point for the different SSS layers I guess.

Last edited by PKD : 09 September 2012 at 11:18 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #39
Absolutely nothing to do with topic, but to share my excitement of finally going to the Swiss Alps.

Be back in October!

Old 09 September 2012   #40
Its coming nicely! The folds in your cap are very well done. Only that width is still there, the hair rather wide around the ears. As for the lighting i see two possibilities: either an evening shot with some sort of festive glittering, sparkling all over the place (incl reflections in her eyes), or bright snow (but no dirty one) with a lot of reflections coming form all the white surfaces, giving her a very fresh look.

Have a great holiday!

Old 09 September 2012   #41
Originally Posted by zokana: Its coming nicely! The folds in your cap are very well done. Only that width is still there, the hair rather wide around the ears. As for the lighting i see two possibilities: either an evening shot with some sort of festive glittering, sparkling all over the place (incl reflections in her eyes), or bright snow (but no dirty one) with a lot of reflections coming form all the white surfaces, giving her a very fresh look.

Have a great holiday!

Du auch.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yap, the hair is bad, especially after spend so much time. Oh well...I will work on it after I am done with texturing the other parts. Only thing worst than the hair are the eyebrows, but they will be fixed.

Now finally, with some decent rendering, I can see my little girl taking shape, & I am pretty happy with her face & expression. Can still improve, but I think its 95% there. I didn't realize how hard it is to make a cute kid while still look realistic. making an adult is so much easier by comparison.

Now that you mention about the festive mood, I have some ideas in my head. I think I will bring some old school sketch book to sketch on my trip (when I have some time), on ideas for background. Cheers & thanks for the support.

On a side note, seriously I went to the bank to change some Franc, & I almost burst to laughter when I see the currency. I never seen a currency anywhere like the swiss Franc.

No offence, but its kinda comical. But I guess the real joke is on us using the Euro....

Old 09 September 2012   #42
Looks cool. The only thing is the palm - it could be rounder there.

Old 09 September 2012   #43
looks so nice indeed and you got her to look cute , would love to see more of this keep them coming

Old 09 September 2012   #44
Originally Posted by mister3d: Looks cool. The only thing is the palm - it could be rounder there.

Thanks. The gloved hands are a little distorted due to some problem with the transpose rig in Zbrush.

I will return to fix it. Thanks for the paintover.

@thebest

Thanks, I will contiuze to put some hard work into this project.

Anyway, I am back from my short but very tiring trip & have started texturing!

I begin with the face. At the moment its about 70% done I reckon, but the next 30% will be the hardest. The lips looks painted on, but I hope this will be resolved when I add a bump map.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 09 September 2012   #45
Update

Thread Closed share thread