Winter is coming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Nice work, man! Sie sieht jetzt viel besser aus! If needing to offer criticism i’d choose the folds now - they are somewhat uniformly dense (while not enough around the buttons), giving a busy feel to her clothings.

Keep it up!

08 August 2012
Can't wait to see shaders and lightning. Little crit, I think her face look's littlebit old, maybe because there is no materials. Cheek should not be more baloony(tiny little bit, not as hamster , maybe i have squint )? Otherwise it looks great

SHOWREEL 2013

08 August 2012
Thanks guys for the encouraging words

Hi Zokana. The lack of fold is due to the polygon resolution not high enough to get a good quality folding at the button areas. I will subdivide the polygon a little more. Maybe I will need a displacement or normal map if it become too high for Maya.

I may be going Zürich in Late Sept, but I am undecided yet. My collegues is telling me Austria is better & cheaper. But for sure I will be on Rundreise mit Auto from 20th to 25th Sept. Maybe we can have a chance for a Beer or something.

Hi asfolton, I have made changes to the face base on your feedback. I think its a little hard at the moment without texture & render. But tuning is continous loop with render, shading, texture, remodeling until I hit what I wanted.

A little update. Doesn't look like much but the eyelashes & brows are painfully time consuming to make. Still need to fine tune though.

C&C welcomed

08 August 2012
Hi PKD

Nicely done facial hair! Great attention to the directions of hair and also the thickness and density are promising. Perhaps the brows might be slightly low for a happy look, but easier to tell when seeing the whole face. Very good work for sure!

Concerning your trip to the Alps: Austria is certainly fine, but better? Definitely NOT! (although i love Vienna very much - the tortes there are the best in the world). Switzerland, like Luzern or the Alps in Canton of Berne are quite unbeatable - these most romantic places comply perfectly with the alpine cliché. But Austria has some beautiful places as well (first of all Tyrol) and is far cheaper than here. However, September is a bit difficult for me to fix anything (and from 24th on i’ll be probably away for a week), so better to not count on me. But drop me a PM when your visit in Zurich is fixed and we’ll see.

Cheers
z

08 August 2012
Hi Zokana. I will plan the trip in the next few days. I will surely call you up if I decide on Zürich.

About the brows. I think we will see when I render, if it looks wrong, I will edit it.

Dear all viewers,
Spend last night drawing the concept picture for a Christmas special with this character. My trial for Photoshop has expired, so I have to make do with alternative softwares like MS paint, power point & MS photo viewer to make some quick edit lol. I literally scanned it in office, & do some contrast adjustment in photoview, extend the frame in paint & add the text & snowflakes in powerpoint, & do a screen cap, save as jpeg. All during my lunch break.

Let me know what you guys think of this picture, especially the feel & compostion. I intend to make this as a greeting card for Christmas.
'Frohe Weihnachten' means 'Merry Christmas in German.

Edit: Forgot to mention, like any self respecting, well inform & tasteful girl of her age, she is of course an Arsenal fan, which explain the crest on the hat.

Last edited by PKD : 08 August 2012 at 05:37 PM.

08 August 2012
Great WIP man!! really desperate to see final result....you are simply awesome n great work as well....congrats in advanced Kiadaw

08 August 2012
Thanks fluidfxtd,

This is very encouraging. I will do my best not to disappoint.

I have been hard at work in making the hair. Its 80% done in volume (of hair), but the next 20% (to fill in the space) tuning, making & stray, free hairs will take maybe 60% of the time.

Another crappy screen cap.

The eyes brows need to be fixed as well. The lips of the character need to still improve, as well as the cheek area. But its hard to evaluate without proper render, due to the poor quality for organic shape when in working windows in Maya, because she look much better in zbrush with some preset materials & shadow applied.

Once I fixed these, I will make & finalize the Chistmas special pose, as well as prepare for texturing & the long awaited (at least for myself) test render with proper shaders.

Let me know your thoughts on any other probklem with the character I may have missed, or how to improve the Christmas special composition ( I wanted it to have a christmas card feel).

08 August 2012
Looks good! You’ve already mentioned all points, so nothing left to crit. Except maybe that your snowflakes on your drawing are much too small for being the only decorative elements (but a BG wouldn’t be bad actually - i’m a bit sceptical when imagining a realistic girl, an empty white BG, and stylised blue snowflakes). BTW: The girl looks sweet on your drawing but (you won’t like this) she has a somewhat evil expression - caused by her low brows and also by the asymmetry with having one angry brow.(tell people some jokes to check their brows)

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by zokana: Looks good! You’ve already mentioned all points, so nothing left to crit. Except maybe that your snowflakes on your drawing are much too small for being the only decorative elements (but a BG wouldn’t be bad actually - i’m a bit sceptical when imagining a realistic girl, an empty white BG, and stylised blue snowflakes). BTW: The girl looks sweet on your drawing but (you won’t like this) she has a somewhat evil expression - caused by her low brows and also by the asymmetry with having one angry brow.(tell people some jokes to check their brows)

Thanks bro,

I use powerpoint & hence cannot change the background independence of the character, which explain the blue snowflake. Presumming, in the final composition, it will be more white. I am not sure however, to use thee stlylised snowflakes like now, or a realistic snow at the moment. I have no good idea for a backgrond also, but it should be simple & not destract from the main character.

Evil expression, LOL. I will think about it. Looks to have good potiential.

By the way, unless for some dramtic changes, I will be heading down to Zürich on 22, & 23 september.

The plan is to start at Frankfurt in Mittag on 21 (where I pick up my friend), head south to Bodensee (Should takes 4.5 hrs or so with break). I am undecided to sleep over at Konstanz or head to Zürich for the night. But the next 2 days will be a Zürich, before heading to Säntis, Zugsprite, Neuschwanstein & back to Franfurt airport on 25th Sept.

What do I need to know about fahren mit Auto in Switzerland. I heard horrible story abiut the traffic police & fine base on income levels from my collegues, & charges for using the road.

Also, any decent price place to stay (by Zürich standard) for 2 person & easy access to the city.

Maybe better we can talk on PM?

Last edited by PKD : 08 August 2012 at 07:27 AM.

08 August 2012
You've got a looong PM!

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by zokana: You've got a looong PM!

I went through your detail PM (thanks a lot!). I will make a reply when I make time to to do a detail planning & hotel booking. DO not worry so much, enjoy your holidays as well, I am sure this will not be the last time I go to Zürich. Not too far also from where I lived (relatively).

09 September 2012
Finally my Photobucket account works now & I can post again!

This will be one of the last screen caps, before I run some render tests.

Yesterday, I have a big scare as I discovered my UV for the character are corrupted & the buggy GoZ just downright refuse to work right. I could unwrap the UV in Maya, send back to Zbrush, & it turn in to a mess. After working late to the night, & the old school obj import expert still work best (not without a big work around typically of Zbrush).

Sorry for the whining but Zbrush have been a love & hate relationship for me. On one hand, some of the features & tools are fantastic & out of the world....when they work right, but some of the features say the rigging with transpose master, are problematic. The interface is so non intuitive that even sample tasks, sometime you have to look up the web, or try & error.

Whine over for now.

Let me know what you guys think.

09 September 2012
This is really one of the WIP that I want to follow up to end! and at last I will comment on how it would have become.

The character Modeling is very nice and I really Like it.
I recommend add some interesting mind-catching object somewhere in the scene. It will boost it up so much!

And about zBrush, its memory management I adore, but the UI has forced me to use Mudbox.

Last edited by mostafabibin : 09 September 2012 at 06:52 PM.

09 September 2012
Hi PKD, very good, great

09 September 2012
Hello mostafabibin,

Thanks. To credit of Pixologic, they have given me completely free upgrades ( I only pay for the backup CDs), & they have very good customer support, & the software is very reasonable price for a software of this nature!

I think if they make it more 'window application like', from the start, it would be more user friendly.

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot of the final render ( The Xmas special scene), & look up the net for some good Christmas greeting cards with a cute kid. Most of these are in door, but I much prefer outdoor, with maybe some light snow. I am not sure I wanted an evening or day time look, but I will post some concepts here.

Stay tune!

Hello DiGiFran, Thanks, I will continue to work hard.

Thread Closed share thread