Gohan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Gohan

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to create a hyperreal version of Gohan, whom is a character in a series called Dragonball Z ( in case you didn't knew).

Early sculpt

Lookdevelopment in PS and Nuke

Latest sculpt:

C&C is most welcome of course
www.eyellem.com

Please visit the Dutch 3D forum:
www.3dhype.com,

07 July 2012
I like the model so far. Usually, hyper realistic means weird proportions (in this case, kind of cartoony I believe) with realistic and detailed textures. If this is your objective, your textures need a lot of work!

The hair is going to be a challenge.. lol That rendering isn't very convincing, what are you using?

07 July 2012
I'm not sure what you're using as a reference but i would go more this way
http://veus-t.deviantart.com/art/So...culpt-151866474

Your gohan seems a bit to old to be young gohan and to young to be old gohan

07 July 2012
Hi Diego:
Thanks yeah hyperreal is probably a poor choice of words in this case, it will probably be more a case of not getting it to look real enough haha.
I find texturing really hard to get it right, so your definitely right about needing to work on teh texture, I will probably do this within Mari.
The hair is basically a fibermesh creation rendering is done within Zbrush as well and their more or less lookdev things, I haven't really fleshed out how I will do it in Maya and renderman when it's time for final rendering.

Hi Punkeltje:
Although I am not in a position ( skillwise) to judge other people's work the face in the link you posted doesn't really scream "Goku "at me he is to "white male"in that one, Saiyans look more like orientals or maybe a crossbreed I haven't seen any renditions in 3D except for a majin buu one which I still find amazing:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...ight=dragonball

And to address your last point...it's frggin hard to make a kid especially one with more muscles than a regular kid.
It's also hard to find anatomy pictures of kids ( since it can be a sensitive thing to look for hahah), but I will try and nail it down and hopefully I get it to the quality of that Majin buu rendition...which I found awesome
www.eyellem.com

www.3dhype.com,

07 July 2012
Its not so much that the link i send screams Goku, but one look and you know it is Goku.
How you sculpt your Gohan is all up to you. But I'm just saying that at a first look i couldn't tell that this is gohan.
Instead of a hyper real version i would try more for a 3d realization of the comic. The reason the dragon ball movie sucked so much is because they tried to do it with real people and that's very hard to do from comics.
Try to aim for the tin tin(kuifje) way, where they beautifully translated the comic into 3d

Now you are absolutely right about it being horribly hard to sculpt a kid. Especially a muscular one. Maybe try to make the face younger, age is all in the face.

07 July 2012
anyway, i feel your pain I'm trying to recreate the work of Range Murata and i'm not getting it completely right either.

07 July 2012
Only now do I see your point and yes I see what you mean that it not screams gohan.
And yes TinTin was awesome don't understand that one didn't get an oscar, to me that was 3D 2.0.
Well I hope I get it near that quality, although it's safe to say that the people working on that movie were a "little shade"more skillfull than i am.
But who knows I might stumble upon some happy accidents :P

Thanks for your comments, and I looked up this Range Murata and his work is hard to translate in 3D mostly because it almost hits that 3D quality.
www.eyellem.com

www.3dhype.com,

05 May 2013
Found time to mess with this again....

And a link to a turntable:
Gohan
www.eyellem.com

www.3dhype.com,

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread