BMW 633 CSi

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
BMW 633 CSi

Hey CGTalk,

this is my WIP thread of the BMW 633 CSi. There are a lot of different versions of that car, considering it was built not only for the German, but also for the US (and probably some other) markets.
This is actually my second car. I already did a Ford Focus somewhat 7 years ago, which turned out just awful. I hope this one will be better. Let's start off with some reference pictures and the blueprints I've been using so far.

I'm using Maya for modeling.

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Here are some first results. More to follow, very soon.

Old 07 July 2012   #3
you allow triangles on your car? lol

Old 07 July 2012   #4
Here's another update. Main part is done. Mirrored it over real quick, for demonstration purposes. Still have to fix some bulging issues on the car wing. C&C is most welcome.

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Hi Steve!

nice start so far! Can't say too much at this stage as it is straight forward modeling for now but i'm curious to see some cool renderings when the model is completed. Might be tricky to perfectly fix those dents at the front wing but thats always an annoying task.

@scote: I don't see why having triangles in general should be any problem. If he manages to fix the dents, nobody will ever complain about a triangle there!

Old 07 July 2012   #6
It's for the unwrap and lights. Triangles don't really work well with it

Old 07 July 2012   #7
hm I did lot's of unwrapping as well as shading/lighting with meshes that contained triangels.. never had problems with that. At rendering time all your quads will be tesselated into triangles anyway.. so actually triangles work with lights. I agree that it might be easyer to fix unwanted dents by using all quads.. but i'ts really not absoluteley necessary.

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Bah different point of view I do character modeling, maybe for the flow with the shapes and deformation on animation.

Old 07 July 2012   #9
hehe jap, with characters and anything that needs to be deformed, I totally agree with you

Old 07 July 2012   #10
Alright. Modeling is done. Here are the updates. The model is only smoothed by quickly displaying the subdivision version. However, I will add a real mesh smooth later on, of course. Probably with 2 Divisions, which should be sufficient. There will be some actual renders very soon. As always, C&C is most welcome.

Old 07 July 2012   #11
DO you plan to do the interior and the bar joint for the wheels?

Old 07 July 2012   #12
Yes, actually I will do the interior and the steering system as well. Right now, I'm doing the breaks. However, the interior will have to wait. I still haven't decided, which interior version of the 633 I will rebuild, since there are several. I'm also thinking about fully rigging and possibly animating the car later on. There is a lot of work to be done, before that can happen, of course.

Old 07 July 2012   #13
ok ok i ask because you send Modeling done.

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Hey CgTalk,

after a while, I decided it was time for another update...Except the number plate, there are no textures whatsoever. Only shaders so far. I used an HDRI from smcars for lighting with the suitable backplate. I realise that the number of samples in the HDR light dome is still too low. Any critique is much apprciated

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Hi Steve!

good start for the shading & lighting! Here are some comments regarding the integration..

1. try introducing some more blue in the car and/or lower the saturation slightly
2. I feel like your blacks are slightly too dark.. especially at the wheels rubber. I would try to slightly raise the gamma
3. In some areas it feels like the car has some dents.. carpaint is prone to make small dents visible once you start rendering. I think when you start texturing and introduce some dirt and weathering this even becomes a feature instead of a mistake so I'm curious to see how it looks like once you get away from the clean cg look.
4. Textures on the side of the wheels will do a lot!
5. I don't need to say that but I do it anyway.. the black windows probably are the most obvious cg part here.. so once we can see through it and see the interior, this will help a lot.
6. The plate looks quite blurry so probably the car is still too sharp.. I would suggest using a sharper plate

ok.. keep updating cheers

Thread Closed share thread