Dwarven Adventure

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Thanks for the comments everyone. Small progress update...

Still working on textures. Feel free to post crits and comments!

Old 09 September 2012   #17
The bottom short folding on the right side of the clothes (left side on the screen) looks unnatural, & I find the skin way too orange. I will make the ears & his nose a little more reddish, same with the palms' areas.

There is also some jagged edges in texture between the leather part of the shoe & the sole.

I think the belt should maybe have holes for buckle.

Otherwise, good job I say.

Old 09 September 2012   #18
PKD, you are correct on all accounts. Didn't even notice the skin was getting so orange, thanks.

I have done some more texture work, still quite a bit of tightening up to do. There is definitely some normal/displacement artifacts kicking around that need fixing (Boots and neck area). But nonetheless here is a update...
Thanks for the comments.

Old 09 September 2012   #19
I wish you made a model with a short thick mustache which would have given it magnificent lool I think

Old 09 September 2012   #20
Excellent progress, can we see a render with the beard and moustache in place?

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Originally Posted by Sundaynights: I prefere the middle one, as he seems to be pretty young but with a beard - that fits best.

Do you have more infos about the charcters life and so on? Would make it easier to comment on the style.

I agree with Sundaynights--before being able to give a definite opinion knowing a bit about the who this character is would help.

Also, would you be able to post a picture of the head or bust with your current beard model? I'd like to be able to see how the skin color works when framed by hair.

Overall I enjoy the style you've chosen to use for the model: the proportions suit him as a dwarf, as does his gear.

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ive attached a render with the hair visible. Like I said earlier I am planning on creating dynamic hair and not geometry hair so this is just stand in geometry but hopefully it gives you an idea of where I am going.
As far as the character himself, he is essentially an adventurer/treasure hunter. Without giving to much away, the animation has him out in the wilderness searching for treasure but in the end he realizes that isn't what he needs after all.
I wanted to stick with more of a simplified style and not get to realistic with it. Age wise, he isn't supposed to look young, more like mid 30s or so, not old and wise but not so young and in experienced either. I wanted him to be shorter in proportion and have an almost overwhelming backpack on his back. I guess I made him a dwarf because they are typically shorter and what dwarf doesn't love searching for treasure! I hope this helps to explain my direction a bit more. If anyone has any ideas feel free to let me know.
Cheers.

Old 09 September 2012   #23
Just an idea.
Since he is so cartoony you could make the backpack much bigger with some stuff hanging around. Giving you an oportunity to describe the character with the stuff hanging. Scrolls, cups, axe or hammer, map, compass, lantern (fire), small chair...

looks good to me but ill like to see better shading on he eye, transparecy, reflection, shadow... it looks like a flat texture. Try adding a thin dark line around the geen of the iris that helps a lot.

Keep it up. I like it.

Old 09 September 2012   #24
I agree with Argon, more things hanging around would suite him and the story, he is going to tell, well.

Old 09 September 2012   #25
The skin looks much better now. Is the eyes shader final. It look rather basic & lifeless at the moment.

Having looked at the model again, at the eyes, I cannot see any tearduct or tearline. Also at the outer edge of the eyes, the top side should overlap the bottom a little (very little) (very hard to describe without picture)

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Thanks again everyone. I have worked on the eye a little(no tear line yet), and tweaked the skin some.
I am working more on this today so stay tuned for another update soon!!

Thanks.

Old 09 September 2012   #27
Well I spent the last few days battling some displacement issues. I had to do a bit of re modeling and unwrapping but I think I am finally back on track...not much has changed at this point but here is a update anyway.

Cheers.

Old 09 September 2012   #28
love the character and the smooth lights , keep it up , and maybe some hints about the light rig

Old 09 September 2012   #29
Thanks for your comment. The lighting setup is pretty simple. I am using GI with a hdr image in the environment slot (vray 4 maya). I also have one direct light as the main light source and a vray Rect light as an added fill. Hope that helps.

Here are some bonus zbrush screen shots for anyone interested..

Old 09 September 2012   #30
New Update! Decided to remove the chain mail on the side as it covered to much of the pants.

Just starting to work on the backpack now.Stay tuned!

Thread Closed share thread