Any tips on improving ma sushi?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
Update time!

I'm still not sold on the composition. I think it needs more levels in height but I'm not sure exactly how.

Old 01 January 2013   #32
Honestly, I liked your original (previous, anyway) composition much better. The one you just posted has a lot of wasted, "blank" space, which doesn't tell much of a story or add to the scene. In face, there are more pixels in that blank space than in all your painstakingly detailed elements. Not trying to make you step backwards, but I think this layout was much better:

Imagine seeing that in a menu or food magazine. I think with some basic color-correction and "artsy" filtering, you could push this one to photorealism as it stands. Just my take on it, I really liked that one.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01 January 2013   #33
Thanks for the feedback.

Okay, comparing just the composition, I think I agree with you. I really wanted to try a more traditional still life with this but I think the subject as it stands may not be suited to this. I will revisit the old camera angle, see if I can push that, maybe change it a little.

I do like the de-saturated colour scheme a lot more though, I might try playing with the colour temperature of the lights a little, see how it looks.

Old 01 January 2013   #34
I agree that the first composition was better. There, you made the sushi the star. In your last update I feel like the sushi is just a side story to a bigger picture, but when I search for the bigger picture it isn't there; just a dark wall.

Originally Posted by Kev3D: I do like the de-saturated colour scheme a lot more though, I might try playing with the colour temperature of the lights a little, see how it looks.

I think the de-saturated scheme makes it look like a sketchy sushi bar or something but it all depends on what you're going for. Again though, I really think the brightness in your original comp made the sushi the star of your image - it brought out the fish in a really nice way. I'm sure there is a way you can come up with a really nice kind of compromise between the two.

Man do I want some sushi now...

Old 01 January 2013   #35
I think one tool that can be helpful in composition, when we've been staring at a scene for so long, is to flip it horizontally and check it from there. Often, a good image will ready like a book, from top left to bottom right. Leading lines in the scene should tend to assist this flow. Take a look at your image, flipped, and see how the sushi kinda become a side-project?

I'm not saying it should be smack-dab in the center, but if you view it from this perspective perhaps it can help you analyze your scene a bit. Just an idea!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01 January 2013   #36
Asher Thanks for the feedback, some variation between the two is probably my best bet.

Sho I've heard the advice to flip it so many times yet I always forget to apply it to my work. I thought the composition felt balanced in my original composition, now I see it flipped, it looks so lob-sided.

Old 01 January 2013   #37
So, I decided to give painting a go, to see if I could come up with an improved composition. I'm not very good, so I don't know if this was the best bet but I did a few things that I think would help with the 3D version.

Old 02 February 2013   #38
My first attempt at matching my painting. The main thing I need to do is revisit the salmon, make it look closer to what it was before.

I think I like the green and yellow colour scheme so I gave the fill light a green tinge but now I'm thinking it might be a bit too much.

Background colour is just temporary, I'll put some grass and things there.

As usual, any feedback is very much appreciated.

Old 02 February 2013   #39
Another update, worked out a few issues from the last one.

Old 02 February 2013   #40
Another update, worked on salmon a bit more, added some loose grains of rice, adjusted the rice and avocado in the rolls, adjusted candle shader.

Old 02 February 2013   #41
So what do people think, is the above version better than the previous compositions? Am I making progress here?

I didn't think it was appropriate to have the candles on during the day so I made a night version so I could turn them on.

Old 02 February 2013   #42
Okay I did away with my procedurals, took the plunge and bought some salmon to photograph. I was able to get some good diffuse and specular maps from that but incorporating it into the SSS shader was tricky.

Old 02 February 2013   #43
Here's another version. I lit the candle, added a bit of DOF, reduced the specular on the salmon, removed the corner with the grass because it really wasn't adding anything.

Old 02 February 2013   #44
This is looking really really good aha good work dude

Old 02 February 2013   #45
Cheers!

There's still things I want to change on this, I think the chopsticks need work. I'm starting to think this will never be finished haha.

Thread Closed share thread