Chateau Falaise

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Chateau Falaise

Hello,

After succesfull creating a prototype room for our clients, we have now started with the first part of the falaise project. In this part, we have to create chateau falaise in 5 different times (without textures) and create a few simple animations.

After finished, the animations will be shown to visitors of chateau falaise when entering the castle.

At first, we have to create the castle how it looks today. After this we have to recreate the castle in 4 more different times.

Here a few first screenshots:

Old 06 June 2012   #2
added some trees, reception building, small bridge and a few other things.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
a few more views of the castle:

Old 06 June 2012   #4
here a link to a veryfirst testanimation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImA9wwAUovg&feature=plcp

Old 06 June 2012   #5
A highly interesting job youíve got here! You must be quite an authority concerning medieval fortifications in the meantime. Looks superb so far!

Didnít take a look yet at the real thing, so iím just wondering: were those walls partially this thin or are they just simplified?

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Great project, I'll be keeping a close eye on this, sounds like a really cool task!

N

Old 06 June 2012   #7
thank for both much for your feedback.

@zokana: I used a detailed plan to create all the walls. So at this moment it seems that the walls are really that thin partially. I will know in a few days when getting the feedback from the client.

Old 08 August 2012   #8

Latest version.... Meanwhile we have almost finished falaise 2012, and will now continue with the 1160 version.

Old 08 August 2012   #9
a few more views of the 2012 version:

Old 08 August 2012   #10
I think such high and ancient buildings would use counterforts to reinforce it, as there were no metal carcass, so it was bigger and more cumbersome. Looks interesting and promising!

Old 08 August 2012   #11
It's the Guillaume the Conqueror Castle in Falaise, Normandy, name

Old 08 August 2012   #12
Originally Posted by Scote: It's the Guillaume the Conqueror Castle in Falaise, Normandy, name

Indeed, Chateau de Falaise was the birthplace of William (Guillaume) the Conqueror, first norman king on an english throne.

The photos you have posted are a little bit old. They have meanwhile cutted a lot of trees inside the castle.

Old 08 August 2012   #13
Looks great, Svenart! It whets the appetite to go there.

The reason for the thin look of the walls might be the low ground level inside the walls. Plans aside, the ground looks obviously higher on photos:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_falaise_4.JPG

and the old wall seems to have been partially about five times thicker on this photo:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...10_Calvados.JPG

An other crit concerns the greenary: trees could be almost double size when comparing to photos. The whole complex with small trees is looking larger on your model.

Simplifications on the model are plausible, they also help with having a good overview. Only the base of the main building is somewhat too straight, making the thing looking like a modern block - the irregularities of the walls could make it look more authentic.

Hope you donít mind the nitpicks - the model is either way a cool documentation. And i guess youíll be anyway faced with changes when working on the older versions.

Keep it up!
z

Last edited by zokana : 08 August 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #14
Originally Posted by Svenart: The photos you have posted are a little bit old. They have meanwhile cutted a lot of trees inside the castle.

Well I google it. I don't go there many often.. Europe is cool for that.. few 2 hours and you can go anywhere.

Old 08 August 2012   #15
thank you both for your comments.

@ zokana: your feedback is always very welcome. I think a few things what you said are more than true. A few of the walls are too thin (2012 version) and will be improved soon. You are also right about the trees, at least a few of them could be bigger i guess. But please note: I only have to do simple modelled version of the castle in all times (no textures) in this part. There is also one part where I have to recreate 6 views in high detail, but in this part everything should only have a nice, but not too detailed look (for animation, explaining the castle and its parts in different times).

@ Scote: no problem, thanks for you comment.

Thread Closed share thread