Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

3D Kitchen interior - reachin' for the stars here

Hello, I finally got some down-time at work to spend learning mental ray for Maya further, and thought I'd refine an existing scene to see if I can approach some semblance of realism. No backdrop yet here, but I'd appreciate any critique and helpful comments towards improving this scene!

One of my biggest kitchen projects (in real life), so I thought give it a shot:

Feel free to give me hell here! I deserve it. (grins)

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
jonu5123
jonathan usiak
www.usiakart.com
san francisco, USA

First off, i dont understand why people dont comment on good work. I myself had about 80 views and no comments. Mine cant be that perfect. So i was looking for others with 0 comments and i found yours. I must say its very impressive. I do notice a few things that may need adjustments. I currently teach a basic texture and lighting class so im used to noticing the little things.
The lighting is beautiful, i think one of the biggest areas is reflection. Not everywhere, just a few spots. Such as the oven. Right now its so reflective that i feel like im looking through a hole to the other side, or a mirror. On the third panel down the lights that are hitting the beams on the ceiling are too speckled. Maybe turn it down some? COuld be the result of the bump.
As a texture comment - maybe tone down the bump a tiny tiny tiny bit on the wood floor. Also if you look as the first panel, i notice the wood panels may be a little bigger than usual. Maybe not, maybe its just me, lol.
Looking great though so far!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Thank you so much for your feedback, jonu5123! I'll certainly work on the bump mapping, especially for the white-painted wood objects. The floor is the proper width but I can do better, for sure. Those planks couldn't go wall-to-wall in real life; some staggered lengths would certainly help.

Do you mean on the oven's front, the glass window is way too reflective? I totally agree, it should be dark black glass if anything, so I'll change that. Or did you mean the metal material was too shiny? I struggle with proper metals sometimes.

And I need to find or make a good IBL for the outside too, of course. I'll post up some changes when I can, thanks again for your feedback.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
neryx
harlequinn

portfolio
Phylicia Fletcher
Associate Lead Tester
Las Vegas, USA

Nice job so far! Though, I agree with jonus5123, the reflection values on your countertop and stove are too high; also, the entire scene seems too clean. There are no smudges anywhere or messes, or even any appliances out to indicate that the kitchen is being used. If you were going for a brand new kitchen, then it's great; otherwise, I think it would benefit from a bit of clutter.
I think your lighting is really nice and even matches with what you have outside- like it could be a foggy day. In your second and third image, I think your specularity might be too high-- I've never seen a ceiling that shiny, so you may want to take that way down. All of the images seem a bit grainy in places, but that's most likely just your render settings so easily fixable. And last couple things I noticed- rounding out those edges of your sink will help the transition from the counter top look more natural and I feel like it's a bit too dark inside of your cabinets.
Very nice work so far- I remember one of my first lighting projects was a 3d bathroom, and your faring far better than I, so keep it up!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
jonu5123
jonathan usiak
www.usiakart.com
san francisco, USA

. yeah it was the glass part of the stove. looked like a mirror. lets just say this is better than what most of my students put out

Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
jonu5123
jonathan usiak
www.usiakart.com
san francisco, USA

what was your texture process? all photoshop, or maya 3d shaders? or mudbox (what we use in class)

Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Thanks for your input as well, Sofabound! I appreciate it and will make the adjustments after the American weekend thing.

@jonu5123: Thanks for the compliments, I've been doing arch/viz for some time now but it's usually just residential remodeling I do. This kitchen exists and I measured it all out, all the appliances and fixtures are modeled to spec, and the textures are all photos I took of physical samples. Photoshop entirely, to put it simply. I operate on daily deadlines most of the time, and for pennies really, so rarely do I get the time to make good images. As a contractor, we use the imagery only to close them and get the clients to sign on the dotted line, and when you only have a few hours to bang out some 3D renderings and print them, often I have to get pretty sloppy.

So this one's my attempt to "go big" really. It's also the best laid-out kitchen I ever worked on, and the house itself is on a cliff overlooking the sea, and is quite charming. Hopefully I can do it justice, and your help is much appreciated! This project is just for fun now, and to help me learn and refine techniques.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Inzie09
portfolio
Lindsay Dale
Columbua, USA

First of all....Awesome job! I know i never really get comments on my work on here, i just recently posted my first animal with no replies, its sad. But anyways I am still a student and I did a bar environment and i will tell you what a friend from dream works told me. If you want it super realistic, you want this kitchen to look like it's been lived in, everything is just so neat and perfect. Some of the textures are a little too shiny. For my bar, everything looked so neat and perfect that yea it looked real "for an architectural rendering" So I would recommend going in a adding little chips in the granite here and there, things like that to really bring it to life. Hope this might help, but I love it, this kitchen is beautiful, it just needs a little more personality and story.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Thanks for your input as well, Inzie09! I very much agree with your remarks, for sure. I'm working on scenes like this to be represented as "brand new construction", or what the project would look like after the client's done dropping $65K on their kitchen, so I'm not too worried about artistry or a "lived in" look for this scene, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Perhaps some kitchen utensils, pots and pans, and various cluttery things would add to the realism while keeping the scene looking newly finished, though, so I'll work on that too after the lighting and shading is better.

One of my goals in this scene is to approach realism while maintaining a reproducable workflow that will help my future scenes too. So most of my fixes will be on a shader/lighting level as opposed to modeling changes. Fortunately the lighting in this one seems to be working pretty well.

I'm working on this one right now actually and will have some new renders to post up shortly. What I've done with the countertop granite (which needs to be flawless in terms of modeling) is to tweak its shader a great deal, lowering the IoR and switching it over to a "metal material", where the reflections are colored by the texture map and not just a white overblown highlight like we see in the renders above.

Also fixing normals I found which were aberrant, and tweaking the metal, glass, and wood shaders as well. Thanks for your input folks, back in awhile with a new batch of renders for further examination!

Edit: Well I got swamped by "real work" today, but managed to finish the first update render. The other two will follow tomorrow, but perhaps there's some progress here?

Previous render for comparison:

Last edited by InfernalDarkness : 05-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Inzie09
portfolio
Lindsay Dale
Columbua, USA

It definately looks like it should since ur going for the brand new look. Since I am still a student I am still learning as well and its nice to give feedback that ive been told Just throw in some kitchen utensils and you will be set!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
stone cold ninja
Veteran

Brian Belcher
USA

Hey Infernal Darkness,

Only being negative because you're asking for it, but I don't think the lighting in this is appealing. It looks like someone took a photo of an interior while their camera was still set for bright daylight. The result is that the image looks way too dark, even though I think the finishes in the space are supposed to be quite light: white cabinetry, light floors, etc. I also think because you have such high contrast between direct sunlight and everything else, the image feels pretty flat. Don't feel like there is a range of values here. I would experiment with your GI and exposure settings.

Just one guy's opinion.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Thanks Stone Cold, I do concur and didn't take it wrong at all. There's certainly some more work to be done! Likely, I need to push the sunlight back to 1.0 and increase the can lights inside to accommodate, and also run a lens shader to even it all out linearly still. Certainly still ill-exposed, so I'll work on that as soon as the materials look a little better.

Some progress today, hopefully:

And the previous render for quick comparison:

Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

And the third angle's render, updated:

Compared to the previous render:

Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Another update, per Stone Cold's suggestions. Hopefully the lighting is more even here and less flat, or at least the sunlight is a little better?

Previous render:

Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
boboroshi
Crack Child

portfolio
John Athayde
Partner at Meticulous (meticulous.com)
Meticulous
Charlottesville, USA

Send a message via AIM to boboroshi
Great shot so far!

With the lighting, bright direct sunlight like that is going to bounce. You'll get a lot of warm color on the walls and ceilings. The down lights will have some effect, but they'll be quite secondary to the intensity of the sunlight.

Even dropping it, the light on the upper white cabinet (when you can see the stove front) just seems like night lighting compared to the bright windows that even on a cloudy day would overpower a light bulb.

Mesh Warping in Shake Macro
The Sandbox - all CG short film from 2005

Thread Closed share thread