Bell Uh-1 "Huey"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2013   #16
Heh... hello again!! Long time since last update! I was veeeeery lazy, but finally I started to work on interior. I'm doing something like middle level of details, since I believe that most of it will be barely seen in the final images/animation. So I'm trying to make a lot of elements inside the chopper, but some of them are quite simple.

As always please click on the image and select "show image" to see bigger resolution. I made 6k render to test details of model and I'm thinking that it is enough

my wip: Bell Uh-1

my work: Land Rover Defender in the forest

Old 01 January 2013   #17
Yess great to have you back! the details are incredible! keep up the good work!

Jonathan

3D Artist

New website!

www.jonathankrijgsman.nl

Old 01 January 2013   #18
Originally Posted by jonathankrijgsman: Yess great to have you back! the details are incredible! keep up the good work!

Jonathan

Thank you! Hope I will not have such a long breake in the future

Old 01 January 2013   #19
wow, great detail, congradulations! can you tell us how you went about creating that nice panel look, that the chopper is made out of several parts which are then nitted together with the rivets? and when you're at it, what was your workflow in creating all those rivets? is that displacement/bump or actual geometry? if it's geo, did you place those by hand or came up with some faster solution? a lot of questions, I know..would be great if you could shine some light on that...keep it up

Old 01 January 2013   #20
Originally Posted by The_FubaR: a lot of questions, I know..would be great if you could shine some light on that...keep it up

Not a problem...as soon as someone is interested in my work, it is a pleasure to answer all questions..

Originally Posted by The_FubaR: wow, great detail, congradulations! can you tell us how you went about creating that nice panel look, that the chopper is made out of several parts which are then nitted together with the rivets?

Well, I followed the reality. In real life, almost all flying objects are made from single panels, so I created all of them. It was quite simple, maybe a little time-consuming, but it is personal, home project so I have time At the beginning I created basic shape of the chopper, when I decided that it looks good with meshsmooth x2 I started to cut it and made final panels from it. The main idea was to make copy of main body object, set meshsmooth to x1 and convert the object to editable poly, so I got much detailed wire. Then I was able to delete all polygons except "panel" polygons. Thanks to this operation this new, seperate panel was placed in exact position and its corner was connected to the shape of the body of chopper. At the and I just needed to add some thickness to new panel. Of course it is main, basic idea and sometime this operation needed much work, but all in all it works very fine It is quite hard to explain, so maybe THIS SIMPLE IMAGE helps to understand it...

Originally Posted by The_FubaR: and when you're at it, what was your workflow in creating all those rivets? is that displacement/bump or actual geometry? if it's geo, did you place those by hand or came up with some faster solution?

Well, rivets are seperate objects and were placed by hand, usually by Object Paint (it is basic 3ds max options). This is quite good idea, coz all objects created by object paint are instance copy, so can be modified by editing first rivet. It saved me a lot of time when I noticed that my rivets are too small...of course I noticed this after few hours of work Of course you can find few different rivet and screws on the model.
But to be honest, I'm not sure what is better, placing rivets by hand or make them using displacement or bump... Since this is my first flying object ever, I'm learing so I will know in the future if I chose good options.

Old 01 January 2013   #21
Thumbs up

Wow, amazing level of detail. may i ask how much time did it take you to create this model? And are you planning to make textures for it as well?

Old 01 January 2013   #22
very nice...thanks for answering all the questions, that really helps a lot to understand your workflow..can't wait to see more updates...

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Arcymaszon: Wow, amazing level of detail. may i ask how much time did it take you to create this model? And are you planning to make textures for it as well?

Well, it's hard to tell, since I have been working on it for more than half year, but with a lot of breakes. I do not count my time, but definitely it is tooooo long, because of my laziness Of course model will be fully textured. More than this, there will be second version of it - medevac.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Wow! Great detailing.. I'm very curious to follow your project! subscription done

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Hello again. Please take a look at next update. I made some safety belts and started to work on damping material on the walls. And this will be all in this week, since I will be out of town for next few days. Take care!!

As always you can click on the image and click "show image"

Old 01 January 2013   #26
Hey man,

Incredible work!

Did you use polys for the bolts and insulation?

-AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #27
I so love this model! All the detail, nice and clean
Fantastic work and I can;t wait to see it textured!
How are you going to deal with unwrapping and all the rivets? When you un-distort the UVs of the panels, how do you make sure the rivets stay in the right place in the UV space? Just curious

Cheers
Andre

Old 01 January 2013   #28
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

Incredible work!

Did you use polys for the bolts and insulation?

-AJ

Thanks for good words. Everything is made by poly modeling, if you asking about it - I'm not planing to make huge close ups, so there is no reasons to use very detailed models from Zbrush. I was thinking about displacement too, but it takes to much time to calculate, and making a good maps for it would probably take me more time than modeling:P

Originally Posted by ACantarel: I so love this model! All the detail, nice and clean
Fantastic work and I can;t wait to see it textured!
How are you going to deal with unwrapping and all the rivets? When you un-distort the UVs of the panels, how do you make sure the rivets stay in the right place in the UV space? Just curious

Cheers
Andre

I'm honored to hear that from you Of course I'm much below your level, but I'm trying to reach it as close as possible!
As far I have no idea how to answer your questions:P I have got few unspecified ideas how to match rivets to texturs, but I will be testing it in near or far future:P Of course I will give you a sign if I solve this problem And I watch your wip, so I hope that you will get some geniuse idea about it...:P

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Very nice model and outstanding detailing.
Can't wait to see it textured.

Theres just a technical detail jumping into my eyes concerning the hinge-joints of the cockpit doors: the rotational axis of the upper and lower joints in your model don't seem to be parallel. As a result the joints would break when opening the front doors. Heres a high resolution shot showing how to model them correctly.

http://www.dorniermuseum.de/dm-wAss...s ichtigen.jpg

Old 01 January 2013   #30
DeFi, hyhy yea... I see what you are talking about - will be remember to change it There is probably a lot of mistakes like this, since I'm lazy and sometimes I do not want to work a lot on details:P

reply share thread